• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Gets Upset When I Nap

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I recently aquired a neglected lovebird from my grandmother. She's adjusting well to her new home and I have no issues with her behaviour but this is just a weird thing she does and I'm just curious as to why she does it

She lives in my room, I keep my computer and bed in there so I can spend as much time with her as possible. Before I got her I used to nap during the day because I was usually up at night (I've switched over to day shifts for her so now we both sleep at night) but if I try to lay down to nap she screams. Today I had a thought and I experimented by laying down, facing her but having my eyes open, I noticed she only squawks when my eyes are closed or I'm facing away. My thought is, many years ago she had a mate who was older than her and he died, could she be worried I'm dead when I lay down and close my eyes? (Note that she doesn't do this at night when the lights are off)

Not really an issue but I'm just curious as to why she does this

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ugh, I feel for you cause my bird does that too. He recently started letting me nap but it took about 6 months. I'm sorry I don't really have an answer as to why but wanted to let you know you're not alone. I hope your bird stops at some point.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol, Twinkie does this and he has never had anyone die on his watch. He'll yell if I dare to sleep in his presence (if he's awake). If he wakes and sees me asleep, he yells. :p I chalk it up to lovie entitlement and wanting wakefulness and possible full attention if his person is there.

I suppose it's possible that your bird is concerned. With mine, I doubt it!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
It's awesome that you adopted her, by the way.
All animals deserve a loving home with the best care possible, I couldn't bare to see her stay in the tiny cage she was kept in after I found out she was feather plucking. My grandmother thinks she's just molting but her chest and neck are bare and I've seen her do it, she's doing it a lot less since she moved into her new cage and now has lot of room to play and things to do

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They're fierce protectors of their flock, haha. I usually try to time my naps with the birds' nap times to avoid confusion. Mine like to nap / rest quietly in their cage about twice a day for an hour or so.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you move her to a room where most of the activity is? That will provide more stimulation.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Can you move her to a room where most of the activity is? That will provide more stimulation.
I spend most of my time in my room now so I can be around her as much as possible, tbh there's not much action around the house other than me.

It's not really an issue, I shouldn't be sleeping during the day anyway lol. I was just curious as to why she does that

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Gracie does the same thing. She hates it when me or the hubby take a nap and screams at us till we wake up lol. My poor husband yells at me because Gracie is yelling at him for sleeping in his chair lol.

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Birds are very social. Even though she is not hand tamed she enjoys your company. Between reading this thread and your other thread, it sounds like you two have a bond and that she is very happy to be living with you now.

She is screaming because your attention is directed away from her, and she wants you all to herself. My birds do the same thing when I try to nap or take a phone call. She does not scream when you sleep at night because it's dark- she knows better than to make noise then and attract predators. If you want to nap during the day, try making your room dark; that will send her a sign that it's time to rest and be quiet.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Birds are very social. Even though she is not hand tamed she enjoys your company. Between reading this thread and your other thread, it sounds like you two have a bond and that she is very happy to be living with you now.

She is screaming because your attention is directed away from her, and she wants you all to herself. My birds do the same thing when I try to nap or take a phone call. She does not scream when you sleep at night because it's dark- she knows better than to make noise then and attract predators. If you want to nap during the day, try making your room dark; that will send her a sign that it's time to rest and be quiet.
She does scream for me when I leave the room, I know she's just calling to find out if I'm still around so I answer her. My mum thinks I've just spoiled her but I've told her that's normal, dunno if she believes me lol

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
That's called contact calling. She considers you to be part of the flock. :) I think she deserves a little bit of spoiling now, don't you?

Your story reminds me of how I got started living with birds 15 years ago. My grandmother used to have 3 budgie parakeets in a tiny cage that she kept for her grandchildren. She meant well, but was ignorant about how to keep birds properly and relied on updated information from the 1970s. Over the years two died and she remained with one. She went out of town for a couple of weeks and asked me to care for him. I became pretty attached and just never gave him back, with her approval. I think this means that you too will always be a bird person now!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
That's called contact calling. She considers you to be part of the flock. :) I think she deserves a little bit of spoiling now, don't you?

Your story reminds me of how I got started living with birds 15 years ago. My grandmother used to have 3 budgie parakeets in a tiny cage that she kept for her grandchildren. She meant well, but was ignorant about how to keep birds properly and relied on updated information from the 1970s. Over the years two died and she remained with one. She went out of town for a couple of weeks and asked me to care for him. I became pretty attached and just never gave him back, with her approval. I think this means that you too will always be a bird person now!
That's about the same situatuon as my Grandmother, she had Kamara for years until one day she decided she wanted another bird without considering she didn't have enough room and she bought a green cheek conure and Kamara was banished to a tiny cage because she nipped at the other birds (as lovebirds do) and she was never allowed out of it. Her conure is ok, he actually gets to come out of the cage and play and have human contact.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I Am so glad you adopted her.
So looking forward to see her getting healthy with your care!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
When you go to nap do you tell her "nite nite" or something like that?
When I got Quack, she would screech when I put her back in the cage. She didn't like being alone in her room. I would tell her it's nap time and that I would have to close her door if she wasn't quiet. Then I would close it. After a few times she learned and didn't want the door closed so we negotiated a couple of hours of quiet time. She stopped screeching altogether when Darwin came and she wasn't alone.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
When you go to nap do you tell her "nite nite" or something like that?
When I got Quack, she would screech when I put her back in the cage. She didn't like being alone in her room. I would tell her it's nap time and that I would have to close her door if she wasn't quiet. Then I would close it. After a few times she learned and didn't want the door closed so we negotiated a couple of hours of quiet time. She stopped screeching altogether when Darwin came and she wasn't alone.
Naw, my naps are fairly impromptu so I just sort of lay down, although I have figured out her nap time appears to be around 2pm so I'll see if I can save naps till then