• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Macaw constantly squawking

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great to see you and Nova back @htee.

I’m sorry to hear your having some worries with Nova.

He is as beautiful as ever!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it helps you at all, Burt still has comfort feeds almost every day since we moved. He would still ask for them from time to time at the old house but stopped wanting them daily two weeks before he turned 1. He would still ask from time to time with either the head bob and wing flip or with baby sounds like Nova is doing.
Burts hatchday is 22 November 2017.

The lowest weight I’ve got on him is 1120g and that has been when he’s not eating well due to our move or something that has changed that he’s not yet comfortable with. He seems to go off big/full feedings if he’s not happy about something....when this happens I try to spend the extra time either eating with him or spoon feeding him.

I’ve been told by a few B&G owners that he is a big bird but I personally feel like he could put a little extra weight on even though the vet is happy with his weight and condition.

Burt makes lots of loud noise especially when he’s happy or excited. I just got home after being out for a few hours....he heard my car pull up in the drive and I could hear him from the driveway in my car calling to me.

The noise Nova is making is so sweet....sounds like he’s being a cute baby looking for loving.

Burt has been so rough on all his new beautiful feathers that he again looks like he’s been through the dishwasher. Lol I get to wait for the next feather explosion till I can see him looking smooth and tidy again.

He is not keen on the actual shower here so I’ve taken to just using the misting bottle when he wants it. He refused for a few weeks so I used it on myself and played under the spray making lots of fun noises till he thought he was missing out on something so he joined in....I kept his misting short and rewarded with fav treat, repeated this daily for about two weeks and now I can get the bottle out and ask if he wants a spray or shower and he will respond with a squeal, scream, wings out and massive yes motions with his head then he goes to his perch so we can make noise getting wet. Lol.

Hope things get better for you soon, give Nova a kiss on his gorgeous cheeks from me :)

MILITARYMACAW

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BRIAN
Hey @htee and everyone else. Unfortunately I’ve developed some experience with feeding from crop needles to using a syringe. I adopted a little guy that was malnourished when I got her that didn’t survive and recently got a b and g from a breeder and I’m still feeding her with a syringe Each day. I’d be happy to let you watch me on face time or send the information from the aviary that was given to me. I even have videos they gave me showing the proper consistency of the formula I’d be happy to send via text or email if you want. I know I’m coming in a little late but I thought I’d offer anyways.
I heard you ask about quantity. I was told to give my new bird 60ml at each feeding and to never serve below 98 or above 101 degrees. I use a meat thermometer.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hey @htee and everyone else. Unfortunately I’ve developed some experience with feeding from crop needles to using a syringe. I adopted a little guy that was malnourished when I got her that didn’t survive and recently got a b and g from a breeder and I’m still feeding her with a syringe Each day. I’d be happy to let you watch me on face time or send the information from the aviary that was given to me. I even have videos they gave me showing the proper consistency of the formula I’d be happy to send via text or email if you want. I know I’m coming in a little late but I thought I’d offer anyways.
I heard you ask about quantity. I was told to give my new bird 60ml at each feeding and to never serve below 98 or above 101 degrees. I use a meat thermometer.

Hi Brian,

I would not suggest ever teaching someone or explaining how to feed by use of a crop needle. It is extremely dangerous and so many things can go wrong. It is also a method that even if done properly I don't recommend for many reasons. Not only are they dangerous and uncomfortable for the bird but they also do not teach them how to eat. They do not learn to taste food, they do not learn to swallow. They just do not enjoy feedings at all.

Amounts per feeding also depend on your birds age, weight and what they are willing to eat. Rules of thumb are 10% of your birds body weight per feeding. Depending on age that can be anywhere from 1-6 times per day and it could be as little or much as 5-120ml plus per feedings.

Without more information about your bird I can't be more specific but I am now concerned for your BG. I encourage you to start a thread about this new sweetie so we can help you make some changes.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The only thing I need to add to your good advice is to not give much corn, it is high in carbs, and can cause yeast issues..

Thanks @Birdbabe I wish everyone thinks this way. Some of the companies that make bird food need to realize this too. When I buy a birdie bread mix I have to pick out all the corn kernels.

MILITARYMACAW

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BRIAN
I wasn’t suggesting she use a crop needle. I was merely trying to paint a picture that I feel very comfortable hand feeding a bird. Nor was I suggesting a feeding plan. One thing I like about forums is sharing because it demonstrates how different everyones situation should be handled. My new bird eats fruits vegetables pellets and is weighed daily on an avian scale and and has been seen several times by our avian vet. I’m slightly paranoid after the passing of the military. All that stuff you have been shipping to Alabama is for me @Macawnutz !! Im sorry if I came across as trying to give medical advice. The post hit home for me because I am very familiar with being upset about your birds health, knowing they need to eat, being anxious, hands shaking, etc. I would never teach anyone how to feed with a crop needle in person let alone over the phone. I promise!!! My bad I’ll keep quiet!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I wasn’t suggesting she use a crop needle. I was merely trying to paint a picture that I feel very comfortable hand feeding a bird. Nor was I suggesting a feeding plan. One thing I like about forums is sharing because it demonstrates how different everyones situation should be handled. My new bird eats fruits vegetables pellets and is weighed daily on an avian scale and and has been seen several times by our avian vet. I’m slightly paranoid after the passing of the military. All that stuff you have been shipping to Alabama is for me @Macawnutz !! Im sorry if I came across as trying to give medical advice. The post hit home for me because I am very familiar with being upset about your birds health, knowing they need to eat, being anxious, hands shaking, etc. I would never teach anyone how to feed with a crop needle in person let alone over the phone. I promise!!! My bad I’ll keep quiet!

Never keep quiet, but if you read your post that is how it comes across. Many people do feel comfortable at it and it is useful if your baby becomes ill and needs the extra intake. As a sole method of feeding I don't agree to it... but you are right. We are allowed to share experiences and anyone with experience will say there are 100 ways to do the same thing. Each bird is unique. Each home is different. There are a million combinations to every situation and you should always share your experience. :)

Crop feedings hit home for me, Brian. I hospitalized Korbel for almost a month because I didn't feel comfortable doing them. He couldn't eat and needed to be fed around the clock. We have the same feelings in this situation, just different views of it. :)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
@MILITARYMACAW - I'm happy to hear you found another macaw and are having a positive experience this time!! Can you post some pictures of her? I LOVE baby blue and golds!!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
@htee - I'm wondering how your and your baby are doing - hopefully things are going better!? I'd love to hear...

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
im new here but I have found whenever ive had constant squawking i did the following and usually works. i found he squawks when bored, needs to be sprayed down( feeling dry) , or simply wants your time and attention. sometimes just giving like a good 15 min rub down little scratch and personal time quiets them all day long. the other thing that makes him crazy is too much sun light. for boredem every week i re arrange all toys and sometimes perches too. keeps things fresh and exciting. also forgot to mention.. if you are a very high pitched fast moving anxious person that will also do it. my wife makes my babies scream every day just walking by. the aura is sensed by them

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@htee, how are you and Nova doing now? I am hoping things are well :)