• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw with purple O.o and giant!?

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
So a few days ago i was told there is a macaw that is the size of 14 lbs dog poodle. I'm wondering is this true plus i was told there are purple Macaws? :eek: I was told there is a GWM & a Ruby Macaw giants? :wideyed:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
The hyacinth is the largest macaw.
It's blue.

The greenwing is the second largest macaw species.
The ruby macaw is a greenwing/scarlet hybrid and tends to be large from hybrid vigor, I believe.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran

Size.
I suppose one could mistake it for purple.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have seen pics of purple macaws, but they are all photoshopped. There are no species of macaws that are purple. There also are no 14 lb parrots. The world's heaviest parrot is the kakapo. They are so heavy they're flightless, and they only weigh about 8lbs

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Well a hyacinth is probably bigger in body size than a chihuahua but probably not weight wise.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes, there are dog sized macaws but not of a 14#poodle. Just depends on the size of the dog and not the bird as much. When I brought my pup home he was 1.7 lbs. He is now 3# and a large macaw can get close to that size. :D I did encourage the vet to use a gram scale as the other scale was not as accurate. I had no idea he would be this small! :huh: Have to use kitten meds as regular dog meds are too strong and cannot be used on dogs under 5#. I also have to give Benedryl so he does not have a reaction. He is a rough and tumble all boy though. Cats are even bigger than him. Can you see him with T's dogs!

Last edited: