• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Advice for Newbie

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
I've recently come into ownership of a newly adopted 4-year old Blue and Gold macaw. The previous owner was going to be changing their life style to that of a more mobile variety where they would often be traveling and would also be moving away. They posted the bird on craigslist and I picked him up yesterday for $800 (including large cage). When I arrived at the location, I was amazed because the macaw was outside attached to a stand by a harness and leash with the owners sitting nearby. I know thats something that many macaw owners are able to trust their birds with, but I had never seen it done before so it was pretty cool. "Maui" stepped up onto my arm within 10 seconds of meeting me and I learned that he apparently was used to doing shows and had been held by many hundreds of people and had never bitten them. Maui is quiet (incredibly, hasn't screamed once and is totally happy), playful (goes crazy about bells jingling and stuff, and if im holding something, he wants it), nippy (not too bad, I think just in the characteristic macaw manner), super cuddly, and an escape artist (he has to have 2 padlocks on his cage to make sure he doesnt escape or empty his food and water bowls on the floor outside). Honestly, he's the coolest macaw I've met due to his outgoing nature and lack of the normal macaw issues of the deafening screams and biting like crazy. However, I'm having a few issues which I assume are just part of owning a macaw that I'm sure the people here can help me work out.
1. Regurgitation - I know this is a behavior to be discouraged due to not wanting to encourage mating hormones and stuff, but he grabs my hand nonstop to try to share some of his chewed food with me. Hes also tried to feed my nose and chin. How can I let him know I'm not interested in mating? I don't ever pet his back or under his wings, I keep it to a above-the-neck basis, the only time I touched his back was to remove his harness. He's a big cuddler too and wants to be on the shoulder touching my neck (usually with wing around part of head) or if im laying down, on my chest, I don't know if these behaviors are somehow linked.
2. Claws - I'm not really sure what to do about this. Maui is a big bird, like any large macaw. He grabs hard with his claws and my arms look like they've been through thorn patches, its not comfortable either. The previous owners gave me a set of welders gloves as that is what they would put on children to make sure their arms didn't look like mine by the time Maui was off of them. When I try to wear one he bites me (its not hard enough to draw blood, but its not comfortable either). What are some good ways I can cope with this?

I've had a lot of experience with numerous types of parrots (I used to hand raise babies for a pet store, it was such a cool job, did it for a while and barely turned a profit, but it was well worth it). I've only really done lovebirds, conures, and cockatiels though (of which I have the most experience with). The only bird I've had as a pet is my cockatiel Nigel (who is doing great, though not happy about sharing time with me) and I've had him for years, but theres not a ton of similarities between the two animals.

In summary, I want to make sure Maui is happy and I don't want the whole mating thing to become a mental issue for him, but I also really would love suggestions for how to cope with having my arm clawed so intensely.

ArowanaLover

In addition, any advice on how to get him to go back in his cage would be much appreciated, this bird is very intent on being out and about.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You're going to have to trim, Drexel, or file those nails. When my birds do the head bobbing prior to regurgitation, I completely ignore them. I will walk away if they're on a play stand or in the aviary. If I'm holding them, I set them down. Ignore, don't react at all.

ArowanaLover

Thank you, I've been trying to not react, I'll keep it up. Cutting his nails shouldn't be too difficult, he's so docile he does high fives and stuff. The previous owner asked me if I'd like one wing clipped (I said yes, I'd prefer to start with clipped and let us learn each other before allowing free flight around, especially as he isn't used to flying), he lifted his wing on command and she just clipped it, he didnt even flinch. Shouldn't be too much of a challenge to trim his nails.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
He sounds like a nice bird! Hope everyone can offer more advice for you .