• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mad at....

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Nothing?!? Occasionally Echo my U2 get will seem mad at nothing or at least nothing I can see. He'll just keep squawking angrily at nothing for no apparent reason. Sometimes he'll ever do the fear posture (wings out and down, tail fanned out) and even follow the nothingness around, like he's actually seeing something. Thankfully he never seems angry at me when this happens and I've never been bitten by him when he's mad. But I'm wondering does anyone else have a bird that does this? It so weird at times

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Ralph the QP will sometims do the Quaker alarm call for no reason that I can see-- but obviously, he thinks he has a reason. Sometimes he'll be upset by certain television commercials, or a person walking a dog that he can see from our window. That's what I usually suspect when Ralph does the alarm call, but often there's nothing apparent to have bothered him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Silly birds!:wacky: All of my birds do similar things too. One will alarm call for no reason that I can see, several will fly off of in a panic for who knows why, a couple will act all bitey and mad at the air around them, and they all often spread their wings and crouch. I figure they must have their reasons, but except for the alarm call and flying off, I often think it's just moodiness.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby went nuts last night for no apparent reason I could see. He started skwaking and thrashing around his cage late last night so I let him out and he rode into the computer room with me to calm down. Pionus are known to have night frights but I've seen it before with Nerd bird and it looked more like something frightened him as he was able to focus and didn't try to bite me like Nerd did during a spell.
I think maybe he saw a shadow out of the window and freaked out or heard a noise.
Sometimes they see, hear, or feel something that just sets them off. He was bit afraid when I finally put him back so I covered the cage like normal and that seemed to help.
With Nerd I could not touch him till he came out of it or he would lash out and bite anything that came near him and any noise would make him thrash about. I finally would just talk calmy to him so he knew he was safe and eventually he would focus and calm down and start chirping and preening again and I then knew he was back and knew who I was.
It is what it is sometimes and you figure out what it is or just talk to them calmly till they get over it and get back to their normal self.

Last edited:

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Spring is coming....all of my birds are letting me know the hormones are kicking in.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's just "singing" the song of his people. You're not hearing it correctly. :lol:

Tika and Amanda do this in stereo. They take turns so as they can keep it up continuously.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
It may be a feeling of excitment with a desire to play and fly and he's frustrated because he can't at the moment . Is he in his cage when he does this ? Cheeky , whose wings are clipped sometimes dives around , bobs , and flaps her wings in playful excitment. I once had a cat that would lay his ears back , look all around like he saw something, and then run all over chasing an imaginary prey. Could it be something like that ?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
It may be a feeling of excitment with a desire to play and fly and he's frustrated because he can't at the moment . Is he in his cage when he does this ? Cheeky , whose wings are clipped sometimes dives around , bobs , and flaps her wings in playful excitment. I once had a cat that would lay his ears back , look all around like he saw something, and then run all over chasing an imaginary prey. Could it be something like that ?
Echo's out when he does it. What gets me is when he seems to follow it while is the fear posture. And nothing I do can seem to calm him, I just have to let whatever happening go the motions. It's just so weird

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Echo's out when he does it. What gets me is when he seems to follow it while is the fear posture. And nothing I do can seem to calm him, I just have to let whatever happening go the motions. It's just so weird
I can't tell the difference between the fear posture and just very excited loud. They're basically the same. Sometimes they "freak out" on purpose just because it feels good. :lol:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I can't tell the difference between the fear posture and just very excited loud. They're basically the same. Sometimes they "freak out" on purpose just because it feels good. :lol:
OH!!! Well that's very strange behavior! But I guess that's birds for ya :laugh-bounce: Maybe it's like going on a rollercoaster for us. Thanks for the explanation :)