1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lucky has begun molting... oh the pain.

Discussion in 'Ringneck and other Keet Street' started by LesBirdman, 10/1/18.

1. LesBirdman

LesBirdman Meeting neighbors

Leslie Wessling
    So Lucky and I have been doing great, I built her a new perch which fits nicely next to her main one to give her more space to move and for toys to hang off of and she loves it. We even started mimicking a little and she is starting to slide into a proper diet and eating routine.

She started molting last week and since she has been a terror. She doesn't want me to leave her side, deciding that 2-3 metres is too far away but doesn't want anything to do with my hands either. She will step up if she gets herself stuck or if she wants to be on my shoulder but other than that it is either a chore or painful if I need to move her around the house.

She has 3 of 5 flight feathers back already and seems to realise that she can fly better now, she is definitely testing her capabilities. She will jump from my finger to her perch with a wing beat from about 30-40 cm now, and I wanted to begin flight training as soon as she started flying, but her sudden attitude change is going to make it nigh impossible.

I know she is uncomfortable, it would be like a teething toddler, but I really hope that she comes through this and goes back to the happy chattery bird she was two weeks ago.

LSA likes this.
  2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    They definitely can be crabby/clingy little things when they're molting. Do you give her baths? A bath might help her feel better and soften some of the pin feathers.

LesBirdman and expressmailtome like this.
  3. tka

tka Sprinting down the street

She will come through this.

Leia is moulting and is so itchy and definitely more cranky than usual. Flight feathers are embedded into the bone, so I imagine it is uncomfortable to feel them grow! New feathers are sensitive while they're in their sheath and still have a blood supply. It's temporary and Lucky will go back to being happy and chattery once her new feathers have grown in.

4. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Walking the driveway I Can't Stop Posting!

Tricia
    Are there foods we can give them to expedite feather growth and ease their discomfort?

LesBirdman likes this.
  5. tka

Baths and misting are the best thing for them. Just being in a warm, humid environment helps soften the sheaths so I take Leia into the shower with me. She has a shower perch that sunction cups onto the shower door and she hangs out on that while I fling water around :)

By the time the new feathers are emerging, it's too late to do much about them or their condition. New feathers grow under the skin and reflect things in the bird's life, including nutrition, stress etc. Good nutrition will help. I don't think there's any way we can speed up their growth and the feathers need time to harden and develop, then for the blood supply to wither.

LesBirdman likes this.
  6. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    I feel your pain. Titan was an unholy terror when he molted...and he MOLTED...no halfway with that bird! He wanted nothing more than to hang out with his favorite person...my BIL.

He'd get bald patches...then he'd lose his beloved tail feathers...which crabbed him out something fierce!

Hang in there...it will get better...:)

LesBirdman likes this.
  7. LesBirdman

Leslie Wessling
    Thanks for the words of wisdom and reassurance, Lucky and I are both learning at the moment so anything that can help is of value at the moment.

She does get showers, usually once a week with me but maybe I can up that to a couple or more while she does her feather thing. She likes to start out splashing on the floor until soaked, then likes to hang out in the mist on the shower rail.

She knows not to bite but clearly wants to be left alone at the moment, so I just set her on my lap when I'm home and we watch TV together lately while she poos and preens on me xD. whatever makes her happy.

cassiesdad likes this.
  8. tka

If she enjoys bathing then I would let her bathe as often as you can.

It's fine if she doesn't want to be touched. She clearly doesn't to be completely alone given she wants to be near or on you :) When she preens, you'll probably see translucent white flakes on your clothes; that's the sheathes coming off the tightly furled new feathers. Growing feathers are sensitive and she may not trust you to deal with them yet - I suppose it's like letting someone clean a cut or a graze for us.

9. LesBirdman

Leslie Wessling
    haha I thought of it like that, she is an IRN after all any way and they aren't always fond of being touched any way. Lucky in particular dislikes anything more than cuddling with my face when she is on my shoulder but sometimes she loves a little chin pet or head scratch at the best of times.

Lucky knows that feet touching or beak touching is sometimes necessary for her safety or comfort but she seems ultra sensitive now. She is nibbling at her feet more but I put that down to her shedding scales from her feet too, which seems to be a thing.

Mind you she still enjoys nibbling at my lips and teeth, just to make sure Daddy is eating properly I assume, it almost seems to replace any standard reward so I shall keep letting her do it when she is being a good girl.

Last edited: 10/2/18

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)