• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird feather plucking dilemma

mariambn

Moving in
Real Name
mariam
Hello,

So I am writing here to see if anyone has any advise on this topic. My lovebird faced the issue of oil gland being blocked twice (the gland on his tail) once was in 2015, got treated and he was fine until it happened again in 2020.

with first time he plucked his tail and back feather until the gland started working again then he let the feathers grow back with no issue.

with the 2nd time, he managed to pluck his tail and feather within few hours, though the vet unblocked the gland, he kept picking on the tail feather, only the new feathers that come out. It’s been 3 years now and he still doesn’t allow the new feathers to grow picking on them halfway, out of like 10 new feathers he only allow one to grow.

so I don’t know what to do anymore, we have given vitamins, nutrition food, toys.. collar I can’t place it on him, he freaks out like fainting freaking. And I am almost all the time with him and I have to keep an eye whenever he breaks a blood feather to stop the bleeding, I had several visits to the vet emergency for that.

anyone has any input on this is greatly appreciated.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The problem is also once it has gone on for so long it becomes habbit :(

You should look at putting the collar on, let the feathers grow back in and then see how he gets on, he might pull them all out, or he may not. You can try using foraging to keep him mind a little occupied but I am not sure it will help.
Use a soft collar, not those hard plastic elizabethan ones.

mariambn

Moving in
Real Name
mariam

You should look at putting the collar on, let the feathers grow back in and then see how he gets on, he might pull them all out, or he may not. You can try using foraging to keep him mind a little occupied but I am not sure it will help.
the vet made like a collar from soft sponge but my bird couldn’t move so I took it off, I also tried to make one out of soft fabric, also didn’t work because it loose. Do you know anyone who sells that is perfect fit for a lovebird?

mariambn

Moving in
Real Name
mariam
I

I found this on Etsy all collars are similar to this and it states it doesn’t stop the bird from reaching the tail area which is my issue