• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw noise vs lorikeet

hibernater

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
George
Anyone know how much louder a hahns macaw is generally speaking compared to a lorikeet?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If you don't get an answer you can try searching some videos of both species on YouTube. At least you'll get an idea of loudness and the pitch.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've heard a lorikeet and I've heard macaws but not a Hahns - with any bird I'd say it depends on your personal tolerance for continuous (or not) contact calls and the big killer is usually the decibel level and pitch. I fostered 2 lovebirds (havig a flock with a sun, 4 Quakers and the balance being a 50/50 tiels and gccs). A sun has a certain pitch that will deafen you (specially if he's on your shoulder) and the alert/warning call of all of them are deafening, however, when the lovies Marco & Polo went to their forever home it was my hubby who commented on how much quieter the bird room was.

The lovies had a high pitch fairly continuous peep-peep-peep call which really grated on our nerves. I'd definitely recommend trying YouTube to get a good idea of how any one parrot sounds. Make sure that you have the volume on your speakers on high as that is what it will sound like to you if you get one.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Hahn's have higher pitched voices than the larger macaws but I haven't heard either really scream. Large ones call and it's loud but a lower tone. Not sure what lorikeets sound like.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Hahn's have higher pitched voices than the larger macaws but I haven't heard either really scream. Large ones call and it's loud but a lower tone. Not sure what lorikeets sound like.
It reminded me of an IRN or moustached parakeet - it has a squeaky high voice which once or twice didn't sound bad. I know we have a couple of Australian members who have lorikeets and I remember one saying that they had the ability to aim their poop at you if you ticked them off. Beautiful birds with a really really interesting tongue but having poop aimed at me was a thought.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It reminded me of an IRN or moustached parakeet - it has a squeaky high voice which once or twice didn't sound bad. I know we have a couple of Australian members who have lorikeets and I remember one saying that they had the ability to aim their poop at you if you ticked them off. Beautiful birds with a really really interesting tongue but having poop aimed at me was a thought.

Well, their poop is more liquidy too since their diet is mainly nectar. Poop squirting all over walls was what made me take them off the "possibles" list! ;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well, their poop is more liquidy too since their diet is mainly nectar. Poop squirting all over walls was what made me take them off the "possibles" list! ;)
Ditto! Cleaning up poop is :eek: one thing but dodging liquid darts would be quite another! :wtf: :backout:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have a friend with both. The lories are a shrill loud and the hahns are a high pitch loud just not quite as bad. Both are still loud birds but I found the lories to be much more vocal. Again looking up videos help determine if you can handle a noise. You will see that loudness may be factor but there are also certain tones and pitch that some birds can make that will drive you up the walls. I would rather walk by screaming macaws than screaming suns. The macaws are louder but the pitch on a sun is like nails on chalkboard for me.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Definitely a different pitch, but in this home it is also definitely the Hahns who's call is louder and more frequent. I'm ok with both bird's vocalisation, even fine with the call of my Sun and Jenday - but volume and pitch toleration is such an individual thing

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have a friend with both. The lories are a shrill loud and the hahns are a high pitch loud just not quite as bad. Both are still loud birds but I found the lories to be much more vocal. Again looking up videos help determine if you can handle a noise. You will see that loudness may be factor but there are also certain tones and pitch that some birds can make that will drive you up the walls. I would rather walk by screaming macaws than screaming suns. The macaws are louder but the pitch on a sun is like nails on chalkboard for me.
I have jokingly told people that if a sun is sitting anywhere near you and lets loose with a good scream you might have a nosebleed.due to the pitch.

hibernater

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
George
Thank you everyone. Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about getting a hahns and I currently got a rainbow lorikeet. Just thinking about neighbours since I live in an urban area they're only about 50 feet away. Not sure if that's too close.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I do like the little goldies lorikeet. Dont really see them anymore but they were not as shrill. If it were me, I would go for the hahns. But that is just my preference, like their personalilty and less watery poo. Plus I worry about how to handle ants attracted to the lory nectar.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I live in a free standing house, in an urban area, with a Sun, Jenday, Hahns, 2 Lorikeets & a flock of aviary budgies. No one has ever complained.

Then again, I live in Sydney Australia & in my suburb there are plenty of native Cockatoos and Lorikeets flying around making their own calls. Those Coxkatoos make far more noise than mine do, so maybe I'm not a good example to base it on.