• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw behavior, aggression, love , failed trust ? Ideas?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No aggression. I see love, she want to feed your hand, Pionus is doing this when they want to create a strong bond.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My guy Bowser does this right before he regurgitates for me. I try not to encourage the regurgitation but he does it randomly.
I see just love and a sweet macaw. ☺

Pica

Moving in
But she is scared and run a way and she doesn’t let me touch her out side of the cage. In her cage she is more friendly

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I see that she really, really likes you. She's trying to feed your hand because that is a sign of affection in macaws.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But she is scared and run a way and she doesn’t let me touch her out side of the cage. In her cage she is more friendly
I think she is more insecure then afraid. I see a very friendly macaw, that really likes you, and I think that if you not try to touch her and not raise your hand above her (she doesn't like that)
in a short time she will tell you when she is ready for more interactions.
I never touch or handle my birds inside the cage so I suggest that you stop doing that. The cage is their own and they need a safety place where they can be left alone.
So that she is allowing you to touch her their is because she has no other choice.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If she is scared then just keep doing what you are doing. You are making head way. :)

She will come around when she learns to trust you. Don't push just keep allowing her to touch you and sneak those little pets in. ;)

Pica

Moving in
I think she is more insecure then afraid. I see a very friendly macaw, that really likes you, and I think that if you not try to touch her and not raise your hand above her (she doesn't like that)
in a short time she will tell you when she is ready for more interactions.
I never touch or handle my birds inside the cage so I suggest that you stop doing that. The cage is their own and they need a safety place where they can be left alone.
So that she is allowing you to touch her their is because she has no other choice.

Actually she comes to my hand and let me pet her and scratch her head only in side the cage

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I think she was more startled when you moved your hand after she stepped up on your arm. If there is any fear, it is more startle response than actual fear. She definitely is trying to regurge and feed your hand, which you want to redirect her from doing. She is just a baby, you need to reinforce at this young to prevent future problems when she reaches the nightmare hormonal stage.

Can you sit with her on your leg instead of her the sofa with your arm outstretched? Does she step up on your arm or hand and allow you to move her to and from the cage? I would play with her, get her a bucket of foot toys or anything she can play, toss or even just shred / destroy. She definitely has no aggression, if she had any aggression you would have been a bloody mess :)

Keep posting and sharing!!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Bribery works wonders at times. Get a yummy treat. Share a banana or something else healthy.

I also see a macaw that wants to be near you, but is uncertain and a little afraid.

Time and patience is what you need. Go slowly.

Pica

Moving in
I think she was more startled when you moved your hand after she stepped up on your arm. If there is any fear, it is more startle response than actual fear. She definitely is trying to regurge and feed your hand, which you want to redirect her from doing. She is just a baby, you need to reinforce at this young to prevent future problems when she reaches the nightmare hormonal stage.

Can you sit with her on your leg instead of her the sofa with your arm outstretched? Does she step up on your arm or hand and allow you to move her to and from the cage? I would play with her, get her a bucket of foot toys or anything she can play, toss or even just shred / destroy. She definitely has no aggression, if she had any aggression you would have been a bloody mess :)

Keep posting and sharing!!

No she didn’t step on my arm or very rarly , and when she fly’s she fly on my Schulter and the back of my shoulder so I can’t reach her, she wouldn’t stay on my leg if I’m sitting. She always try to be watching me. So I don’t touch her back.
I have no idea how to solve this

Pica

Moving in
Bribery works wonders at times. Get a yummy treat. Share a banana or something else healthy.

I also see a macaw that wants to be near you, but is uncertain and a little afraid.

Time and patience is what you need. Go slowly.

I do that too but as i said she would be very unsure on my arm and fly away and fly as soon as she gets what she wants or would stand on my shoulder where she observe me and my hands.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's okay if she wants to observe you. Some parrots just like to watch without being touched, and that's fine. I would build up her confidence by letting her tell you how she wants to interact, and as long as it doesn't set up bad habits (such as regurgitating or being aggressive) I would support her in however she wants to be around you. The important thing is that she does want to be around you and is seeking out contact - she's curious about you, and that's something you want to encourage.

You may want to think about ways to interact that involve less contact. Offering her special foods is a good approach, as is having a collection of foot toys and offering her different ones.

She will hopefully be with you for years, so it's worth taking things slowly and building a really solid foundation of trust.

Something I thought of when watching your video is that she might not like being touched on her breast. Leia certainly doesn't, and will let me know that she doesn't like it by moving away from me. Perhaps try asking her if she'd like her head and neck scratched - this is how unmated parrots would preen each other, and would probably be interpreted as a friendly act. I ask Leia if she wants a headscratch by making a scratching motion with my fingers near her head, and if she wants a headscratch she bows her head and fluffs up her head and neck feathers. If she doesn't want a scratch, she'll move away a step or two.

