• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent lovebird with dermatitis, how else can i help him ?

minxydoodles

Sitting on the front steps
hi everyone

In short my vet told me bluey my lovebird has dermatitus, i was given anti flammatory, antibiotics, antiseptic spray to dilute & painkillers to give for 10 days and contact vet on the 5th day incase he has not perked up or gotten better, sadly he hasnt so he has to go back to the vets

I have basically removed the bottom of the cage so the frame is on table stand put magazines and tissue so its softer for when he falls or wants to be on the floor, food and water on the floor and in his usual pots, put in a heat lamp (the ceramic infrared ones for reptiles) in one corner and left the other side for when he gets too hot, i put a tent in that side which he now sleeps on the outside while holding onto the cage with his beak & feet, i changed 2 of the perches to flat ones as he kept falling off the other ones, but now he isnt under the heat lamp as much as he use to be hes just between cage bars & tent practically hanging on by the edge of his beak, ignoring the flat perches (he kept siting on the round ones like a duck and falling off when he fell asleep so i thought it was better he have a flat one to lie down under the heat which he was doing practically all day untill i changed the perch, he only sat on it about 10mins if that)
he sometimes uses the other flat perch to lean on while putting most of his body weight on his tent

I wanted to know if there is anything else i can do to make him feel more comfortable & ease the pain he is feeling.
If i should be leaving the heat lamp on 24/7 it does leave a red glow im not sure if it affects his sleeping iv read it does and it doesn't, would it be better to purchase a black heat bulb instead ?
(i mean he was under it most of the time goes back and forth during the night but with new flat perch doesn't really go there anymore, so I'm not sure wether its the perch deterring him or he doesn't want to be under the heat as much.
i recently covered one side of the cage which is dark being covered by the tent which is where he mostly stays to sleep.
he is drinking and eating I'm just still worried as he has not improved and just looks very poorly :(

he is due for the vets again on wednesday

I can post any pictures if needed to help

thank you to anyone who can help me

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Oh no. I've never heard of a bird with that problem. Is it on his body or feet? If it's on his feet is that why he falls off perch or is he that weak. If his feet are sore you could wrap his perch in something to pad it,like vetwrap or that sticks to itself bandage wrap and put perches close to bottom. Of course he may be afraid of it cause it's different. I'd remove the flat perch from under his heat lamp if you think it's scaring him away from it. Maybe someone else will know more about the dermatitis. I hope he improves soon.

minxydoodles

its under his wings like the "armpit area" not sure what its called in birdy terms
he falls off the rounder perches, he sleeps like a duck then looses his balance when he falls asleep, he sleeps on the other flat perch leaning on his tent, so I'm not sure wether its the perch or he doesn't want the heat anymore, so I'm rather confused
all the perches are very near to the floor and iv put magazines covered in kitchen towel so its soft if he does fall off

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm not very familiar with skin issues (dermatitis, allergies, infections, mites), but I found this article by Dr. Margaret Wissman, who is a highly respected vet. Maybe you can glean something from it in relationship to your baby's symptoms. Any questions you get from this article, be sure to discuss with your vet.

Avian Skin Allergies

For right now, I recommend that you put your bird in a hospital cage, where he/she can get some rest and not fall. Pad the bottom of a plastic tub very well and cover three sides with a towel, be sure he has enough fresh air coming in. You can buy a ceramic heat bulb. They are absolutely safe for a bird, while some of the reptile (red) ones will burn a parrot.

Hope you baby gets better soon. It sounds like your vet is giving the correct medications.

minxydoodles

thank you will read the link now

forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a ceramic bulb heater & a reptile one, do you mean to get a black night bulb ? :facepalm:

atm I'm using a porcelain clamp lamp with a 50w reptile light (the red one) its on on side only leaving the other side free from heat but covered from the light he used the spend the entire day under the light move away when he wanted to then go back when he wanted more heat until i put his tent in now he spends more time leaning near his tent
the floor is padded with magazines and extra kitchen towel

minxydoodles

Thank you soooooo much !!!!!!
i was looking for this type of bulb that doesn't let off any light I'm going to check if it fits in the lamp holder i have & if amazon or eBay have it, i haven't seen this in any pet shops so far

