• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird's testing for sex

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I want to know if my lovebird is a male or female. I've been looking online for a company that offers this kind of service. I've seen that I need to pluck a few feathers from around the cloaca. I've been assured this doesn't hurt them, but I want to make sure of this. I do not need to know if he (I've been treating him as a he) is male or female, is pure curiosity. I woulnd't want to hurt him just out of curiosity.
Has anyone done something like this? Does anyone have any experience? Does it really not hurt them?
Thank you!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I ordered a dna test for my conures it’s sat in my window in kitchen I’ve decided against it I don’t want to personally just my opinion hurt them or break any trust just out of my curiosity my vets said they would do it
And I know it probably doesn’t hurt them but my hubby was like it hurts when someone pulls your hair which put me off then I changed it to nail clip blood but again hubby was like how would you feel if they get an infection even if vet does it this is probably rare and I am probably massively over thinking it but just for me to know I am not going to breed they are in separate cages probably keep it that way I personally don’t want to do it

I know loads of people have and their bird are just fine and I am not saying it’s bad probably better to know it’s just not for me

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think that if you are going to have the test done, have your vet take the feathers. They can be sure it is done quickly and efficiently with minimum stress. Also it will be the vet that breaks the birds trust and not you.

It is good to know the sex of our birds, it is important when thinking about eggs and hormones. It can be helpful in ruling out things quicker.

I will say, that I sexed all of my Roseicollis lovebirds without DNA and was correct with everyone. Using pelvic bones as a rough guide, from there some were proven with eggs/fertile eggs, my youngest "proven" with the absence of eggs coupled with his male behaviours.

If it is simply curiosity why you want to know, you can use this as a guide, and then use behaviour to get a better idea. Remember, this is not a foolproof method - DNA testing will give you the best accuracy.
malefemale.jpg

edit; to add, best checking the bones after the birds mature. Young birds pelvic bones can appear male, but later widen.