• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Love hurts

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
We adopted BH 7 years ago and the women we adopted him from said he was 3, so in June in he will 11. Since then we have adopted 3 additional conures and for the most part, in peace.

BH has had squabbles with Bubble but after a few days they are inseparable again. Our newest, Quackers is less then a year old and BH loves him but this morning we heard screaming from the bird room and BH was attacking Quackers so badly it required a vet visit, Quackers was bleeding from both eyes and neck.

We didn't even need to step in as when my partner yelled at BH to stop he just dropped to the floor and ran under a recliner and was making a crying noise.

We wanted to take both to the vet but BH would not come out and just cried all day. Quackers was patched up and when we got home immediately responded to his best friend still crying under the chair.

After two hours BH came to visit Quackers by the cage and after about 10 minutes of cooing at each other, BH charged the cage and was screeching and then just suddenly stopped looking dazed and ran in my partners shirt and just lay flat crying.

We have BH scheduled for the AV Tuesday but my partner, a 350 pound samoan who did three tours in Iraq and who I have never seen cry in 27 years called me a work crying that BH and Quakers who have been snuggle sleep buddies for almost a year were calling non stop to each other and crying for almost 5 hours.

Even after two attacks Quackers wants his snuggle buddy and I honestly think BH does not know why he attacked his buddy. I hope we find out more Tuesday but as sad as it makes us, they have to be separated.

Just venting.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Poor little guys, I hope Quackers recovers nicely and that the vet has some helpful advice regarding BH :bighug:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am so sorry - so hard to see an one that is physically injured and sometimes even harder to watch them crying for each other. Maybe that time of year with "raging hormones"?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh no! How upsetting for everyone. :sadhug2:

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bad news, hard to type. X-Ray found a mass, possible tumor in BH brain. Might be cause of behaviour.

Referral to surgical AV in diamond head for friday. I just can't deal, I love him so much.
My AV said to be prepared as mass was large and surgery or biopsy could be risky, possible they could recommend putting him down.

Sorry if I don't respond, don't know how to deal with this.

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Im so sorry to hear this! I am sure you and your partner are absolutely devastated by the news. I still hope, though, that you will get better news from the AV on Friday. In the meantime, sending lots of love to BH and your flock.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor BH, it must be scary for him too not being able to help it. At least he really does still love Quackers and doesn't mean to hurt him. :sadhug2:I'm glad you took him to the vet. No matter the odds are you're giving him a chance because you didn't just chalk it up to hormones.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear this! I hope you get more hopeful news on Friday. I’m sending thoughts and prayers your way.
:sadhug2:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am so sorry that You and your partner are going through this.
Prayers for BH that the vet can help him.
Also for a speedy recovery for Quackers.
:bighug:

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Sorry you are going through this. But as we all know we sometimes have fights with our best friend. We generally always make up after a bit of time away. Give it some time and slowly let them near each other in separate cages then eventually uncaged with close supervision and weight to see how it goes. Good luck and keep us posted.
best-friends-fight-with-each-other-every-now-and-then-4400492.png 4ce55dabe35ee1db394c105487c0e55c.jpg c8fa2de2da19247972a4e29d15a6d64e.jpg

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry for the lack of Quackers update, the AV also checked him again and he is fine but continues to cry for his best friend and really doesn't understand the separation.

It was heartbreaking at the vet as BH immediately charged his pak after waking from his x-ray and though the mesh protected him and BH would have hurt him,
He still pressed against the mesh for cuddles and did his baby talk to BH while BH screamed.

I honestly don't think BH knows who Quackers is, this pic was 70 percent of their days together, joined at th e hip. 20171013_183829.jpg

BH knew he was a baby and protected him. I think BH would kill him given the chance and Quakers would go willingly.

Last edited:

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
One last post, when whe adopted BH the girls boyfriend would punch him for making noise and even broke his wing from a punch and throw to the wall yet BH would still go to him willingly with all the abuse.

I really underestimated the love parrots can have no matter how badly you treat them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am so sorry. This whole situation is terrible, the tumor, the former abuse, the crying, the attacking... oh my.

:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, poor BH, I had no idea. Poor Quakers too. I’m so sorry all of you are going through this.:sadhug2:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’m so so sorry to hear this. I went through something similar with my dog a few years ago. He started charging me and my family randomly and he'd only stop when I jumped over a gate and talked to him. Then he’d shake his head and his eyes would clear and he’d be a happy boy again like he couldn’t figure out why he was charging the family he loved for years. It was a tumor for him and I feel your pain.
I am sending many good vibes to you and yours. :hug5:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to read about BH. Hope that things will work out and that something can be done to help him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow that's so hard for everyone involved!! :hug8:

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My AV sent BH's x-ray to AV in diamond head yesterday afternoon and they asked us to bring him in this morning. He said they could biopsy to see if it was cancer but regardless, the size of mass plus his age and size he would most likely not survive surgery.

I'm not going to do the "what should I do thing" as I know the awnser to the question.

My partner has rented a beach house on a military base through Friday as it's still off season and relatively cheap. We picked up korean pears, sunflower seeds and mango and he will spend the 3 days on our shoulders pigging out and Saturday say our goodbye.

Please don't criticize us for moving so fast, the doctor said he is probably in incredible pain and was suprised we haven't seen the behavior change sooner but said parrots are adept at hiding illness.

I am so glad I orderd balsa from BBT during the sidewalk sale as that was his all-time favorite and he can nibble to his hearts content and will perch on his favourite mini stand that Sandra k sent to us about 5 years ago as our SS he will not let anyone but Quackers on.

Thank you all for your support.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how hard this must all be for you. I’m crying here reading about how wonderful his last days will be. It sounds like he will enjoy every minute. I’ll be thinking of you guys.
:sadhug2:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My partner has rented a beach house on a military base through Friday as it's still off season and relatively cheap. We picked up korean pears, sunflower seeds and mango and he will spend the 3 days on our shoulders pigging out and Saturday say our goodbye.
I am so glad I orderd balsa from BBT during the sidewalk sale as that was his all-time favorite and he can nibble to his hearts content and will perch on his favourite mini stand
I think that is a beautiful plan to celebrate him. :smileflower: Maybe you can use his balsa mulch in a flower pot or bed at home. If how suddenly this has escalated is any indication of how quickly the mass may be growing, you are absolutely making the most compassionate decision by moving quickly if the vet doesn't think he will survive the surgery. :sadhug: You can at least take some solace in knowing he will no longer be hurting or afraid and that he will know nothing but love since he's been with you.

Last edited: