• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird with worms

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Hello -

This is not emergency of any sort, babies are well with no concerning symptoms.
I have read this thread & another thread.

I got Ronnie around Aug 2017 and Zelo in April 2018, both come from the same breeder but different parents. Ronnie checked out healthy when I brought him home but Zelo had worms when I initially took him to the vet in April. The vet told me the worms will clear up on their own and gave a medication in case I noticed unusual poo. I did not give him the medication because I thought the poo was okay + took him for another check up on May when his quarantine period was almost up and his poo results were clear. I also took Ronnie for a check up on April 2018, and his poo checked clear. I made sure I cleaned the quarantine room very thoroughly, as I use it regularly to have the birds out in this particular room. I never dewormed them before (which I feel very unhappy about it at this point).

Just took both of them on separate days to the vet for another check up as their behavior changed a bit (ruffy feathers, sleepiness, but poo ok) and found out they got infected :( (reinfected for Zelo). The vet now gave them both a de-worming medicine called ivermectin solution on the skin and no need to for a follow up medicine at home. I need advice on what to do now in terms of cleaning up and avoiding a re-infection scenrio. I am planning to do the following:

- Steam the room and clean furniture thoroughly to remove all poo
- Have the bird cage bound for 2-3 weeks or so, incase there are any eggs anywhere else in the house to lose their infectivity
- Get rid of all old toys and replace with news ones
>I am having a dilemma of over-crowding toys in the cage at the moment as I do not want them to act as egg reservoir and risk reinfection again
- More regular cleaning (full cage cleaning with hot water)
- Follow up appointment in 1 month period (after medicine application)

Have I missed out on anything, or if anything needs to be adjusted in my hygiene plan? I feel really bad for them being cage bound but I am also afraid of the risk of them pooping everywhere which might cause a reinfection later on :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry. I have little to no knowledge about worms in birds.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh good grief, I am so sorry your Lovie is going through this. Being a fair novice here (but learning), I was not aware that captive birds get worms! I found this article >> Worms in Birds - Vetafarm

this article mentions (horrors), that birds can get worms from branches brought in! < I had NO CLUE...

I hope you are able to do all of your preventive measures for reinfecting, and never have this problem again!
Scary stuff.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
What are you currently feeding them? I've been told that birds on primarily seed diets can get worms from their food, though it is uncommon. The best way to combat this is to freeze any seed (including those in treats) for 2 weeks prior to offering it to your birds.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry, I've never heard of or had this problem,,,are they like " pinworms " in the poo? Or, " roundworms "? Ivermectin is usually used for mite infection...but can be useful for internal parasites ..like worms..work closely with your vet on this, keep all poo cleaned up daily, and I mean daily, no poo left behind,,, because worm eggs can live a long time. If your birds eat or chew poo, even get poo in the food, on their feet, ect.. Then it just manifests..hope this gets under control quickly for you.

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Thank you all for the replies ... appreciate it.

Oh good grief, I am so sorry your Lovie is going through this. Being a fair novice here (but learning), I was not aware that captive birds get worms! I found this article >> Worms in Birds - Vetafarm

this article mentions (horrors), that birds can get worms from branches brought in! < I had NO CLUE...

I hope you are able to do all of your preventive measures for reinfecting, and never have this problem again!
Scary stuff.
I had no idea they can get them from branches either ... Unfortunately in my case, Zelo's mother was infected most likely and transferred it to Zelo.

What are you currently feeding them? I've been told that birds on primarily seed diets can get worms from their food, though it is uncommon. The best way to combat this is to freeze any seed (including those in treats) for 2 weeks prior to offering it to your birds.
I am feeding them variety of pellets daily and seeds occasionally. I have been having beetles problem, and been freezing their food to make sure they don't invade and multiply. They poo in their bowls (typical lovies...) and I think this must have been an added factor... I am changing their food bowl to a dispenser kind of thing to prevent that.

I'm so sorry, I've never heard of or had this problem,,,are they like " pinworms " in the poo? Or, " roundworms "? Ivermectin is usually used for mite infection...but can be useful for internal parasites ..like worms..work closely with your vet on this, keep all poo cleaned up daily, and I mean daily, no poo left behind,,, because worm eggs can live a long time. If your birds eat or chew poo, even get poo in the food, on their feet, ect.. Then it just manifests..hope this gets under control quickly for you.
The vet confirmed they are roundworms from the shape under the microscope. I have been reading the the eggs are active and can infect even after 2-3 weeks being on the surface ... and normal disinfection does not kill them! :bash:I am doing my best with daily clean up. I have also been trying to poop train them, but they are quite difficult. I do hope this will clear up in a month time honestly, they are very sad they are not getting a time out :(