• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw proof bowls??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I need to find some bowls that are safe to give to a macaw that he hopefully can not tip or break. He has started trying to work out how to break the sides of the SS bowls and also the ceramic (I think?) bird bowls that I got him to replace the SS with. I got some of the heavy ones from the parrot supply shop but he tips those also as he is interested in the bottom texture of the porcelain ceramic sort (I am not sure what they are made of but could find out), I stopped using them because he is trying to find a way to crack the sides of them and I do not know if he actually could break them, I do not want to find out by letting him get some broken crockery in his mouth.

Now just recently Burt has again decided it is great fun to pull the bowls out of their holders and ever so slowly tip all the pellets onto the floor (which I can deal with).......the water bowl is a whole different issue though!

For the first time today he thought he would entertain himself by ever so slowly tipping the water bowl up until it was empty then he tried to put the bowl back in the holder which is what he usually does once he has managed to empty the bowls. It is never the water bowl he wants to tip... until today, this seemed to make him much happier than when he tips the pellets. He was sloshing the water back and forth in the bowl to make it swill up and tip over the far side of it, it took him about four minutes to finally be satisfied the bowl was totally empty of all liquids. This made a much bigger mess than I was expecting and took me a fair bit of effort to move the cage so I could make sure the floor boards were not still wet underneath. I really do not wish for this to become a regular thing I need to clean up for a few reasons the most important being he will have no water in his cage if he tips it all out frequently. I am not really wanting to use a bird butler (even though they look great) but I guess we are now over using the SS bowls for water (at least!).

I have seen some twist and lock type thick plastic bowls but I am not sure how they would cope with a bird who shows interest in killing the sides of his bowls.

Can anyone recommend some bowls that he would not be able to tip or break?

Thanks for reading and helping :)

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
:laughing6: :oops: :sorry: Shezbug. Birds, ya just gotta love 'em. :D
You might find a crafts workshop in your area and make your own bowls. Remember how to do that from school? Fire up the kiln.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:laughing6: :oops: :sorry: Shezbug. Birds, ya just gotta love 'em. :D
You might find a crafts workshop in your area and make your own bowls. Remember how to do that from school? Fire up the kiln.

:rofl: Thanks for your help! He just threw the full water bowl this time!! Funny bit is as soon as he let it go he got himself in the I am just doing nothing but daydreaming pose, he looked so innocent and sweet :heart: I do not even know how he was able to hold that much weight and toss it away from himself without getting a drop on himself. Oh dear, once he has taken a liking to doing something we get flooded with the behavior......this time I guess we will be literally flooded:lol:

Just switched his bowl for a ceramic one that is much heavier and has very very thick sides (for a large dog) and he is not impressed with me hehehe. Lucky for him it is not really suitable to have in the cage for long term as it is too big and heavy for me to change numerous times a day which I will need to do more often now it is on the floor. I will need to sort something out very very soon. Maybe a two liter SS bucket will do the trick? lol.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I had the best luck with these bowls when Hank was still alive. The screw on bottom was welded well enough that he couldn't break the weld - like he had done on numerous bowls. Those plastic screw on's he just pulled on them hard enough to break the frame of the screw on part. I just could never find a ceramic bowl that was heavy enough that he couldn't lift it and throw it.

Amazon.com : Living World Stainless Steel Parrot Cup, 32-Ounce : Pet Supplies

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the replies @msplantladi and @Hankmacaw, I am sorry I took so long to reply but somehow I missed the notification for this- oops.
I will check the links for the bowls you both suggested when I am back on the laptop....bigger pictures on there than my phone. I really appreciate the help with this new problem I have as it has become a little more of an obsession for him than tipping the food bowl has ever been. I can deal with the pellets and other dry food being spread everywhere in the house but not the water. It is rather cute how proud of himself he seems to be once he has thrown the water bowl :)