• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lovebird issues

Roseicollis

Meeting neighbors
Initially I had only one lovebird. And I regret it, because I feel that I am unable to spend enough time with him/her (will refer to my bird as female even though I’m uncertain of gender.) I am at home for a large majority of the day, but the lovebird cannot interact with me while I am working (because she gets possessive and biter whenever pens/pencils/keyboards/etc. are present.) I acquired a lovebird knowing how nippy they can be, but I guess I was unprepared. I can’t say that she is very well-liked by my family or even myself.

She constantly flies onto our heads (and I am always her last choice) and enjoys biting ears. My family members don’t enjoy this, and they would scream and make a big fuss (thereby reinforcing the behavior in my opinion.) Some would even swat at the bird, only for her to go flying back more eager to bite than ever. I try to spend time with her, and bought her a ton of toys to chew and shred. I try to watch and observe her body language but I’m obviously not very good at it because my fingers are constantly attacked. For example, when I change out her water she likes to tag along on the bowl and latch onto my thumb or attempt to peel off a nail. It’s painful (I can’t imagine how people with larger parrots endure worse bites) and I admit I often get frustrated so she goes back into her cage while I cool down.

Recently, I decided that I would get her a lovebird buddy. I was unable to quarantine (due to lack of space) which I know is not ideal and thus their cages are in the same room. This new lovebird seems to be a male, and their temperaments are worlds apart. He is both terrified and intrigued by her. I’m pretty sure they won’t get along, and I admit that I am considerably fonder of the male lovebird (who has yet to bite me in the whole month since I’ve gotten him.)

Is it recommended that I get a third lovebird to be housed with the second one (before he too becomes territorial and aggressive)? I really regret getting a single lovebird the first time around, as my views have changed and I cannot provide the constant companionship another bird can.

Any and all replies are greatly appreciated.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Are you able to change your approach to changing her dishes out? For instance, I will open up Sherbie's cage and set her new food on the table. She will come out and start eating. While she's preoccupied, I can change out her water. When I'm ready to put the food in the cage, I direct her over to a snack dish on a separate table behind me. She usually goes over there and I have a moment to put her food in its place. Grab a perch or tap the cage and she zips off to eat inside her cage.

Don't allow her near your face, neck, shoulder, or head. If she can't behave herself, don't allow her the opportunity to get there. If you have to, put something on your head to make it undesirable. Perhaps a hat?

Do you have a travel cage? If you're home and busy (such as doing homework or balancing your checkbook) you can put her in there with things she likes (or even snacks) and make it a special event where you talk to her. Have the travel cage next to you and praise her.

Even if both birds can't physically be friends, they speak the same "language". A month is nothing; It can take a long time for them to get used to and warm up to each other even verbally.

I don't think I'd get a third bird. Work with the two that you have.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @Peachfaced - and want to emphasize definitely no third bird. Especially when you already feel that you’re in over your head and don’t have control over your environment or any space for quarantine. Please make sure to protect your more aggressive lovebird from your family members. :(

Snerky is my most aggressive lovebird and has done the behaviors you mention to a friend who came to visit for a while (landing on the head persistently, biting ears and fingers), and also has had times in the past when I had to put her in a carrier to work on her cage because she wanted to be a little vampire.

While the friend was there, I just had to hold her in the bedroom so she didn’t have the opportunity to attack my friend. She was very displeased that my friend was even in the house, so she’d bite me as well even while begging to come out. I still told her no when she would bite and did my best to avoid it, but I couldn’t keep her locked up for a week! So I dealt with it and tried to block her.

It may take you a while to establish a good relationship with your most aggressive lovebird, or negotiate a peace, but I think it’s possible. It just takes time, patience, and persistence.