• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making a house bird safe?

Animal lover35

Meeting neighbors
I wanted to know how to make my house bird safe as I might be getting two cockatiels soon. In my house we have a cat so I want to know what to do with her when the birds are out that is not locking her in a room? I also want to know how to get Teflon out of my house and I want to know is there any other dangerous cleaning chemicals?

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I use stainless steel cookware. As far as the things the birds touch, I clean with only very hot water. I figure, better safe than sorry. My mom had several cats when she had her conure. He did not fly, but held his own with the one cat who loved to play with him. The cat, who was declawed, would bat him gently off the arm of the couch onto the cushions. The bird would climb back up to cuss the cat out. But of course the cat had cut and run as soon as she had knocked the bird down. Good luck with yours.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
It's best to assume that something is not safe until it can be proven otherwise. I do most of my cleaning with a 50/50 vinegar-water solution. Anything that requires a harsher or specialized cleaning product is done outside or in a well-ventilated room well away from the birds. Things like aerosols, air fresheners, and candles are a no-no. Some people get away with using mild bleach solutions for cleaning, but it's not something that I've ever felt comfortable with.

As for cookware, I use ceramic, stainless, and cast iron. I haven't cooked with non-stick since I brought my first bird home. When shopping, you want to make sure that whatever you buy is PFOA and PTFE free.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
For cleaning i use proper bird safe cage disinfection from pet store

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
We use a vinegar water solution also! I also use F10 for the deep cleaning once a month.