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My cockatiel had a skin issue under her wings,,aka,, armpit area, she picked and screamed, the skin was red, flaky and sore..I tried vitamin E oil, A and D cream, aloe vera,,, fianally the vet diagnosed her with Giardia..mind you , she was a rescue and probably had it her whole life and had been misdiagnosed many times as a yeast, bacterial, hormonal problem. Not saying this is the problem, but a fecal exam will tell you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The bulb fits any shop light holder like the ones you can get from Walmart - Home Depot. They cost $3 - $6.

minxydoodles

hmmmm well this is definitely recent as he has never acted this way before or had this problem, I'm going back to the vets on wednesday and will ask what caused this etc and see what else my vet says, heres hoping he's on the mend :nervous:

minxydoodles

The bulb fits any shop light holder like the ones you can get from Walmart - Home Depot. They cost $3 - $6.
thanks but I'm in the uk i don't have these shops :(
and i can only find american sites which have this bulb so far, will have to ring around tomorrow and see if any stores have it

minxydoodles

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've never heard of a bird getting dermatitis. Is this an avian vet?

My suspicion leans toward Girdia also.

minxydoodles

I've never heard of a bird getting dermatitis. Is this an avian vet?

My suspicion leans toward Girdia also.
I did see an avian vet
I also looked up girdia before he was diagnosed, he doesnt have direaha or smelly poo neither vomiting,

But as im going back on wednesday il ask for her to make sure this is the correct diagnosis

Im posting some pictures of what it looks like if anyone can confirm if its girdia or dermatitus
And the current setup of cage untill i can find the other bulb that was mentioned

Attachments

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Well it certainly is a dermatitis but the question is why...dermatitis is more of a symptom than a diagnosis of the problem. It technically means skin inflammation. I'd really want some major diagnostics done. Cultures and sensitivities. Something to get answers for you and your poor birdie:(

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm also dealing with my girl who is plucking under her wings and chest (only new pin feathers). Her skin doesn't look irritated. She had CBC/panel and culture ran and diagnosed with a bacterial infection. I'm still concerned about her though so I'm bringing her to a new vet clinic next week to get some more input. I'm so sorry you have a sick baby. It is so tough!

minxydoodles

When i go back on wednesday i will defo ask how it happend and what caused it and if my other lovie is at risk if whatever he has is contagious. I should have asked these questions in the first place but i was in such shock how bad he was over such a short time without me noticing i feel awfull

Im sorry to hear about your baby its horrible having sick babies makes me feel like i failed them as a mother :(
I'm also dealing with my girl who is plucking under her wings and chest (only new pin feathers). Her skin doesn't look irritated. She had CBC/panel and culture ran and diagnosed with a bacterial infection. I'm still concerned about her though so I'm bringing her to a new vet clinic next week to get some more input. I'm so sorry you have a sick baby. It is so tough!

minxydoodles

This is by far the very best bulb to use for parrots. It gives out no light and no UVB. One gal gave her parrots a severe sunburn with a reptile light.

Avitech Infrared Heat Elements for BIRDS | 60W FREE Shipping

Hi is there any other bulb you can recommend as i can't find any supplier via google to order it now plus i can't find it on amazon or ebay (the amazon ones do not deliver to the uk)
If i buy from the website you linked it will take up to 15days to arrive and i do need it sooner than that

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I found this on the UK Amazon. Our in the US are white, but this one will do fine; MagiDeal 25/50/75/100W Black Infrared Ceramic Emitter Heat Light Bulb Lamp for Reptile Pet Brooder 220V-240V - 75W: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Also in the UK and white, but a heck of a lot more expensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/MagiDeal-I...=1504565323&sr=1-5&keywords=ceramic+heat+lamp

Also found this, but it's darned expensive. Our shop light holders in the hardware stores in the US have a ceramic screw in thing so are appropriate to use. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcadia-Ce...=1504565942&sr=8-25&keywords=shop+bulb+holder

You probably should not go any higher than a 75 watt bulb for your little guy.