• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macadamia Nut Toxicity In Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was talking to Tanya last night, and she told me that Macadamia nuts were toxic to dogs:eek: I had never heard that. I figured I would post this, just in case I'm not the only one this is news to:)

Human foods that poison pets

"The toxic compound is unknown but the affect of macadamia nuts is to cause difficulties with movement. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated. In some respects, the condition resembles that seen with tick paralysis."

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you for posting this!!

Before I came to live in Australia I had never known about it either. We have a lot of Macadamia trees in Australia so I think it is common knowledge over here.

I used to give my dog Macadamia nuts (in their hard shells) to play ball with!!! :eek:

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Do you know unripe ones are toxic to parrots? Last year we had a small flock of endangered Carnabys cockatoos who because of the drought were desperate for food, ate a whole lot of macs which were unripe...with the result the whole flock died. Very sad, very costly loss for an endangered population. Bears thinking of when feeding our feathered mates. I wait till the macs fall off the tree before feeding them to my corella Dusty.

4isEnough

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellina
Two of my yorkies got into a bag of macadamia nuts. I don't know how many they ate. Within a few hours, one had leg paralysis. His rear legs gave out and he was in severe pain. The other one would scream if I touched him anywhere on his body. It was awful. The vet could not pump their stomach because several hours had passed already and the nuts had digested. All they could do was give fluids. It took the dogs 48 hours to recover and get all their mobility back. Some dogs get neurological damage and never recover.
Macadamia nuts are the worst of all toxic foods for dogs with very serious consequences. I wonder why they are hardly ever mentioned on toxic lists.
Here is a pic I took of my boys when they were sick in bed with macadamia poisoning:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Yeah I experienced this nightmare about 3 years ago. Had a bag of them in my car and my little Lucy got into them. Didn't think much of it figured they were just like any other nut. Within a few hours she was miserable couldn't jump up onto the couch or anything. Ended up taking her in. She got charcoal down her throat and a enema as well as some meds to help. And she had to stay the night at the vets too.:( Since then no more macadamia's in my house. The vet also said she shouldn't have any nuts now because her body might be more sensitive to them and even peanuts could cause her to have a reaction.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
OMG! i never heard this our dogs are always cleaning up after the birds...I dont think they drop many nuts but you can never be too careful.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
OMG! i never heard this our dogs are always cleaning up after the birds...I dont think they drop many nuts but you can never be too careful.
Mine do the same thing. I'm glad I asked the owner of the bird store what the one in shell nut in the food mix I get Pretty was because they are macadamia nuts.:eek: Luckily I hadn't given one to her not that she'd be able to crack it anyways. Anymore they just go in the garbage.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mine do the same thing. I'm glad I asked the owner of the bird store what the one in shell nut in the food mix I get Pretty was because they are macadamia nuts.:eek: Luckily I hadn't given one to her not that she'd be able to crack it anyways. Anymore they just go in the garbage.
Susan, don't toss them out. Check and see if another bird owner might want them. Might have to be someone with a Macaw, as they are hard nuts to crack :) Maybe there is a rescue in your area that can make good use of them :)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, I was shocked :eek: I am usually pretty savvy as to what is safe for who, but this one I had never seen.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to give my dog Macadamia nuts (in their hard shells) to play ball with!!! :eek:
:omg: scary in retrospect :eek:

Do you know unripe ones are toxic to parrots? Last year we had a small flock of endangered Carnabys cockatoos who because of the drought were desperate for food, ate a whole lot of macs which were unripe...with the result the whole flock died. Very sad, very costly loss for an endangered population. Bears thinking of when feeding our feathered mates. I wait till the macs fall off the tree before feeding them to my corella Dusty.
Wow, I had no clue. Really great to know for those that feed Macadamia nuts. My birds don't like them, so we never have any here.

Two of my yorkies got into a bag of macadamia nuts. I don't know how many they ate. Within a few hours, one had leg paralysis. His rear legs gave out and he was in severe pain. The other one would scream if I touched him anywhere on his body. It was awful. The vet could not pump their stomach because several hours had passed already and the nuts had digested. All they could do was give fluids. It took the dogs 48 hours to recover and get all their mobility back. Some dogs get neurological damage and never recover.
Macadamia nuts are the worst of all toxic foods for dogs with very serious consequences. I wonder why they are hardly ever mentioned on toxic lists.
Here is a pic I took of my boys when they were sick in bed with macadamia poisoning:
Ellina, I am so glad your boys are fine. That has got to be one of the cutest pictures I've seen in a long time:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.