• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird.. Lovedog?

sjalfsmord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zeynep
Hey everyone, I hope it's the right place to post this.

It's been nearly three and half months since I bought my lil watermelon lovebird (he's nearly 7 months old) but..he seems to act different than other lovebirds I see on social media.
He's scared of my fingers, but he doesn't just fly away, he stays the same place but backs away a little etc. First of all he loves my feet. I mean, I've never seen this anywhere else, he literally loves my toes, my feet, everything about my feet. He stands on my shoulders when I'm walking, talking, doing something, when I stop or stay in the same place, and if he sees my feet at that time, he flies away and starts to bite my toes and lick em its super weird lol
And the other thing is, he bites and chews off everything he can find, papers, my pencils, stickers on the walls, and I gave him a little pinch of bread, and he starts like, he bites, he takes out a smaller piece and he doesn't eat that and he just throws that piece to somewhere else and this continues until that big piece scatteres everywhere.
My friends told me that I should try to tame him with treats, such as millets etc but, I don't know what to do about it. He gets super active and agressive when he does these things.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He sounds exactly like a normal lovebird to me. Careful of what he chews, things like pencils that have paint on them can be toxic. Try and distract him with shreddable toys like balsa or Chinese finger traps, etc. If you don't want him on your feet, move him somewhere else with a perch. Does he have any sort of play gym outside of his cage? Might be a useful spot to move him too when you need to relocate him.

Training is a matter of patience and consistency. Will he take food from your hand at all? Offering treats is a good method for getting him used to you.

sjalfsmord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zeynep
Oh actually, these advices are really great, thanks for that. Those toys didn't come up to my mind. He eats from my hand, sits on my palm but he gets kinda nervous around my fingers. I play with him nearly all day, he has some toys but now I think I have to buy more.
I never picked him up with a perch, he loves sitting on my arm, so I can pick him up with my arm/fingers-closed palm. My friend told me that his lovebird is nothing like Melon, I said "Every bird is different," but some time passed and I was getting concerned if I was doing something wrong.

And I've heard that mirrors effect lovebirds in a bad way? So I didn't buy any toys with mirrors. Is that true?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Mirrors are generally not a good idea, particularly if your bird doesn't have another birdy friend. It can cause mental issues with them.

Lovebirds can devour toys. They really do love ones they can shred. I usually like to keep a spare food bowl in each cage full of chunks of balsa, corks, etc., and it normally needs replenishing every day. You can just get thin planks of balsa from a hardware store (untreated) and cut it into bits to save money.

It's good he sits on your hand! He'll warm up to you eventually. Keep offering him treats etc. and he'll get used to them the more he associates them with good things. :)