• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lutino split

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I' new to bird ownership, and well, birds all together. I just heard of a Lutino split. I've heard lutino, I know there are a lot of mutations, but I'm having trouble understanding the meanings of the terms. If the mother is lutino, and father Lutino split, that means what exactly? Is this a way of nest sexing?

Cassandra.c87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
lutino split means a male carries one normal gene and one lutino gene (resulting in a normal looking bird who carries lutino). pairing a lutino hen to a split lutino male can give you both male and female lutinos.
females can not be split lutino as it's a sex-linked mutation (only males can be split lutino, pearl and cinnamon) so the only way to nest sex a lutino is when the mother is not a lutino, in this case all lutino chicks will be female

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Cassandra pretty much nailed it!

You might also think of it in terms of human hair color. You can have two parents with brown hair, brown eyes, and they could have a child with blond hair and blue or brown eyes. It just means that both parents had a blonde relative in their past. (parent, grand parent, even great grand parents!)

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
There are 2 Lutino babies and one regular (I don' like that term) cockatiel. I honestly dont care about the sex, by i had read about mutations, and was confused, but that you for helping me understand now. That helps explain why one was not Lutino. Thanks so my for taking time to help me!!