• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male cockatiel gets mad when...

Chiiaraaaaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiara
My male cockatiel gets really mad when I try to preen him. Is this normal? My female is never in need of some preening, but my male doesn’t do it him self or can reach his head. But I like to preen him (idk why, if satisfy me to do it)
But just a few minutes ago he got real mad again, bit me for real, not a little nibble. And now he is being mad on top of his cage.

(He is also mad at me because I didn’t allow him to drink my drink)

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I’d just leave him along until he cools his jets. Birds are like big ol babies, temper tantrums and all. If you try and handle him when he is mad you will only get hurt and reinforce his behavior. So just be nonchalant, say whatever and walk away.

Chiiaraaaaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiara
Haha yes I’m leaving him alone. But when he joins me and cuddles with me I can’t help it but try. Maybe I also need to stop trying lol

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Haha yes I’m leaving him alone. But when he joins me and cuddles with me I can’t help it but try. Maybe I also need to stop trying lol
Cuddles need to be on his terms and if he loves cuddles then you are reinforcing his bond with you. That’s a great thing. Never force cuddling tho, especially if he is MAD :explode: :slapfight: (<——- love these haha)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Many birds do not enjoy having people preen them. Just so you know, if you are trying to preen pin feathers, they can be sore to the touch so that could be why.