• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lupron question

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have a chronic egg-laying tiel. Yes, I have tried all those suggestions to the best of my ability to stop her. Last year - she had one injection of Lupron which stopped her for 3 months, then 1 clutch of 5 eggs and then she stopped again for 5 months. She started laying again at the end of January, and after laying 19 eggs - I took her in for another shot. That was May 1. She has laid 4 eggs since then. The vet has suggested another shot at a higher dose but I should wait a week. Both times she has been given 200 mcg.

For those who have used Lupron what dose does your bird get? Has increasing the dosage helped? Her usual weight is about 99-100 g. Thanks in advance.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sorry I never used lupron

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Cecilia, I have heard that is quite common in tiels. I am sorry you have to go through that. There are people on here that have used it for their aggressive male macaws I know. I am interested to see what people who have actually had to use have to say. There is controversy that goes with it. I have a female macaw that is setting on her eggs for a second time and I am hoping she will snap out of it, but like you, may be facing an intervention. And like you, we have tried just about everything. We even searched out and bought a male macaw, per advice on here because that was supposed to help in the long run.

Have you done a "lupron" search on here?
sherri

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Not sure about the exact dosage (though I can ask on Saturday), but two of my birds have been on Lupron. My male budgie, Dale, has been getting monthly shots for a year for a Sertoli cell tumor. He had a dose increase which has helped. We tried to go back to a lower dose a few months ago, but his cere turned brown again (a symptom of his condition). It took two months of the higher dose for it to return to blue.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know the dose either, but my vet does at least 3 injections, two weeks apart. His protocol is to keep doing a shot every 2 weeks until they go 3 doses with no eggs.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
@SherLar , yes I have done a search here - but did not find info on dosage. I was happy when it stopped her for as long as it did. She is up to 23 eggs now since the end of January. They have all had a hard shell. I try to feed her well, provide calcium supplements as needed and she is fully flighted and is allowed time out of her cage every day.

@enigma731, My tiel, Lily was a chronic layer for the first 2 years I had her - laying her first at about 8-9 months old. I discussed Lupron with him then, and I remember he mentioned a treatment of 3 shots. But then she stopped for over 5 years and started up again. I wonder why he wants me to wait another week? That was Monday and she has since laid another egg.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think there's a period they have to wait in between even if it's not working yet. But you could certainly ask him!

ETA: I've never had to go past 3 shots, but my vet said he's done as many as 10 for really severe chronic layers. He also said that if he gets to that point, they talk about an implant instead. Is that something your vet offers?

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
@enigma731 , I asked about the implant last year. He told me then he does not like to use them due to the side affects - some birds become very listless, inactive, don't eat. So not sure, he would actually offer it. Tiel Lily is back down to her normal weight this morning after her last egg laid sometime yesterday after I left to go to work. Hoping this is the end for awhile.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting, I've only ever heard really good things about them. But it sounds like you can certainly try more shots first. Fingers crossed for her!

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
For people, studies were done and many many potential side effects. I would have to give them to adults for varying reasons. A very close friend had to give them to her daughter when she was young, and there are definite drawbacks to that. It all has to be weighed out. Long term studies are typically not done on birds, so an owner has to weigh the good and bad and decide for each case with their vet. Have a bird stuck in the sex hormones is tough too, for the bird and owner. Not an easy decision. I don't envy people facing it, and I am crossing our fingers that we soon get our B&G under control, as yours.
sherri

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Emily had no problem with implants. She got one every five months

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Saroj, do tell. Emily is a tiel? and how old and what were her circumstances and how many years did she get them? I understand a tiel is not the same as a B&G. I just want to learn.
sherri

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Following with interest. Torrie has laid about 10 eggs since Jan... she is so tired that she lays her head down .... I’ve got to do something.

May try to take her to vet tomorrow . Gotta take the dog, she can barely walk. We’re a mess here!

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Tiel Lily laid another egg yesterday. I took her back in for another injection this morning at a higher dose. Hopefully this helps.