• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Lucy had an allergic reaction to her shots :(

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
*sigh*

She usually does but this year it seems to be the worst it’s ever been.

Normal vs swollen
AE7565B8-5858-49D4-89E9-B65C0636D48D.jpeg

Swollen vs. now
1F9595C7-4843-447C-8D14-0157F6FF89DE.jpeg

She is definitely doing better now. But still a little swollen around the eyes. She has an appointment at the vets office tomorrow to get her ear looked at (she has a hematoma) so we will address her reaction then.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Poor baby! But she's adorable!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
AWWWE! Poor baby girl!

Reactions: Lo_

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh my,,,hope shes gonna be ok!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might want to talk to the vet about possibly giving her a dose of benadryl every year before she gets her shots. Also maybe in her case not getting shots every year would be a good choice.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Poor baby!! I'm glad he's doing better though :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its hard when you have a dog or cat who displays allergies. I had a cat that almost died from a flea dip. She also could not take any of the vaccines, including Rabies. This kitty was very inbred and also had asthma, heart murmur and other illnesses but she lived for 16 years. Lucy will have a nice long life with you now that you know she is the allergic type of pet.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
omg poo little thing i do have to admit we don't have much to worry about here in france and i stop vaccinating my dogs years ago i only give parasite treament, being a dog groomer i unfortunatly see this often and i am more and more against it

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could get a blood titer done to check to see if she has the antibodies for whatever she got the vaccination for. I do that with one of my dogs. Titer Testing: An Alternative to Annual Vaccinations for Your Dog | The Bark I'm probably going to start doing that with my other dogs, too.
Of course rabies vaccination is not optional and the only way you can have your dog not get that is if your vet writes an exception. At least that is what you have to do in California. Other states may vary. I had to do that with one of my dogs due to a severely compromised immune system.
Hope all goes well with the vet appt.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Poor baby.
Hope the vet was able to help her.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Poor baby! But she's adorable!

AWWWE! Poor baby girl!

Oh my,,,hope shes gonna be ok!

Poor baby!! I'm glad he's doing better though :hug8:

Its hard when you have a dog or cat who displays allergies. I had a cat that almost died from a flea dip. She also could not take any of the vaccines, including Rabies. This kitty was very inbred and also had asthma, heart murmur and other illnesses but she lived for 16 years. Lucy will have a nice long life with you now that you know she is the allergic type of pet.

I hope that her veterinarian appointment goes well, and that she makes a full recovery.

Poor baby.
Hope the vet was able to help her.

Thank you all!!
Her appointment was a success. She got her hematoma drained and some medicine for it and she got fluids and some anti-nausea shots to help her with her reaction. We are going to give her a Benadryl before she gets her vaccines from now on and she is only going to get 1-2 at a time.
She has a check up in about 2 weeks to make sure her ears are doing okay. She had infections in both! :(

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
You might want to talk to the vet about possibly giving her a dose of benadryl every year before she gets her shots. Also maybe in her case not getting shots every year would be a good choice.
Yes she is going to get a Benadryl before hand now and we are going to limit her number of shots :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
You could get a blood titer done to check to see if she has the antibodies for whatever she got the vaccination for. I do that with one of my dogs. Titer Testing: An Alternative to Annual Vaccinations for Your Dog | The Bark I'm probably going to start doing that with my other dogs, too.
Of course rabies vaccination is not optional and the only way you can have your dog not get that is if your vet writes an exception. At least that is what you have to do in California. Other states may vary. I had to do that with one of my dogs due to a severely compromised immune system.
Hope all goes well with the vet appt.

Thank you! I will look into this :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So glad that little sweet girl is feeling better now, and you can hopefully prevent the swelling in the future. Her little eyes looked so pitiful! :heart: