• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird feeding........

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Just wondering how others leave food out for their Lovebirds. I have been putting their food (two kinds of pellets and mixed seed) out first thing in the morning for about 3-4 hours. Then I pull it and clean cage. Next I place some greens out for another two to three hours and then pick that up. Then I put seed and pellets out around 5:30 until bedtime and then I pull that until breakfast. Can I leave pellets and seeds out 24/7? Will they eat too much and become overweight? I don't mind my routine right now, but sometimes I feel guilty that they are in their cage with no food (in between meals). Just curious how other's do it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I always let my birds have access to food 24/7. (A cockatiel, a foster lovie, and now a goffin.) I give access to pellets/seeds all day and then take the fresh food out after a couple of hours. It's pretty rare for smaller birds like lovebirds, cockatiels, etc. to overeat. They're not like dogs who often eat as long as they have food. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Thanks Michelle...........I will do that, I'll leave them pellets and seed and then pull the really perishable stuff after a couple hours.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
If you are really worried about it, make them work for their food. My lovebirds would really rather try to get the food - especially seeds - that are harder to get to! One of their favorite foraging adventures is for me to roll seed in a napkin. I just buy the cute little napkins for parties and holidays. I usually use a half of the napkin and roll it up with seeds inside. To make it more challenging, I usually put a little zip tie around it so it doesn't just unroll. They love it!! They have to tear the napkin up to get the seeds inside. I also hide seeds in different parts of their toys so they have to find them. This way they have to move around and work for their food. And, it gives them something to do.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
That's a great idea...........I will try that and think up some other ways to have them "work" for their food. I do have a clear plexiglass foraging toy with different shape holes for filling with stuff, just haven't started using it yet. Thanks DeAnna.

ergunm

Meeting neighbors
as others said I don't think lovebirds overeat, so I also keep food available all the time. but they are picky on what they eat. if they like one of the available food better, they only eat that one. one of my lovebird really likes seeds, so if I leave even a small amount of seeds in the cage he spends all his time to eat seeds until nothing left to eat and does not touch his pellets. because of that I only leave pellets in the cage and give seeds as treats or for foraging.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I let mine have access 24/7 as well. They have a big tray in the centre of the aviary. Still they often prefer to forage under the caique cages, Stolen food tastes better

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Leave pellets/seeds in the cage 24/7. No need to remove it. Only remove fruits and vegetables that stay uneaten. And not necesarilly after 2-3 hours. You can remove them in the afternoon if you give them in the morning.
Most important remove any uneaten hard boiled egg within 2-3 hours because eggs turn very bad very easily , especially in summer!

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
as others said I don't think lovebirds overeat, so I also keep food available all the time. but they are picky on what they eat. if they like one of the available food better, they only eat that one. one of my lovebird really likes seeds, so if I leave even a small amount of seeds in the cage he spends all his time to eat seeds until nothing left to eat and does not touch his pellets. because of that I only leave pellets in the cage and give seeds as treats or for foraging.
Same. That is why I invented creative ways for Luna to get her seeds. I can't free feed them to her, because she won't eat anything else. LOL!! She is also picky about WHAT seeds she eats and refuses to some of them. Challenges that we face! Keeps our jobs interesting and on our toes for our birdies.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Mine have food 24/7 but Gracie must have her food with me in her special dish every day no matter what.