Macaw eating a white button mushroom

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by Cheekie, 11/16/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheekie

Cheekie Meeting neighbors

Cale
    I called the Doc and he wasn't quite sure if it would be hazardous to my macaw. She ate a piece of partially cooked white button top cooking mushroom. The web is pretty vague on whether or not or how toxic this type is. He informed me to keep a close eye on her and to feed her some mash to help dillute. Does anyone have any experience on this? :eek:
  2. macawpower58

macawpower58 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

I've actually fed mine mushrooms that I've bought for dinner. I've since stopped, but never had any problems after feeding them. I'm not sure what type they were, except they came from the grocery store.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cheekie

Cale
    Thanks for the input. It was a white mushroom that I picked up in the fresh veggie aisle. It looks like a "white" portabella
  4. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Sarah
    Hey Cale, I think she will be fine. Mushrooms although not the greatest should not harm her. Especially if cooked. Doc is right to get plenty of food and water in her that will help to dilute anything toxic. How has she been doing otherwise? Have not seen you on the site lately. Keep us updated huh?
    1 person likes this.
  5. Yoshi

Yoshi Rollerblading along the road

Jessie
    Wait - birds aren't supposed to have button mushrooms? I cook with them a lot so if they get some of our cooked food that night they might get a small piece or two. Never been a problem.
  6. Cheekie

Cale
    From what I have found out, white button tops are not toxic "per say." Won't necessarily harm, but may not be a good idea cause there could be a problem depending on the age of the 'shroom and a few other variables. I am choosing to stay away from feeding her any.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Macawnutz

Sarah
    Wow Cale, she is looking great. Put on some good weight too it looks like.
    Last edited: 11/17/12
    2 people like this.
  8. Welshanne

Welshanne Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Ann Burdett
    Best to leave alone and not feed on a regular basis but our birds are not daft and will only eat what they know is good for them.A one off experience will not have done too much harm I am thinking.:D
    Good luck in the future and keep the mushrooms just for you!
    1 person likes this.
  9. Cheekie

Cale
    She is still light for a B&G, but I am tickled she is maintaining 865-885g! And she loves mash (mix harrisons HP, oatmeal, & Zupreem natural together and sometimes add either sunshine factor or applesauce . She is still not eating enough by herself to maintain, but I have read where macaw owners feed their fid's mash as meals, so I'll give her time.
    :bounce7:
    Last edited: 11/23/12
  10. Macawnutz

Sarah
    Give her all the time and food she wants Cale! She is doing great! All my guys eat a mash/chop mix and sometimes I give them warm wet pellets, they love that!
    1 person likes this.
  11. Bokkapooh

Bokkapooh Joyriding the Neighborhood

Mercedez
    Is she a young macaw?
    2 people like this.
  12. Macawnutz

Sarah
  13. Bokkapooh

Bokkapooh Joyriding the Neighborhood

Mercedez
    Mera was around 950 by the end of her first year and by a year and a half she was 1050. I think macaw just gain weight slowly after weaning. They aren't adult size until after a year old. Mera is now 2 and is 1100.

I remember for the longer time Mera was 850. She ate like a champion but she was nowhere near online body size/weights. But then I realized she was a flighted baby and most online weights are geared at adult clipped birds.

Just an idea.:)
    2 people like this.
  14. Cheekie

Cale
    Rio loves warm wet pellets, we do this with the Zupreem natural ones, the harrisons turn to mush when we tried wetting them. But she loves crunching on the slightly wet harrisons!
    1 person likes this.
  15. Cheekie

Cale

Yep, she's a baby, 6 months at the end of November.....
    1 person likes this.
  16. Cheekie

Cale
    Thanks for the info, that is great to hear! :yahoo:
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)