• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Magellan hasn't been eating! :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperdragon

Rollerblading along the road
I admit I know nothing about turtles, but is water lettuce safe? It is a quick growing, floating water plant without plugging up the filters. I had them in my freshwater fish tank for a long time and I loved them!
Yeah, it's safe, that's one of val's favorites.

Editing so I don't double-post: This is the cleaner thing she ate at her first home:
http://www.petco.com/product/6313/TetraFauna-ReptoGuard-Turtle-Health-Conditioner.aspx
Doesn't that look tasty? lol

By the way, I'm not trying to discourage you on the plant and fish stuff, I'm just saying I'm no help 'cause my turtle is nuts. :p

Last edited:

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
:rofl: Val does sound a little crazy!

I have read so many places that recommend duckweed! I have used it in testing experiments and thought it was cute :D I will remember the horrible multiplying problem though. Now come to think about it, Gelly has a red light and I specifically remember red light increasing duckweed reproduction:lol:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
OMG...don't get duckweed! You will regret it. It sticks to everything and is a real pain to get rid of. Red root floaters are beautiful, water lettuce is illegal in some places{check your laws}, and there are others. The best place I know to buy floaters cheap is from the members on the Planted Tank Forum. Most people do their clipping and clean up on the weekends...

jacksmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Plants don't last too long around turtles, usually - whatever I throw in there is slowly chomped away. ;) Anacharis (spelling may be way off there, lol) is a great one - sold in almost any pet shop that does freshwater fish.

The guppies were not planned, per se, heh....one of my wholesale accounts asked as he was leaving one day "you want some guppies"? I figured the turtles would make short work of them - but the lil devils breed too fast! ;) They were just extra feeder guppies, no fancy varieties - but the males do have some pretty colors - not that you can see them against the basin, lol.

Be careful when you take your turtle outside this year - they can overheat and die a lot more easily than you would think. Just monitor the temp of the water, and be sure to provide a "shady spot" in the pool. :)

The yellow belly had a shell like you described when I got her, Paperdragon - took her only about eight months or so to shed it, though. She was pyramid-ing a bit, but not too bad, and over the past two years I have had her she has grown some. :D

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
The filters came in the mail this afternoon! It only took two days for them to get here :D I'll have to wait until Thursday to set them up, I have classes until 9pm tomorrow. They are much bigger than I expected! I think they will work very well. Also my friend just so happens to have some extra guppies in her tank so I'm going to see if Gelly wants some tank mates.

Thanks for all your help guys! I'll give some updates this weekend about how things are going

paperdragon

The filters came in the mail this afternoon! It only took two days for them to get here :D I'll have to wait until Thursday to set them up, I have classes until 9pm tomorrow. They are much bigger than I expected! I think they will work very well. Also my friend just so happens to have some extra guppies in her tank so I'm going to see if Gelly wants some tank mates.

Thanks for all your help guys! I'll give some updates this weekend about how things are going

That was fast! You'll want to wait until the filters are established before adding the guppies, otherwise if Gelly doesn't eat them right away the ammonia will likely kill them.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I really would not add fish. I don't think the turtle really cares about having fish as company, and you are just adding to the bioload. Which was your original problem, too much bioload, not enough biofiltration. Especially if you get male and female fish, guppies breed like crazy! Pretty soon you will have dozens of fish.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How is your little one today?

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I am setting up the filters very soon, and you were right, it was the ammonia! I tested the water and it came up as one step above normal. She has been eating now though, I'll be changing her water then adding the filters, and hopefully not have anymore issues! As for fish, in a couple days I'm going to put a minnow in there and see if she is interested in snacking

paperdragon

Good to hear she's eating regularly now! Make sure you keep up the water changes the way you have been until the filters have time to build up the beneficial bacteria. And I don't know about using a minnow, most feeder fish harbor diseases and parasites that can be passed on to the turtle.

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
She just looks at me like "well, what's new next?" So she is being a really adaptable girl lately. I am going to see how the weekend goes before I start.looking at my food possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.