• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male canary whispers his song?

dayflowr

Checking out the neighborhood
I got a male and female canary back in October of last year. The male chirped a lot but did not sing. Just this month, I noticed him sitting near the female and when I shushed everyone and muted the tv, I could hear he was singing a beautiful song, but so quietly that it's barely audible. Do I have a defective canary? Is it because he has a female in with him? Is there anything I can do to help him sing audibly?

I didn't really get the pair to do a lot of breeding. They were just a good deal as a package with a cage (I raise goats and I know that the better quality animals cost more, but since I'm just starting out I didn't want to invest tons of $ and end up with disaster on my hands). The woman who was selling them at the canary show said he had been singing earlier that day. I'm wondering if she was being truthful...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
a defective canary? I hate that statement. He i singing a beautiful song to his girl..the only one that really counts in this picture. and do not think of separating them..they are bonded and that would be cruel..they do have feelings. It could be that he just doesn't want to sing out loud.

dayflowr

Uh, the point in having a male canary is to hear his song. I paid good money for that. I want to know why he is not singing, if it is something I'm doing wrong. I've read many places that people say not to keep the male and female together, but I am keeping them together for now.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I found this

A common frustration for the canary owner is a non-singing bird. For the newly acquired pet, a little time is all that is usually needed. Some canaries will sing their first morning in the new home, but many take up to two weeks to adjust to a new cage and environment. To avoid disappointment, buy a male that is at least 6 months but less than 3 years old. He should be the only bird in his roomy cage that is placed high in a well-lit, draft-free room.

A canary that stops singing after a while may be a female. Some young canary hens sing but they usually stop after their first baby molt. Other hens may sing sporadically throughout the year, but they rarely have the consistency or duration of males. If your bird tries to build a nest in the spring or ever lays an egg then you have a hen and you should not expect it to ever sing well.

A common mistake is to think your male canary is lonely and get it a mate. A hen in the cage may initially cause a lot of courting song, but she often inhibits the male from singing once she settles in. Similarly, if a mirror is put in the cage, there may be more song at first, followed by less singing. A worse problem is to put another male in the cage which will cause a lot of fighting. Both become exhausted and then neither sing.

Eventually, every canary enters a silent period. The first thing to consider is whether the bird is molting (losing feathers). Most canaries stop singing for a couple of months each summer while they concentrate their energy on replacing all of their feathers. Some young birds may sing during the molt, but as they get older they are less likely to. So, a summer molt is a normal and expected reason for canaries not to sing, even if they sang through a previous molt.

Canaries can also molt at other times of the year. Molting is usually triggered by exposure to more than 14 hours of light per day. Warmer temperatures also can start a molt. Finally, stress can cause molting to begin. A classic case is acquiring a bird in the winter that was kept in a large, outside aviary, then keeping him in a small cage in a warm room with the lights on. The stress of the new home, along with the heat and extra illumination are almost guaranteed to start a molt! After a couple of weeks, feathers start falling out and the bird no longer sings.

Once a molt has begun, the only thing you can do is wait about 2 months until it is over. It is important to feed your canary extra protein during this period. If the bird is on a seed diet, supplement it with egg-biscuits, which are available at pet supply stores. Soak in water before serving the biscuits.

After the molt is over, some older birds might not sing for a while. Try playing classical music or a tape of canary song to get your bird started again.

Canaries need to molt so don't try to prevent this to keep your bird singing. If you keep a canary in a room with a constant amount of light year round then after a couple of years it will probably die. To keep a bird healthy, vary the amount of light exposure as the seasons change to match the natural day length.

A canary that stops singing but is not molting is probably in poor health. Birds hide their illnesses so this can be the first and maybe only sign that they are not feeling well. Get a book on canary care if you don't already have one and make sure you are doing everything you can. For instance, proper nutrition is crucial to long term health. A seed-only diet is not sufficient for canaries. Supplement with egg-biscuits and vitamins or convert to pellets. The cage should be large enough to provide horizontal flight for exercise, otherwise the bird may become too fat to sing. A canary can also be too thin to sing. As a bird loses weight it puffs its feathers out more to keep warm, so ironically the owner thinks the bird is fat. Catch and hold your canary to diagnose this problem. If you can feel the bony ridge of the breastbone, it is too thin. Also check for parasites

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
. He’s a she.

Hens don’t sing. At least about 95% of hens don’t sing. Occasionally, a singing hen will show up but it is rare. And even singing hens NEVER match the vocal abilities of their male counter-part.

Here’s the problem...

It’s very difficult to tell a male from a female. It’s not uncommon for breeders and pet shop clerks to make mistakes regarding the sex of a canary. One thing you can do when buying a canary is ask for a guarantee that the bird will be a singer. Many breeders will be happy to do that for you.

2. He’s too young.

Male canaries don’t start singing until they reach maturity. Canaries reach maturity at around 9 months of age. Most canaries hatch out in late winter or spring so if you buy a canary in the summer you may have to wait a few months to find out if you’ve got a singer.

3. He’s molting.

Molting takes place from mid-summer until around early autumn and it’s such a stressful time that your canary will almost certainly stop singing. Growing in all those new feathers takes a lot of energy. After the molt your canary will want to settle into a long period of rest prior to breeding season.

4. He’s suffering an off-season molt.

Like I said above, canaries molt in the late summer. However, the molt is triggered by the shortening of the days after the summer equinox. So, if you’re confusing your bird with artificial lighting, he may not know whether to molt or breed or rest. Those late nights watching Leno or Letterman may be disturbing your canary’s natural rhythms.

Try to give your bird a natural amount of daylight hours by covering his cage with a cloth at sundown and uncovering the cage at sunrise. This will help keep his system in check and on schedule.

5. He’s sick

This is probably the most common reason why an otherwise well-cared-for canary won't sing. If your canary is not feeling well he may stop singing.

Keep in mind that it’s very difficult to tell if you’re canary is ill. In fact, you likely won’t notice any symptoms until the illness is so far along that your loving canary is on his death bed.

That is, unless you know what to look for.

Some of the most common symptoms are...

• Listlessness

• Huddling on the bottom of the cage

• Not eating

• Over-eating

• Sneezing and coughing

• Plus many, many others.

There are far too many symptoms to list or explain here. But once you’ve learned what the hard-to-spot symptoms are you will be in a much better position to take care of your canary bird the way he deserves.

And when you’re taking good care of your canary with a healthy lighting schedule and the ability to spot and treat any canary ailment that might pop up, you will be well on your way to making your canary S-I-N-G!

abraham

Is your canary by chance a "Harz roller" bird? If he sings with his beak closed that is a dead giveaway that he's a roller.

I owned a Waterslager (which is also a breed of "roller" canary) and I remember his sweet song was also quite soft. In fact, the first time I noticed him singing it took me a few moments to register what was going on because I assumed I was hearing a faint tune in my head. My roller's song was both beautiful and very soft or "quiet" (compared to my mom's Timbrado who one can hear literally down the block). Had I kept in in a room with a television I am certain his song would not have been audible as it would surely have been drowned out amidst the noise.

When I bought my Waterslager the bird store clerk told me that rollers are often referred to as "apartment canaries" because they aren't very loud and thus make great pets to keep in places were noise levels ought to be kept minimal.

I asked if your bird is a "Harz roller" because those are supposed to sing the softest tune of all canary breeds, even softer than Waterslagers. I can only imagine they sing a very quiet song indeed since I only have the bubbly, soft Waterslager tune in my mind for reference.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
Well, for one thing, canaries are territorial and extremely promiscuous so they simply do NOT bond (and that's why breeders who care only about the number of birds they can sell would pair one male to two females). They never do well when housed with another bird, not even a female. It's very stressing to them and it shortens their lifespan considerably so the first thing you need to do is separate them and put each of them in a medium size flight cage. As to his song, babies don't develop their 'final' song until their first breeding season, any song before that is just practice. Now, not all males sing loud and some males will not sing if housed with another bird because they fear retaliation (song is a form of aggression in canaries). There are red factors that have a very soft song (I have a beautiful red and black male that I can never hear because my Timbrados drown his song) as well as other color and type canaries (you did not say which breed he is) for the simple reason that they are not bred for it but for beauty. Song canaries breeds are only three: Spanish Timbrados (loud and almost constant song, bells being their trademark sound), German Hartz rollers (soft and melodious, rolls been their speciality and the closed beak with 'trembling throat' their identifying characteristic) and Belgium Malinois (aka waterslagers for the hollow water sound that characterizes them -they are the softest in terms of volume and tone).

If you want loud and excellent singers you should get two male Timbrados and put them in two flight cages, one above the other (so they can hear but not see each other), this will give you non-stop song that can be heard throughout the entire house.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Bibi is correct. If you want song, you keep the cocks separate from the hens. The song is territory claims and courtship. Why should he sing if he already has a female? And I believe the breeder when she says he was singing earlier; she probably keeps her cocks and hens in different cages according to sex to keep them from breeding. She may even keep them in individual cages to decrease fighting and territoriality.

I got four canaries, three cocks and one hen, from a friend two years ago. I got a big flight cage and put them all in there. The hen would not make a nest, the cocks did not sing except for very quiet practice songs. I spoke to the breeder and she told me about keeping all the birds in separate cages to encourage song and decrease aggression. I left the hen in the flight with one cock and put the other two in separate cages. Immediate song. Three weeks ago, I finished the walls of my birdroom and the safety measures needed to make sure very small birds would be OK in the room. I opened the cages and let all the canaries out and they have now been cage free for three weeks. I have abundant canary song and the hen is preparing a nest (I am not going to breed; I have fake eggs to substitute if she lays). They are happy little birdies and get along well with all the other birds.

The Canary Mafia if cage free and happy.