• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

LOVEBIRD = MEANY

Mskarenlynn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
Murphy is my lovebird. She is one year old. I rescued her about a year ago. She is SO FREAKING MEAN. When I got her she still had the mask on her face. She was dropped off along with her mom and dad and siblings at a shelter.

I've followed every tip I've been given but all she wants to do is bite me. I get she is cage territorial. I'm totally fine with that. When she is outside her cage, she is just as evil. I'm at a loss. She doesn't just bite, she latches on. I try not to react but when she is hanging from my finger, it's hard not to.

Would she be happier with another lovebird? Does she need to mate to make her happy? I'm telling you, there is evil and then there is Murphy. She has a ton of toys. She has toys when she is out of her cage. She is nice while sitting on my shoulder, but I'm scared to death she is going to bite my face. She did that once. Got my lip and wouldn't let go. Nothing like having a lovebird latched on to your lip. I couldn't pull her off for fear she would take my lip with her. I was bloody, she was bloody.

Help me, please!!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If she's a year old she could just be going through hormones. Has she always been so aggressive or is it more recent?

If she is biting your face, don't give her shoulder time. I know it's easier said than done. Failing hormones, is it possible she's upset at something by her surroundings?

Mskarenlynn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
It seems like she didn't start being mean until after she lost the mask on her face. She was just fine inside and outside her cage. I have to tell you, I'm scared to death of that little thing! I try not to let her know it. She seems okay by her surroundings. She's in the family room where we spend most of our time. She "sounds" so sweet. She says a few words, mimics sounds I make to her, she even tries to mimic my laugh (gave me a complex). Overall, she seems happy.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You poor dear, it sounds a little like my Snerky when she's in a bad mood. The hormones of lovie hens can be rough on their humans, especially when they're younger. There's definitely a spectrum, and it sounds like your little Murphy is on the more aggressive end.

Mskarenlynn

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
I love your "What does no mean"!! I read on one website that I should put Murphy in a towel and hold her to my chest. That she would eventually calm down and trust me. Seems like it may freak her out. Have you heard of that?

I have extreme opposite birds. My Parrotlet Louie who is the sweetest little thing and then there is Murphy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't suggest toweling her. I think you just have a hormonal lovie on your hands. And I've had a lovebird hang off my finger as blood dripped down so I sympathize with you. I think for now the best thing to do is try to avoid the bites. I know that sounds silly but I learned with my foster lovie that she got more bitey towards bedtime. So I made sure I changed all food and water dishes before she got tired, etc. I would try to redirect her with toys, etc. Also how many hours of sleep does she get a night?

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I think what others have said is probably right..........for such a sudden change in behavior, and when you describe her as "So freaking mean" I have to believe that she is going through her first hormonal phase. Tis the season!
If she were human and 13 years old...........you would just have experienced the bird version of running to the bedroom all the while screaming "I hate you I hate you I hate you........SLAM! (but she really doesn't hate you.........it's her hormones screaming) LOL.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love your "What does no mean"!! I read on one website that I should put Murphy in a towel and hold her to my chest. That she would eventually calm down and trust me. Seems like it may freak her out. Have you heard of that?

I have extreme opposite birds. My Parrotlet Louie who is the sweetest little thing and then there is Murphy.
I wouldn't do the towel technique, no. I agree with the comment about trying to avoid any times she seems more aggressive. With Snerky, mornings are a definite NO. She is a nighttime love only bird. Even then, she's sometimes crotchety and will pinch or bite. Try to observe and learn what seems to make her more aggressive or provoke her. You may very well have to wait her out. (Boo was very aggressive during her earlier reproductive years and has finally mellowed out.)

I'm glad you like the sig! Twinkie is a real character. ;)