• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Breeders

BS0816

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I’m looking for lovebird breeders (preferably in Georgia as I would rather not have the bird shipped) that hand raise their babies. Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Please don't buy adopt or rescue from reputable rescue.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but is there any particularly reason why you are looking to buy a bird? I've never bought a hand-raised baby bird from a breeder before, but I've heard quite a bit from others (especially people from this forum) that hand-raised birds become too attached and dependent on their owners, often not knowing that they are birds. While it is good to have a bond with your bird, it is also important that they know how to be independent. Hopefully someone else will come along and be able to explain this better.

Ever since I found out that there are so many birds in rescues and shelters, I've always been one of those to really support adoption. There are many, many birds out there in shelters waiting for somebody to come along and give them a second chance, having been surrendered by no fault of their own.

Elizabeth8577

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elizabeth Rodgers
I rescue and I breed. I agree that everyone wanting a bird should definitely research getting a rescue. But a lot of people want a bird that dosen't take a ton of work to gain trust or have that special bond. In my opinion the work makes the bond so much better but not everybody has that same opinion. I have rescues that were given up for this very reason. I also agree that if bird is not well socialized with birds and humans they can be very dependent leading to problems later on in life. This is something a good breeder knows and works hard to achieve.

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
I don’t know of any reputable breeders in your area but would recommend you ask any lovebird breeders if they regularly/randomly test their birds for disease or quarantine any new birds that thy add to their flock. If you choose to go the rescue route make sure you do your homework on the rescue. My experience with bird rescues in my area is most of them claim to be a rescue and in reality are bird flippers.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don’t know of any reputable breeders in your area but would recommend you ask any lovebird breeders if they regularly/randomly test their birds for disease or quarantine any new birds that thy add to their flock. If you choose to go the rescue route make sure you do your homework on the rescue. My experience with bird rescues in my area is most of them claim to be a rescue and in reality are bird flippers.
Can I just add that an avian vet is a great place to adopt a rescue bird. Many good vets have a few birds on their books, are grateful for the support of Foster parents/adopters, and you can be sure the bird you get will actually be healthy. It's too easy to keep a sick bird's cage clean and tidy.