• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making a 16.5 year old lovebird more comfortable

Mikkan77

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone , I just joined this forum to get some advice on how to make my old man more comfortable . Just a warning I will be mentioning the topic of end of life care below so it may be upsetting to some .

I have had my lovebird Griffin since he was 8 weeks old and now here we are 16.5 years later. I'm at a loss for how to make him more comfortable as he has been progressively having more seizures daily. They stated a year and a half ago when he started "stargazing " and lost his ability to fly. The avian vet said it was just some sort of central nervous system disorder and nothing could be done due to his age and that as it progressed to bring everything lower and to stop letting him out of his cage to prevent injury.
In the last two weeks things have gotten really bad , and everything has been lowered to the cage floor and 95% of his toys have been removed. He seizes daily, loses his ability to grip and ends up barrel rolling across the bottom of the cage . It's absolutely heartbreaking to see him this way. He was once so strong and spunky and now he just seems so frustrated at his inability to do things. He doesn't chirp or sing .. he spends most of his time in his happy hut on the cage floor. We have a towel on the bottom now which has helped a bit and he does come out a bit more. I sprinkle seed and millet on the ground for him so he can forage ( he has always been a bird anomaly and isn't a fan of fruit and veg , and won't touch pellets) he will only have a little bit of jalapeño .

I just feel like I'm failing him and don't know what else to do to make him comfortable and happy. His cage looks so barren and boring and his quality of life is just terrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make his day to day life better for him ? I'm lucky in the sense that I'm on Mat leave right now so I can spend lots of time with him but he does spend most of his day napping ...

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
This is sad. You've done everything you can so at this time talking to him when he's awake is a good idea. Hold him if he lets you. Keep his environment cool/warm and dry. I have a blind bird who sleeps on a cuddly toy and yanks on bells to get my attention. Mayne you can provide a cuddly toy when he's out of the cage?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
This must be so very difficult for you.
I believe you are doing everything possible to keep him safe and comfortable.
Sending a hug and prayers.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We all grow old - boy do I know that.
The only thing I can think of for your boy is to ask the Vet for a prescription of gabapentin for him. Gabapentin will serve as a pain reliever and it has properties that reduce seizure activity.

And love him every minute.

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
Hi there! Your old Griffin reminds me a lot of my Buddy. He passed away at 24 with a lot of the same symptoms as you're describing, with seizures and losing his flying and personality. We ended up putting Buddy on a rather good dose of what's essentially bird narcotics, just to ease the effects of his liver disease. He plucked his feathers at the end of his life, and looked like he was really cold, so we made sure he was warm. Blankets, happy hut and warm lights and whenever he was out he would run right for a warm place to have a nap. All you can do now is hold him and hope he's cosy and happy, you're doing everything else right. If he liked toys before, could you put some paper or foot toys on the bottom of his cage to play with? Or a broad spectrum UV lamp? You never know!

I'm sorry Griffin isn't well, but you make sure you cuddle him a lot and he will be happy :)

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Platform perches are great and getting a blanket or 3 to cover the bottom of the cage in case he should lose his footing or beaking. Both my babies are 17 going on 18 this year so I know how you feel. It is a trying thing figuring out how to make them comfy when they start getting up their in age. I would talk to the vet about getting something to help with the seizures and the pain like @Hankmacaw has said. They should be able to get something going to help out and try to make his quality of life a little better.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
You are dealing with end of life issues and your heart is in the right place. What a lucky little bird to have known you all these years. I would just keep perches/platforms low and a soft towel below. And like Lisa said above.......just hold him and love him in the time you have left. Glad you stopped by to share your story with us, don't be a stranger.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
2 years ago I went thru the exact same situation with my lovebird. I did all the things you are doing. Re-arranged the cage for a handicap bird, etc. A year before he passed away he got up in the AM with his head leaning to the side, I guess it's called stargazing. The vet pretty much said the same yours did. She took xrays and gave me her diagnosis. 6 months later, his head went back up but started to have seizures. A few vet visits later, I got some anti-seizure meds. He never seemed to be in pain, just very confused what was happening to him. Before I had the opportunity to give him the meds, he had a seizure and died in my hand. Very sad. He was 19 when he died. Appreciate him while you have him.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I know how you feel, Kamara passed away at age 15 but she went quite suddenly one night. Definitely speak to a vet about end of life care, perhaps call around and see if any are experienced with elderly birds? I had to take Kamara to the University of Guelph for a lot of her care because of all the abuse she suffered and her advanced age

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So very sad to hear... but so very glad that you have come to see if there is anything that can be done for him! God Bless! :hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Gabapentin is a really good med...I have two on it for mutilation/anxiety issues. Because cheekies are small, they can't take some of the other drugs. Since you are dealing with end of life, I think it wouldn't hurt to try things.

:hug8: