• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

macaw urban legends

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i agree with mercedez. i have seen skittles use his top mandible to impale. or the bottom mandible to scoop a bit of flesh. i've seen him use his whole beak to crush. but to sever an appendage? nope their beaks just arent designed right. i think the myth came about because their beaks are big enough and they have the power to break the bones. they just dont have that cutting power that would be necessary in most cases.

i would imagine a cockatoo or zon having a better shot at it than a mac. they have the razor sharp beaks. but i dont think they have the power to cut thru the bone.

doodadz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leilani
had a close call with one of my HY's......was at the vet trying to transfer bird from my hand to theirs and my stupid little finger got in the way.....glad I was wearing a heavy silver ring. Christal recognized the taste of something other than flesh and pulled her bite.....grateful....Giz and I are in the learning to get along stage right now and that ring is flat on oneside ....again that particular finger must have a larger concentration of stupid in it than the others.....or it is just slow!:)