• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Cages

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I am totally for building something - We built a very nice outdoor aviary for my conures to enjoy when the weather is nice, but I had concerns about building something strong enough to withstand a macaw.....
The difference between building something for the conures vs Macaws would be night and day and you would be better off just doing it right from the start (buying a well made one) which would not cause you to kick yourself for wasting $$$ when you find out the one you built is destroyed within days.

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
that's what I was afraid of macaw lover!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I recommend the biggest cage possible or if you are able to go cage free, please consider that.

I had Mera in a 40x30 Victorian top cage for a couple years. It was too small for my scarlet macaw.

When she turned 2, I put her in a 80"long x 40" wide giant double macaw cages. Also called flat topped double macaw cage to some companies. And it was great. But it was a pain to clean. She kept pooping where the divider would go and I'd have to lean into the cage to scrub poop....

She is now cage free. For now anyway. Its been several weeks and she has a 10x10 bedroom to fly in. Three playstands to land on. However if I had to put her back in a cage I'd go with a Centurion Walk-in Aviary.

Cages with grates and trays are hard to clean! I assume a walk in aviary would be sooo easy to clean! Because Mera being cage free is super dooper easy to clean. No trays. No grates. Nothing blocking me or making me bend over awkwardly to clean.

Three of my 5 large parrots are cage free and cleaning is a breeze. I still want to have Pinky and Moby caged free. Its a thought for the future. :)[/QUOT

If I didn't have cats...

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Cages with grates and trays are hard to clean! I assume a walk in aviary would be sooo easy to clean! Because Mera being cage free is super dooper easy to clean. No trays. No grates. Nothing blocking me or making me bend over awkwardly to clean.

:D SO EASY TO CLEAN! There is never any poop on the bars because they have so much room they don't need to climb the bars. The only thing I clean is the wall behind Korbel's cage. The morning poop comes slamming down from 7' high... it tends to splatter. :laugh:

Centurion just got two more walkins in.... A 38x62 and they NOW DO STAINLESS. :dead: I need three full time jobs now, I want the SS ones. :lol:Sometime in my lifetime anyway.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick

:D SO EASY TO CLEAN! There is never any poop on the bars because they have so much room they don't need to climb the bars. The only thing I clean is the wall behind Korbel's cage. The morning poop comes slamming down from 7' high... it tends to splatter. :laugh:

Centurion just got two more walkins in.... A 38x62 and they NOW DO STAINLESS. :dead: I need three full time jobs now, I want the SS ones. :lol:Sometime in my lifetime anyway.

Where did you see the 38 x 62 aviary Sarah? I did not find it on their sight and that might work for us

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
We have the Kings Double Macaw Cage and love it! When ours arrived it was slightly different then shown on the page as it has the "patio" fold down doors at the top like the A&E does but that was a welcome surprise for me.

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
yes please share a link of the 38 X62 centurion that might fit into my living arrangements perfectly!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Where did you see the 38 x 62 aviary Sarah? I did not find it on their sight and that might work for us

When I get home I will recheck the email he sent me. I'm pretty sure those were the dimensions he sent.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Okay he said they are 38x110 or they can be used as 38x62.

The thing about these cages are they ALL can be put together in any configuration you want. You can put two 62's together or two 110's. You can put a 86x62 connected to a 62x62. It's one of the things I love about these cages. ANY size you can imagine. Call Ron at centurion, he may sell just the 38x62 and not the 38x110. He can mismatch pieces and reorder what he needs I would think. These are not listed on his site as he always contacts me when the shipments arrive, I just got this email but honestly.... I have not unpacked the last two walk ins I ordered. :rolleyes:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I second what Bokkapooh says about the double wide macaw cage and the fact that my macaw also seems to poop into the divider area. However, I put up with the hassle of cleaning it because it's a huge cage and the size that I believe he needs.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Okay he said they are 38x110 or they can be used as 38x62.

The thing about these cages are they ALL can be put together in any configuration you want. You can put two 62's together or two 110's. You can put a 86x62 connected to a 62x62. It's one of the things I love about these cages. ANY size you can imagine. Call Ron at centurion, he may sell just the 38x62 and not the 38x110. He can mismatch pieces and reorder what he needs I would think. These are not listed on his site as he always contacts me when the shipments arrive, I just got this email but honestly.... I have not unpacked the last two walk ins I ordered. :rolleyes:

Sarah gets the insiders scoops because of all the business she does with him. :dance5:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sarah gets the insiders scoops because of all the business she does with him. :dance5:

Did you see the ss ones? Could you imagine my huge cages in ss? I'm drooling!!!!

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'

Did you see the ss ones? Could you imagine my huge cages in ss? I'm drooling!!!!

I had thought of the SS before when you mentioned them but really wonder how it would hold up to Kalea or Donovan's beak plus with the cost for that size ....... heck, I need to just rob a bank and be done with it.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah and the deals she gets maybe we need to have her order ours.

Laugh it up there Rick. ;)

Pick it up from my house and DONE. :D order it with my next order and I will even split the shipping with you. my guess is I will be making another order this year. :roflmao:

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Well Sarah will have to contact them and see about sizes and I can be at your house in 4 hours lol and I seen what you said you paid for the 1st 2 with shipping included and wow that was ways cheaper than on the sight. But I am not all that far from KY either is that not where they are located?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think Kansas. Shipping is costly, I want to say $300 to me. 375 pounds per cage and I order two at a time.

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
where did you order it from?