• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lovebird toe necrosis progressing (Sad update #81)

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Update: We just got back from the vet and... good news! Mango got his bandage off and regained the use of one of the toes that we thought had necrotized! He still has the collar, just in case he suddenly decides that he no longer likes his foot, but so far he's being really protective of it. He had to switch into Peaches' cage because it has a grate on the bottom to help keep him from stepping in his own poop and reinfecting himself. Overall, he seems very happy and upbeat. Here are some pics of his foot, plus a bonus pic of him falling asleep in his food dish, adorably trying to get as close to me as possible for naptime yesterday. 20191021_194054.jpg 20191021_194029.jpg 20191020_134523.jpg

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great news. I hope he continues to improve.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic update! So nice to hear he is healing well!

Adorable pictures :cloud9:

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I need help ASAP! Mango has started relentlessly trying to chew on his foot in the last 45 minutes. The vet is closed and I left a message, but she isn't calling back. Should I try to bandage it myself and risk messing up the bandage? I'm terrified he'll lose his foot.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I tried rebandaging it, but he went nuts and immediately tore into the bandage, way worse than when it was unwrapped. I looked more closely at his foot and I think the bloodied toe tip was an accident. It looks like he's mostly just chewing the necrotic one, probably annoyed and trying to get rid of it... I think I'm just going to leave him unbandaged, stay up watching him tonight, call out for tomorrow, and take him back to the vet first thing when they open.
He's still on Metacam, but a reduced dose because he developed polyurea from the normal dose.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The vet just called back and said it sounds like he's just trying to get rid of the dead tissue, which is expected and safe. She told me to keep him up later tonight and if he stays away from the good toes and his leg, then not to worry about it and go to work as usual tomorrow.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I got home this afternoon to find Mango chewed 2 of his toes down to stumps, including the one we thought was saved. He has been rebandaged, got a new collar, and had the tip of his beak blunted. There are bone fragments sticking out that will need to be surgically removed at the joint in another week or so. I'm sad, but relieved that he will still have a toe on the front and another on the back to grip perches later.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How tragic :( I´m so sorry! Poor little guy.

I hope the new collar keeps him off the rest of his foot :(

Sending you a great big hug :hug2:❤❤❤❤❤

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww poor little guy. So sorry.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She tried to make a small, lightweight bandage, but he immediately started ripping at it, so she bulked it up with extra layers, 2 of which he removed before we even got home. I put more loosely-fitted vet wrap over what's left to hopefully slow him down, but he can still reach his entire foot with the longest collar she could put on him. I'm so worried he'll chew through it all while I'm at work.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no! He was healing so well too. I hope he doesn’t do more damage before the surgery. A week seems like a long time.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz has trimmed her macaws beaks in a manner that prevents them from chewing on themselves. I can't remember what it's called, but the bottom beak is trimmed with a large "U" shaped hole in it, so the top and bottom beaks can't meet.

I'm so sorry that your baby is being such a PITA.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh! Mango. You rascal.

If only we could explain to them why they shouldn’t chew at it. But you really can’t blame him, right?

Prayers up that Mango will heal well with no further incidents!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz has trimmed her macaws beaks in a manner that prevents them from chewing on themselves. I can't remember what it's called, but the bottom beak is trimmed with a large "U" shaped hole in it, so the top and bottom beaks can't meet.

I'm so sorry that your baby is being such a PITA.

Yes, would need to be done by the vet.

How about a large E collar. Saf-T Shield Bird E-Collar at BirdSupplies.com You could make one yourself from a plastic lid and tape it closed.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The vet wrap I put on is working so far. 2 hours in and he has yet to make a single tear.

If I end up needing to make a long E collar, should I put it over his current collar or take that one off?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can we see what the collar looks like now?

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
20191021_194026.jpg

She put the same style as before on, just maybe 2mm longer. Here's a picture of the old one. He's asleep now or I'd take a new picture.