• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lucy-CAG

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
My parents bought a CAG in mid-late 2003 and named her Lucy. To make a very long story short, Lucy has been living with me for the last week, and I intend for her to stay. I watched my parents' four parrots while they went on vacation (made 11 parrots in my house!) and she and I bonded. It's clear Lucy prefers females, and while my dad tried his hardest with her (step-mom completely lost interest in her), she began plucking/mutilating her feathers. She was vetted when it all began, and no medical reason was found. She is a fuzzball except her wings (feathers destroyed), tail, and head.

She is amazingly affectionate with me, and very gentle. I'm implementing a few changes already (improved diet, LOTS of attention, different toys/treats), but am open to any and all suggestions. Parrots are not new to me (have had them since 1999), but greys definitely are. I've interacted with Lucy at their house, but never to this extent. My dad sees how she is with me and he is just blown away at how different she is.

I do have one question though....and I know the whole disclaimer that not all parrots will talk, BUT... Lucy does not talk. She has been known to say "hi baby girl" occasionally. She does whistle and make lots of noises though. She was in a bedroom (bird room) off of a hallway (with 3 other birds), away from the main living area. Dad has stands in the living areas, and nice "garage" cages for playing, baths, etc. At my house, Lucy IS in the main living area. I think she CRAVES the activity and attention (I also have 3 kids, ages 11, 9, and 5 so there is ALWAYS activity). Being that she is 15, is it possible for her to learn to talk at this point? I've been trying to teach her some new noises (a loud cluck/knock with my tongue) and there is a lot of beak activity, and she has finally started quietly making the noises. It really doesn't matter to me if she talks or not, but if there is the chance that she could, I'd like to start working with her. My other birds have just picked things up in passing...and I can tell there is some healthy competition going on currently.

Any suggestion/tips/etc are welcome.
Lucy.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's a cutie. I think if she talks a little she can learn to talk more. Sometimes birds also only talk when they grow more comfortable in their surroundings. My 'too is over 25. He came to use speaking some but has learned new words in the year he has been with us. I don't think he'll ever have a huge vocabulary but I often hear him mumbling which is also how birds practice new words. Repetition really is how they learn I think. Which is why you always have to be careful of what you say in front of birds. LOL. I have asked my bird to 'step up' so many times that he now says "step up". Still doesn't do it, but he says it. :rolleyes:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She definitely is a cutie. As for the possibility to pick up more language, you never know. Milton, our U2, really didn't do much talking the first couple of years he was with us. Ever since then, it's been a literal explosion of vocabulary...we've estimated Milty has about 75 words and phrases...and many times, he uses them in context...:)

MCraig

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Megan
Lucy looks like such a sweetheart!
My CAG Oslow had a small plucking issue (not Lucy's extent, but still plucking). We do regular showers (shower perch in the bathroom, if he doesn't want to get wet he still gets the benefit of the steam) - he does not like to be misted so that's why we do the shower. He also enjoys a dip in his water bowl, flooding my floor! I feed chop daily, and Harrison's High Potency Coarse - greys need the higher fat content (as compared to say, an amazon that needs a lower fat content). We also rotate his toys at least weekly - taking one or two out/moving them around/replacing them. I also find my grey LOVES to shred, so I always have rolled up paper attached to his cage to shred. I think he has turned to shredding the paper instead of himself.
I think Lucy will start talking. My grey is 9 and he is learning new phrases and words literally every day. That is one of the most entertaining things about a grey - their ability to mimic compares to no other.

Just a word of caution - my grey is (and most greys are) a one person bird. that person for us is my husband, but obviously Lucy has taken a liking to you. Watch out for the kids (obviously, you know this having so many other birds), but I find that my grey is the fastest biter in my flock. He is swift and means business if he doesn't like someone (mainly me!!)

I have heard a lot of good things about the supplement AviCalm, you may want to look into that.
Good luck!

Max83

Walking the driveway
cute girl your Lucy. I think she'll learn new words and sound being always around you and your kids. Even mine likes imitating sounds more than words...

And Lucy is young enough to stop plucking! good luck! :) which other birds do you currently have?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
By the sound of it, she has taken to you. If she was left with other birds in a "bird room" with minimum interaction, it may take her a bit of time to come around, but since she has spoken before, she may do it again once she feels more comfortable in her new surroundings (and all the attention she is getting).
If she wasn't getting regular baths, (since you r step mother lost interest in her) she may take kindly to it.
She definitely looks like a sweetheart, and hopefully she will stop plucking now she is in a better (for her) environment. :)

Last edited:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
She definitely is a cutie. As for the possibility to pick up more language, you never know. Milton, our U2, really didn't do much talking the first couple of years he was with us. Ever since then, it's been a literal explosion of vocabulary...we've estimated Milty has about 75 words and phrases...and many times, he uses them in context...:)
Pilo loves Milty! He is his hero and loves it when we talk about his antics! Almost like children having stories read to them! :fairy2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have heard a lot of good things about the supplement AviCalm, you may want to look into that.
I don't, as a rule, recommend any type of product here, but I highly recommend AviCalm....:)