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
You sure it's a female :roflmao: looks like she wants to be lovable but unsure. But also looks a little like a " he" wanting a little " hand loving".
From what I've seen petting on the back and tail gives " mixed signals":roflmao: if your doing a lot of that.
But just my opinion, I'm sure there's more experienced answers here:D

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
Also have a goffin cockatoo, if I'm not watching he will grab on to my hand and try to get affectionate. He always starts by gently grabbing my hand with his toes and then .....bam:roflmao: it's like trying to get an angry crab to let go lol

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
No she didn’t step on my arm or very rarly , and when she fly’s she fly on my Schulter and the back of my shoulder so I can’t reach her, she wouldn’t stay on my leg if I’m sitting. She always try to be watching me. So I don’t touch her back.
I have no idea how to solve this

Sorry if I ask questions you've already answered...

Can you give her treats or food regardless where she is? In or our?

Do you have a playstand / java tree type stand to put her on to work with her?

Have you tried sitting and basically 'ignoring' her? Most parrots, and especially macaws it seems, are like curious little kids, they have to come over to see what you're up to. If you can sit with a plate or bowl of food for both of you to eat, like chunks of veggies and fruits, nuts, etc., and slowly eat making sure she sees you. Chances are, curiosity and the natural reaction to eat with her flock should kick in and she will climb up on your leg / lap and sit with you to share what you have. If she does climb up and onto your leg, don't touch her, just hand her pieces of food and sit quietly and eat with her.

Same thing with toys, what does her cage look like, what type of toys or treats does she like? My husband has made friends with my macaw and they have their own routine and things they 'do' together. While I can pick Max any way I want (I can grab him around the body like a football or chicken) and he is a total snuggle bug with me, but my husband would be bleeding if he tried to grab Max the way I can. But, they have a routine that Byron goes over and sits on the landing of the steps where Max has a bunch of toys and plays, and they play with Max's favorite toys or even play catch, but most important, Byron brings along pistachios to give Max while they are there. And now Max steps up and will give a quick snuggle, but Byron can scratch Max's head... they have their own unique more like play buddies type relationship.

Is there anyone in the home that can handle your girl and that she is does snuggle up to and steps up for?

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
Getting them to step up off their cage is a good milestone ,if she's already doing that then just have patience.

From experience and learning from other owners I've discovered that some birds take a while to " come out of their shell"

I've got a harlequin that came from a bad situation and it's been a year and she still has her moments

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Getting them to step up off their cage is a good milestone ,if she's already doing that then just have patience.

From experience and learning from other owners I've discovered that some birds take a while to " come out of their shell"

I've got a harlequin that came from a bad situation and it's been a year and she still has her moments

Totally agree with this point!! While it is important for your bird to step up on request for safety reasons (something going on and you need to get her out of the room or house), but for the early stages, sometimes let them set the pace. Again, with the video and what you are describing, she wants to be friends, but maybe like some people she's a bit shy or awkward making new friends :) Just love and patience and accepting her for who she is!! It will pay off and you'll have an amazing best friend before you know it :)

Pica

Moving in
It's okay if she wants to observe you. Some parrots just like to watch without being touched, and that's fine. I would build up her confidence by letting her tell you how she wants to interact, and as long as it doesn't set up bad habits (such as regurgitating or being aggressive) I would support her in however she wants to be around you. The important thing is that she does want to be around you and is seeking out contact - she's curious about you, and that's something you want to encourage.

You may want to think about ways to interact that involve less contact. Offering her special foods is a good approach, as is having a collection of foot toys and offering her different ones.

She will hopefully be with you for years, so it's worth taking things slowly and building a really solid foundation of trust.

Something I thought of when watching your video is that she might not like being touched on her breast. Leia certainly doesn't, and will let me know that she doesn't like it by moving away from me. Perhaps try asking her if she'd like her head and neck scratched - this is how unmated parrots would preen each other, and would probably be interpreted as a friendly act. I ask Leia if she wants a headscratch by making a scratching motion with my fingers near her head, and if she wants a headscratch she bows her head and fluffs up her head and neck feathers. If she doesn't want a scratch, she'll move away a step or two.

Thx for ur reply, she is certainly going to stay with me:)
Im working a bit more relaxed with her and avoiding to push her to stay around .
The problem is when she plays she try to catch my fingers and bit just a bit but some times she would leave a pressure mark on my skin or she would just try to pull just the skin and the one hearts. Is this normal with macaw ?

Pica

Moving in
Thx guys for ur replies, I could reply to u all, we r getting a bit closer, she will always fly to me to take her treat or just get a piece of Banane. It just this semi bitting behavior. Playing with my fingers and pushing a big hard with the peak or just trying to hold a skin fold and this hurts.