• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Maddie Vommited Water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm not sure if this is an emergency or not. I'm going to work in an hour and am really worried.
Maddie has been acting fine all day and looks ok now. She was taking a bath in the sink and I think she may have aspirated water. She didn't seem like she was breathing weird or anything. I had her sitting on a towel rod after her bath while I was getting ready. She looked kind of out of it. She looked like she was staring off into space. I picked her up and she immediately vomited about a teaspoon of water. I'm hoping that she just inhaled it wrong and that it wasn't anything more serious. I use all natural cleaners, but I'm sure they could still make her sick if there was any resudue from them in the sink or there could have been toothpaste or something left. I'm really worried. She had never bathed in the sink before, she usually is not interested in water. Here is a vid taken just a few minutes before the vommiting. Does she seem like she's acting normal to you?
I put her in a little carrier with a heating pad underneath. She is not happy about it and is calling to me and pacing.

Attachments

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Truely has vomitted water twice since we've had her from drinking to much while shes in the shower. A teaspoon is a lot though for P'let. Can you put her up to your ear for a listen to see is she sounds weezy?

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I do not hear any wheezing. I held her up to my ear and all I could hear was her little heart beating like crazy. She is currently preening and seems to be acting normally.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Allison, by watching the video and having her mouth open with water running on her, could have gotten too much water in her crop and it came out....
Make sure she is dry but I think at this point she should be fine....
If you are going to let her bath in the sink, you can always clean it out with white vinegar or GSE before you let her in there...Yes, there are time they just jump right in and have a great time BEFORE you clean also! I haven't had a bird get sick from the sink baths....:hug8:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Allison, by watching the video and having her mouth open with water running on her, could have gotten too much water in her crop and it came out....
Make sure she is dry but I think at this point she should be fine....
If you are going to let her bath in the sink, you can always clean it out with white vinegar or GSE before you let her in there...Yes, there are time they just jump right in and have a great time BEFORE you clean also! I haven't had a bird get sick from the sink baths....:hug8:
Thank you BF. I wasn't expecting her to bathe in the sink. She has only ever actually wanted to take a bath once before. She is usually afraid of water. I guess I was too excited to think about it being clean. I will know for next time though. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mid-way through the video it looks like she is directly under the water and looks like she is breathing it in..

Poor Maddie, I hope she is alright. Respiratory problems can happen if a bird(or person) aspirated water. Keep her warm, keep the room warm, and allow now drafts or wind in the room.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think she got too much water in her mouth, Hope shes ok, keep us updated.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
My severe did this twice before. I am pretty sure both times were as a result of drinking too much apple juice and then playing hard.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Ok, thanks guys. She is looking fine now. I think she just doesn't know how to bathe because she has always been afraid of water. Also, I think she felt uncomfortable about Kei watching her and was doing a lot of threat posturing which includes an open beak.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How is she doing today Allison?

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award