• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaws and Cockatoos

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
They're both big, loud, destructive, affectionate, playful. But really, what differentiates them? What sets them apart in your opinion? Besides then obvious color palettes..:rolleyes:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
They're both big, loud, destructive, affectionate, playful. But really, what differentiates them? What sets them apart in your opinion? Besides then obvious color palettes..:rolleyes:
This is strictly just my opinion - having lived with both parrot species. In fact, our first ever parrot some 32 years ago, was a Greater Sulpher Crested wild caught cockatoo.

I honestly believe, despite what others may or may not say - is that cockatoos require dedicated, very special people that understand their unique *issues*.

I served as VP for a local organization that assisted those needing to re-home parrots.
Vancouver Island is small, as you know.
We helped countless cockatoos go to new homes. Seriously, it was (and still is) never-ending.
These were primarily U2's, M2's and several of the smaller cockatoo species such as Goffins.

In the years I served with that organization, macaws were not being re-homed in any great numbers. Quite the opposite; we handled very few macaws.

I do realize that some people have great success in caring for & living with cockatoos.
However, based on what I've seen in person, time and time again - macaws seem to be an easier parrot species to have as a pet/companion.
When you see a room filled with many unwanted 'toos, and see that most of them have self-mutilation problems, severe plucking feather destruction, horrible behavior issues...well, it is way beyond sad.
I have never seen a room filled with any macaw species that looks like that.
(just my opinion and observations)

GlassOnion

This is strictly just my opinion - having lived with both parrot species. In fact, our first ever parrot some 32 years ago, was a Greater Sulpher Crested wild caught cockatoo.

I honestly believe, despite what others may or may not say - is that cockatoos require dedicated, very special people that understand their unique *issues*.

I served as VP for a local organization that assisted those needing to re-home parrots.
Vancouver Island is small, as you know.
We helped countless cockatoos go to new homes. Seriously, it was (and still is) never-ending.
These were primarily U2's, M2's and several of the smaller cockatoo species such as Goffins.

In the years I served with that organization, macaws were not being re-homed in any great numbers. Quite the opposite; we handled very few macaws.

I do realize that some people have great success in caring for & living with cockatoos.
However, based on what I've seen in person, time and time again - macaws seem to be an easier parrot species to have as a pet/companion.
When you see a room filled with many unwanted 'toos, and see that most of them have self-mutilation problems, severe plucking feather destruction, horrible behavior issues...well, it is way beyond sad.
I have never seen a room filled with any macaw species that looks like that.
(just my opinion and observations)
Reading such stories always makes me very sad. :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They are as different as you and I. We are both human and do all the basic human things like eat, poop, sleep and work but we are all very different. We/They are the result of our/their environment and past journey. Your "upbringing" is who you are.

They're both just as difficult to look after. It's just different. Macaws don't seem to be "basket cases" like some TOOs get. Having others of their own kind makes a huge difference for both IMO. Being alone for any length of time for a solitary bird is very stressful.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Cockatoos are very difficult species. Macaws are loud but do not vocalize as frequently. Cockatoos are either eating, sleeping, destroying things, or screaming. Macaws are not as naughty as cockatoos. 'Toos can't resist themselves, they know that they aren't supposed to destroy door frames, window frames, baseboards, walls, etc but they can't help themselves. Macaws on the other hand can be destructive, but don't go out of their way to do so. I know of several large macaws who live cage free and rarely destroy stuff other than toys. Cockatoos would chew anything they could.
They also bite just for fun. Macaws are pretty easy to read. You can tell when they are about to bite you. They give you plenty of warning.
Cockatoos give very subtle warnings because they really want to bite.
Male macaws can be hormonal but they are not even in the same ballpark as a male cockatoo. A hormonal male cockatoo does not just want to bite you, they will try to kill you. And you can be their favorite person, it doesn't mean they don't like you. They just snap and have an intense desire to attack something.
Male cockatoos will kill their mates in captivity but male macaws rarely do.
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of fun things about cockatoos but most people can't handle them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Cockatoos are very emphathetic, emotional and sensitive birds. Which makes them hard to understand, truly understand. Which is why they are rehomed and abused so much. Which is why they self mutilate, have behavioral problems to the extreme. That is the ONLY difference I can tell from being around, having and volunteering with these two species.

I love my cockatoos, but they certainly are not for everyone. More people make better macaw owners than cockatoo owners.

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
Macaws are much better at entertaining themselves too. My family had a Moluccan too many years ago, long story! Really a great bird, we all loved her and spent time with her and really made her part of the family. A friend of my sister's now has her along wiht other birds. That ONE cockatoo was sooooo much more work than my 3 macaws!

They are happy to eat whatever I have to give that daymost of the time. M2, no I would make her some food and she would just dump it and start screaming if not what she wanted. Macs, I can pet for a couple mins and put them down and leave. They will then find something to do. Not the M2! Lots of screaminf if you walk away pretty much all the time.

toos need soooooo much attention!!! They really want to be touching you about 90% of the day. Which typically leads to a mate-type bond, and then the aggressive horror stories youhear.

I have learned overe the years that most macaws with bad behavior issues have had owners that are not experienced enough, confident enough, or educated enough. Cockatoos, it is more unpredictable. The best owner with years of bird experience and the best of care can still be completely overwhelmed with the neediness and often aggressiveness. And all of the offshoots of those two main issues.

Macaws are certainly not easy birds, but I think most owners who do the homework and learn how to handle them correctly can do fine with them. They seem to adapt to being a pet more readily than most cockatoos. They don't need to be surgically attatched to you to be happy! Macaw body language is much much easier to read also.
Like Allison said they will wanrn you. The toos often will not beause they DO want to hurt you. The macaws usually just want you to give them more space.

Even when horomonal, my mature macaws will warn someone else in the room to stay back with lots of wings out eyepinning. But they will not go attack the person. Everyone is safe so long as the birds warning is accepted. Most mature toos will go after the person in full attack mode. Many will even seek out the "enemy" if they are in a different room.

Didn't someone here get cornored by their own U2 in their kitchen last week??

It really does take a special kind of person to successfully keep cockatoos long term!!

GlassOnion

Slowly my desire for a bare eyed too is starting to fade.....

Status
Not open for further replies.