1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lunging & Biting

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by NewIRNmom, 6/14/19 at 1:04 PM.

1. NewIRNmom

NewIRNmom Checking out the neighborhood

Becky
    I am a new bird owner I have had Polly for almost 2 months she is mature around 2 years old according to the vet I have had her vet check because I don't know anything about her history at all at the time I got her she was with a very young couple who had no knowledge of how to care for her and did not interact with her much. When I first got her she would step up and go to my shoulder she would play with my hair and jewelry and chatter away. Then one day I put my hand out for her to step up and she lunged and bit me very hard she would not let go she took skin and blood I didn't yell or jerk I did just what the information said and pushed back with my finger and put her down. However since then she lunged at me and has brought blood several times. She does not turn from me her eyes pin and she lunges to bite she talks with me all day sings whistle plays but if I move my hand close to her she will lunge I have taken her to the vet and she checked out as healthy and I changed her diet her prior owner was feeding only seeds I now have her on a proper diet. I have been doing training but I'm not having much luck I'm afraid my bird hates me and I know they are such loving smart beautiful birds I would like to be able to train her but I don't understand this behavior.

Lodah likes this.
  2. Lodah

Lodah Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

:welave: It sounds just like every fids behavior to me... hopefully someone with IRN fids will chime in soon and give you the advice which will help you! Till then... don't let the bite become a habit... in other words, look for the body language and AVOID the bite before it happens! fids are one of the most rewarding for their intelligence and antics, enjoy the ride, its not a short one, but the end is always a good one! (amazons excluded :scared6:) :)

Monica, Eloy and Shezbug like this.
  3. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Welcome to the Avenue :)

Lodah and Eloy like this.
  4. msplantladi

msplantladi Jogging around the block

dee
    ahhhh the honeymoon stage ( the first couple months ) seems to be over-very normal. Is the bird only displaying the lunging & biting around her cage? Next the bird has to "NEED" something from you , food is your best friend at this point. At night take out her food dish and in the morning when she is the hungriest hand feed her to start building the trust. You can use something she really enjoys-fruit, nuts etc. Most people tend to over fill food dishes, if that's the case she doesn't need anything from you. Don't let her just climb out of her cage , open the cage door and make her come to you to receive her snack-if she shows no signs of coming out close the door and walk away, in a few minutes come back and try again, chat w/ her the whole time in a low calming voice. keep doing this through out the day-it takes a while to build that trust. No shoulder as that gives her dominance over you & you can't read body language. It can months or just a few weeks just be patient.

Ripshod likes this.
  5. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    I do not agree with the advice you were given... Agree with Lodah though... avoid/redirect before the bite occurs. If you do get bit, do get the bird off of you, but don't make a big deal about it and don't punish your bird. Simply get them off and try to figure out how to avoid that situation in the future.

What training techniques are you using?

Lodah likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)