• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent LUCY GOT INTO THE SKETTI!!!

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Okay guys I turned my back for litterally 5 minutes and heard Lucy in the kitchen eating out of the pot of leftover spaghetti!! I am terrified because I know shes not supposed to eat tomato sauce, garlic, or onion!! OMG I dont know what to do I feel like such an awful mom ! Shes acting fine right now but what do I need to do!? Its all over her beak :(

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Well I have been researching and it sais that a nibble of pasta sauce wont kill her but should be avoided. I think she will be fine. Im keeping an eye on her. Not sure how much she ate but I got to her very quickly. I used the hunts "garlic and herb" sauce in a can. Not even sure if it had onion in it. Im just tripping! I know tomatoes are controversial but I have ALWAYS avoided anything that is toxic or controversial to that matter.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Stay calm. Tomatoes are safe, but not garlic, salt and onions. But a small amount will not kill her.
Make sure she drinks, (give her some juice if she drinks more of that) and eats so she can digest the bad things on her own.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Stay calm. Tomatoes are safe, but not garlic, salt and onions. But a small amount will not kill her.
Make sure she drinks, (give her some juice if she drinks more of that) and eats so she can digest the bad things on her own.
Thank you for your reply. I know she barely ate much at all but I am giving her some water to drink and some blueberries because she sucks the juice out of those. I swear if anything happened to my baby I would be devestated :(

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
She will be fine. tomato fruit is fine, all other parts of the plant are toxic.
raw garlic and onion should not be fed repeatedly, a little is fine
actually I'd say the salt content is probably the worst thing.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
She will be fine. tomato fruit is fine, all other parts of the plant are toxic.
raw garlic and onion should not be fed repeatedly, a little is fine
actually I'd say the salt content is probably the worst thing.
Thank you! Yall are making me feel better. Shes eating her blueberries right now :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Lucky and beautiful girl! ♥
And as you can see her eyes are clear and fully open = looks very healthy.
If she had been poisoned she had not looked like that. (they had been fuzzy/blured and part opened)

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Lucky and beautiful girl! ♥
And as you can see her eyes are clear and fully open = looks very healthy.
If she had been poisoned she had not looked like that. (they had been fuzzy/blured and part opened)
Thank you so much! Your very sweet :) She eats a lot and has great nutrition! She gets tons of exercise too! Rarely in her cage. She enjoys talking all day long! Thank you for your help and now I will know what to look for if she does get poisoned in the future but were gonna avoid that! Haha!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If your bird was going to try onion and garlic.. at least they were cooked in an acid (tomato). This would have changed a lot about the chemical state and amino acid chains. The salt would be the biggest concern. Clearly this is not an endorsement to feed onion, garlic or any of the non-safe bird foods to birds.. if Lucy was going to go ahead and try.. whew... much better than eating fresh onion or the like.

:geek:
Onion and garlic are scary things, humans are one of the only organisms that can really eat them. I am personally onion intolerant, not anaphylaxis like other allergies, but I do have many complications from onions..not limited to becoming immune compromised whilst my body fights it... So then I can easily pick up other illnesses. Interestingly enough when onion is cooked in a tomato sauce or salsa and canned.. the acid and heat change the amino acid so I am no longer reactive to it. This also happens a lot for people with shellfish allergies. Typically a 100% cooked prawn will not create a reaction...however if even 1 amino acid chain hasn't been broken down they can get anaphylaxis. I personally can't eat fresh salsa or tomato sauces, because it is never cooked as thoroughly as canned.:geek: I will point out that onions have been poorly researched in birds. --there have been cases of geese and ducks perishing from onion..

How Toxic Are Onions To Parrots?
Top Ten Bird Killers "Onions can cause a fatal hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats, but since birds' red blood cells have a nucleus, this may protect the cells from the severe injury that occurs in other species. However, until this topic is studied, it is best to not feed onions to birds."

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a little stinker she is! At least she’s a cute stinker!:heart:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
If your bird was going to try onion and garlic.. at least they were cooked in an acid (tomato). This would have changed a lot about the chemical state and amino acid chains. The salt would be the biggest concern. Clearly this is not an endorsement to feed onion, garlic or any of the non-safe bird foods to birds.. if Lucy was going to go ahead and try.. whew... much better than eating fresh onion or the like.

:geek:
Onion and garlic are scary things, humans are one of the only organisms that can really eat them. I am personally onion intolerant, not anaphylaxis like other allergies, but I do have many complications from onions..not limited to becoming immune compromised whilst my body fights it... So then I can easily pick up other illnesses. Interestingly enough when onion is cooked in a tomato sauce or salsa and canned.. the acid and heat change the amino acid so I am no longer reactive to it. This also happens a lot for people with shellfish allergies. Typically a 100% cooked prawn will not create a reaction...however if even 1 amino acid chain hasn't been broken down they can get anaphylaxis. I personally can't eat fresh salsa or tomato sauces, because it is never cooked as thoroughly as canned.:geek: I will point out that onions have been poorly researched in birds. --there have been cases of geese and ducks perishing from onion..

How Toxic Are Onions To Parrots?
Top Ten Bird Killers "Onions can cause a fatal hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats, but since birds' red blood cells have a nucleus, this may protect the cells from the severe injury that occurs in other species. However, until this topic is studied, it is best to not feed onions to birds."
Thank you for the information! Yeah onions and garlic are two very powerful foods. Even the smells of both are strong. Luckily I am not allergic to anything. Sucks you cant have salsa though! I do have to be careful with acidic foods myself though because of acid reflux.