• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird harness?

Georgiesmum

Walking the driveway
anyone know if you can get a harness to fit a lovebird?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
The are too tiny. I have never found one.

Ginger

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I've seen suggestions for plets to get a flight suit that a lead could attach to? The same principle may hold true for a lovie?

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
They do have flight suits small enough for the lovies.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
A few months ago I wrote Steve Hartman with a concern I had about the petite Aviator Flight Harness - I found the elastic that's meant to soften any mid-flight halts to be too strong, as Rahky had taken off unexpectedly and ended up being flung backward when she reached the end of her line. When they wrote back, they detailed some changes they had made since I'd gotten my model years ago. They also mentioned they had smaller birds on the harness, which I thought was interesting. Maybe they're working on a size for smaller birds? I hope so, because I've been wanting to try a harness for Anica for a long while.

The excerpt from the email:
"We do have lots of small birds like cockatiels and now parakeets and parrolets using The Aviator and flying with retractable leashes. I think most of these are birds that start using the harness before they learn to fly so it is natural for them."

dandalyon

Moving in
Check out Leathers4Feathers on ebay. She makes lovebird sized harness and they're super cute.

Good luck getting it on your lovebird though, lol. My guys want nothing to do with it!

Georgiesmum

Walking the driveway
Thank you everyone its for a friend of mine, I will pass the info on to her :hug8:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I've read that the very smallest of the Aviator Harnesses can be used on lovebirds. The only difference is that when you put it on them, you have to make sure the belly part goes behind their legs, not in front like normal. I read this right on the Parrot University website. If you got to the website and look on the right hand side at the pictures, the 9th picture down shows a lovebird laying on its back with the harness on. It shows how the harness should be worn on small birds like lovies and parrotlets. I would totally trust it this way. :)

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Check out Leathers4Feathers on ebay. She makes lovebird sized harness and they're super cute.

Good luck getting it on your lovebird though, lol. My guys want nothing to do with it!
I would think leather would be way too heavy, but maybe they use very very thin pieces?!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I've read that the very smallest of the Aviator Harnesses can be used on lovebirds. The only difference is that when you put it on them, you have to make sure the belly part goes behind their legs, not in front like normal. I read this right on the Parrot University website. If you got to the website and look on the right hand side at the pictures, the 9th picture down shows a lovebird laying on its back with the harness on. It shows how the harness should be worn on small birds like lovies and parrotlets. I would totally trust it this way. :)
:dance5:I'm totally going to try that on Ani. And I just happen to have an extra petite Aviator around. :D

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
I bought a feather-tether (similar to an aviator harness) for Jack Jack years ago. It went on alright but it was way too heavy. He rolled over onto his back and that was where he stayed.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
I would think leather would be way too heavy, but maybe they use very very thin pieces?!
Yes, the leather is VERY thin and lightweight. I got a lovebird harness from Leathers4Feathers. It didn't work out for Mika, though, as things are glued together with a glue gun and he was chewing at it. Also, no matter how well I tried, he kept getting feathers/down caught in the velcro and it wasn't fun getting the harness off. The seller, Mary, has EXCELLENT customer service though, and she worked with me and sent me a redesigned harness - but that one didn't work also because the velcro was so thin that it barely held together. There's someone else on another forum that got lovebird-sized ones and I think it's working well for her bird, though.

After that, we were in talks of her making a leather version of the harness prototype I had made out of ribbon. The harness itself fit very well on Mika, but he chewed it to no end because it was just light fabric ribbon. I think if my design was made with leather, it'd work out really well. I haven't contacted her in a while, though, because I was going through all the health issues with Mika.

I was thinking of trying the little flight suit for him, but I heard the fabric isn't really breathable and I wouldn't want him overheating in it...

Clarissa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Clarissa
I have two. A flight suit and a harness that both fit my smallest Lovebird, Valentine. The harness is adjustable, so it fits Haku as well, even though he's a tad bit bigger. Neither of them are very fond of the contraptions, but I can get them on them... I don't work with the harnesses on my guys enough for them to get use to it as I don't take them outside very often. I take Valentine for walks occasionally, and he usually chews the suit continuously for a few minutes until he realizes that there's so much more going on around him... If you do manage to get one (I haven't seen them in stores, only online, but I got my two from Jally) I can tell you it will take A LOOOT of training, and very continuous training to get them and keep them use to it.

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I want to crochet a harness for my Pogo.Can anyone please share the dimention and photos if possible...
I wouldnt want flight suit..but very light yet sturdy harness.....i m ready for loads of trial and errors