• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird bites

Flashrock

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ni
Hi I'm new to this website and it's kind of confusing so if this is the a wrong thread can anyone point me to the right one? I'm wondering if you guys can help me solve my lovebird problem. Iv had two lovebirds for 3 years and they have a real problem with touching.whenever they come out we use gloves to stop them from biting our hands but we can never touch them.theyll jump onto our hands when we put it near them but that's it.when I put my finger near they're cage they bite at it like it's a game I think. But they're extremely social. Every time I come to the cage they come to they're perch and say hi and talk to me when I talk to them.they seem perfectly fine with me but won't let me touch them. Sorry for the long paragraph but yea can anyone help?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. A lot of birds are cage territorial and don't want hands in their cages. The best thing to usually do is to respect their wishes and minimize hands in cage. Do you hand feed them treats? That's a good way to start getting them to realize that hands can be good things. Also, some birds just don't like to be petted.....

@fluffypoptarts ? @Happynme ?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovies can indeed be quite territorial about their cages (and their people). Do you know genders or background of the birds?

Do they still bite when jumping on your hand of their own volition and you not attempting to touch or push getting on the hand? It could just be that they're hand-shy and don't welcome any touching. Treats and not grabbing or forcing touch is a good way to gain some hand-trust. Letting them come to you. I've made a lot of progress that way with my hand-shy birds (not trying to touch and letting them choose).

Flashrock

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ni
Welcome to the forum. A lot of birds are cage territorial and don't want hands in their cages. The best thing to usually do is to respect their wishes and minimize hands in cage. Do you hand feed them treats? That's a good way to start getting them to realize that hands can be good things. Also, some birds just don't like to be petted.....

@fluffypoptarts ? @Happynme ?
Yea we hand feed them peppers when they're in the cage and outside and they only bite sometimes mainly "Eagle" he's always had his guard up since he came and protects the other bird

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm... This mostly sounds like a case of trying to avoid provocation to them plus earning more of their trust (especially with regard to hands).