• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Loving Their Pellets

Danny425

Meeting neighbors
So Harrison's sent me some samples of their high potency pellets & I just got them in today. I've been waiting all week to see how my boys would react to their potential new food.

I was worried that they wouldn't take to it... but surprisingly they LOVED IT. I just poured a bit in their bowls and they went straight to eating them!

They are the super fine size so they do look like the seeds they were eating before. That helps a lot.

So far I don't think they notice a difference to be honest haha They're really going at their pellets wow they must really like it.

We're getting healthier everyday :)

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Be cautious with the high potency pellets in a small bird. My avian vet said they can overwhelm the liver. If the birds are over 1 year of age there is no reason for the high potency.

Danny425

Meeting neighbors
Oh okay thanks for the information! My birbs are only abut 3 months old though. I'll eventually switch them over to the lifetime pellets.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I would not feed the high potency at all. Ever! For any reason. I did temporary feeding of it to my Lovies, and the smallest one nearly died. The blood panel showed readings off the chart! The vet said not to feed the high potency.
There was a member who used to frequent here who had a sole lovebird that was her everything, she fed the high potency as the staple pellet. I warned her and she pretty much laughed at me. Cut to shortly there after with her bird dying of organ failure.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I fed High Potency to Pippin after he was critically ill to help him regain some of the weight he lost. He did great on it and would highly recommend it in such cases.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
It has nothing to do with weight. It has to do with the over abundance of vitamins and minerals. A body can only process and use so much of it. It’s like you taking 5 multivitamins everyday.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
It has nothing to do with weight. It has to do with the over abundance of vitamins and minerals. A body can only process and use so much of it. It’s like you taking 5 multivitamins everyday.

I think if hypervitaminosis was a widespread problem with Harrison's High Potency, we'd be seeing a lot more people posting about it. Deaths often associated with food are rarely actually caused by the food, but rather underlying disease or illness that can be exacerbated by certain diets.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I use a high potency food for my amazon, not Harrisons. I use it because he flies constantly and can’t keep weight on due to his enormous amount of activity and flying.

He eats a combo of that, nut/seeds, fresh and cooked foods as well though. He is also a larger bird compared to a lovie. I don’t have any experience feeding it to the littles.

Yours sure are cute!

Danny425

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone for their input!

I'm still deciding on which brand or brands I should go with, so this is by no means a permanent solution.

I'm expecting some more samples soon so I'll keep updating their progress :)

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Just thank your lucky stars that your boys took to the pellets...........now you just need to settle on a pellet that you feel good about. My two boys came from a breeder that fed a small amount of seed in a bowl of pellets, also sprouts and a few baby lettuces. My boys do not like veggies, but they do like sprouts, their pellets and baby lettuces. So I feel fortunate that they will eat even that much variety.