• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lump, blood feather and chipping beak

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
BC35C501-D61A-4A37-89E5-578F2FA27EEF.jpeg DC83D41C-12F5-4EC1-94CA-FE11FBE95350.jpeg 3660FDB4-8B97-46B5-83BE-EF4C51521A3F.jpeg The other day I noticed blood under her feathers. I took a closer look to see it was blood and was able to get pictures. Also part of her beak chipped off is that a wear or tear kind of thing or is or more serious? I also noticed a bump on her back after her bath.the past week she has been puffed up a lot too. Any advice? I’m thinking vet but I’m new to having a bird so I want to know if this is normal before taking her.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, it's time to get her to the vet. To me the lump is the most worrisome - is it still there. If she fell and broke the feather and damaged her beak, she may be in pain and need some pain meds. But the lump is the most worrisome.

BTW - does she have any cage mates? Do you have a cat or a dog that may have gotten to her?

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
She does not have cage mate. We have a dog but there is no way the dog got to her. And yes the lump is still there

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would certainly be thinking of a vet visit like @Hankmacaw said. Better safe than sorry and lumps on any living being need to be checked.
I hope everything will be ok for kiwi the adorable little bird.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks like she needs a trip to the Dr.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she’ll be okay, let us know how the vet goes!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hope she's ok! A lot of new bird owners are scared by a 'lump' on their bird's back that turns out to just be their elbow. They have very bony little elbows. I'd feel again and see if there's a matching lump on the other side.

I don't see any blood in the photos - well not any blood that isn't where it should be, lol. What you show looks like a normal blood feather with a blood-filled shaft. Was it actually bleeding earlier? It's normal to see the blood in them, especially with those light colored flight feathers, but that's just how the feather develops. Once the feather grows in fully, the blood supply dries up and it will look like her other feathers. Nothing should be done unless it's actually damaged and bleeding.

Also, a little flaking of the beak is normal, and also not something to worry about. The beak is bone covered with keratin that grows constantly (like your fingernails) and flaking and peeling is normal. But, actual beak injuries that damage the bone are very painful and can become infected or cause the beak to grow abnormally, so if it's a large beak injury, then a vet would be needed. A serious beak injury is rare unless a bird is bitten by a larger bird, or falls or flies into something pretty hard. 90% of the time when someone's worried about a chipped beak, they are just seeing the normal flaking on a healthy beak.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Oh wow, my cockatoo Fred has a bump just like that on the back of his one wing. After reading the replies on here I will be taking him to a vet. Hope your little one is going to be alright. Please let us know.

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the responses. The bump is actually in the center of her back. I will call the vet on Monday.