• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw with Balance Issues

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
I am happy to anounce that I am adopting a female blue and gold macaw. She is 7 years old and she came from a drug house; stuck inside of a tiny cage with another macaw. A lady went to take them and was basically fostering them until she could find a good home for them. They aren't bonding and are extremely jealous of each other. She was adopting the female out, but she wasn't comfortable doing it with the male because he was very emotionaly and phsically scarred. Anyway, the female (who I have decided to name Aria) has some missing toenails and when she was rescued she could barely walk. She has gotten better but she still has a hard time stepping up because she doesn't want to fall. I was wondering if anyone had any tips and excersises to get her more comfortable stepping up and balancing without falling. Also, I'm picking her up this weekend so I still have time to prepare. Thank you in advance.

- AJ

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She may not be able to step up. I have a one-legged bird who cannot step up but he will let me scoop him up when he feels like it. Is she missing any toes or just toenails?

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
It’s just the tip of one or two of her toes and the nail.

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
Also, the foster said that the only way that she would step up is if she does it backwards which I honestly have never heard of. She will step down onto the floor. I think she is just uncomfortable stepping into an unstable perch.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww, time and trust will heal her instability. :) Just give her lots of opportunities to be out and climbing/flapping.

Back stepping. Used quite often with macaws that bite and many of them become more comfortable stepping backward than forward. Not a big deal and she will do either once she trusts you. :)

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I would make sure to have platform perches in her cage. That way she won’t feel compelled to try and sit on a perch bar and that will probably help a lot with her confidence. Foot toys will also increase her balance, dexterity and confidence. Also, I know it’s sounds weird but might trying using a basket with low sides to have her step in. Once she I stronger I’m sure she will be fine. It’s just the initial go of it. Please be sure to line the bottom of her cage with towels or other soft materials then put newspaper or puppy pads on top of that. That way if she falls she will still have a soft landing. Good luck :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Also, the foster said that the only way that she would step up is if she does it backwards
Back stepping. Used quite often with macaws that bite and many of them become more comfortable stepping backward than forward.
I'd heard stepping up backwards is sometimes easier for some birds, but I didn't know it was for bitey birds. Buzz is reluctant to step up unless it's his decision, so I've tried it a couple of times thinking it might be easier, but he just looks at me like I'm crazy. :shrug2:

@AbbeyShub123 Who knows what happened to those poor birds in a drug house. :( Thank you and the other woman for helping them! :hug8:I know she will continue to get stronger and more confident in your care.

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
She’s actually a very sweet bird. She doesn’t like if you touch her feet (if you pet them or what not) and you have to pet her from up above or else she will get spooked. But, she doesn’t bite when she gets scared. She actually uses her beak to push your hand away. And honestly the foster mom was trying but it wasn’t the best environment for her. They feed her peanuts and let them outside on a very windy day without harnesses. Also, the cages were downstairs and she had us wait in the living room while she got them. I am eternally grateful for what she did but I believe once she gets a new home where she can work one in one with me she will do a lot better.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'd heard stepping up backwards is sometimes easier for some birds, but I didn't know it was for bitey birds. Buzz is reluctant to step up unless it's his decision, so I've tried it a couple of times thinking it might be easier, but he just looks at me like I'm crazy. :shrug2:

We back step Korbel at bedtime..... or anytime we are taking him off something that he shouldn't be on. :laugh: He let's you feel his displeasure. :p

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your macaw. Use platforms and flattish perches. You can wrap perches with vet wrap. Use layers of non-stringy towels or non pilling fleece on the bottom of the cage. Monitor the towels and fleece because even if they are non stringy or pilling some birds like to chew and rip them. When Scully was having issues he made holes in every towel I put on the bottom of the cage. With stepping up you can use a t-stick with a flat perch attached. Wrap that perch with vet wrap. You can also have her step up on your arm but keep your arm low to begin with/on top or slightly over something that is padded in case she loses her balance. Practice this several times and as her balance improves you can slowly raise your arm up to a greater height.
@Brittany0208 may have additional ideas and suggestions.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Quoting my avian vet "lots of different sizes for perches and things to stand and walk on". Simon's feet had clubbed during his illness so I needed to talk him into opening up his feet and standing on different things to exercise the foot muscles.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Also, the foster said that the only way that she would step up is if she does it backwards which I honestly have never heard of. She will step down onto the floor. I think she is just uncomfortable stepping into an unstable perch.
They actually can step downward going backwards. Or even side step down. My macaw did. He was an old fart and last 20 yrs of his life he developed arthritis somewhat, so he preferred going down backwards or to side, never forward.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Anything unstable should be stabilized. Things that move under her feet will freak her out, at the moment at least. When she is more comfortable about her balance moving things won't be so much of a problem.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I am happy to anounce that I am adopting a female blue and gold macaw. She is 7 years old and she came from a drug house; stuck inside of a tiny cage with another macaw. A lady went to take them and was basically fostering them until she could find a good home for them. They aren't bonding and are extremely jealous of each other. She was adopting the female out, but she wasn't comfortable doing it with the male because he was very emotionaly and phsically scarred. Anyway, the female (who I have decided to name Aria) has some missing toenails and when she was rescued she could barely walk. She has gotten better but she still has a hard time stepping up because she doesn't want to fall. I was wondering if anyone had any tips and excersises to get her more comfortable stepping up and balancing without falling. Also, I'm picking her up this weekend so I still have time to prepare. Thank you in advance.

- AJ
How far back are her foot nails missing? If they are up to skin,or where it meets flesh I'd be concerned of internal infection going on. Or perhaps past infection. That can cause pain when walking.
Has it been checked yet by vet?

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
We made an appointment with the vet a little while ago, I didn't want her to be placed into a brand new home (which is obviously stressful enough) and then bring her to another new place with other animals as well. Her previous owner said she brought her to multiple appointments but I'm not sure if it is true. I will let you know what the vet says when we go. Thank you.

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
She actually steps up normally. Her previous owner said she had to take her out of her cage with a perch, but she steps onto my hand without a problem. I think she just didn't know/just didn't train her. By that, I mean target training and positive reinforcement. She absolutely loves when I get excited when she does something I like.

I am reading this post and I realized that it sounded like I make her train. I'm not good at explaining my thoughts into words so I apologize. I always make training fun and it helps with communication and bonding
They actually can step downward going backwards. Or even side step down. My macaw did. He was an old fart and last 20 yrs of his life he developed arthritis somewhat, so he preferred going down backwards or to side, never forward.

AbbeyShub123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abbey Shubert
I don’t know if it would be a good or bad thing due to the hormone issue but Sif sleeps in a tent on my nightstand. While obviously you wouldn’t have her on a nigtstand but maybe in the on the floor of the cage just during the night.

View attachment 299011
I actually tried something like this but with a box and toys inside. She's terrified of it. I think that it will just take time for her to get used to everything.