• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lots of Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Ready to be bombarded with my list of questions?! Ready or not, here they come! :D

1. Can a bird be around campfires/bonfires? Fireplaces?

2. Should I feed birdie mash warmed up or will that trigger hormonal behaviors?

3. What is the best way to serve veggies?

4. How long can veggies last if I chop them up in bulk and freeze them?

5. Should pellets be in cage 24/7? If not, how much should I give, and how often?

6. What would you say is the best feeding schedule? (I was thinking breakfast of fresh veggies/fruits, lunch of a few nuts and pellets, and dinner a mash/birdie bread... This sound alright?)

7a) What should I do if he bites? (I've heard everything from push back into them to pull away, grab their beak, and say 'No!' I've gotten so many mixed answers on this one.)
7b) Should I do the same thing if he lunges?
7c) Should I do the same thing if he just applies pressure, but doesn't actually bite?

8. How do I establish a contact call without encouraging screaming?

9. What is the best flight suit/harness? Should I get an actual flight suit, or just harness, or both?

10. What are some good tricks to teach?

11. Can I use space heaters?

12. Can I use fans?

13. How important are air purifiers?

14. How long after branches are dead/on the ground are they useable for homemade perches?

15. What temperature of water should I use when showering him?

16. How do I know if my water is safe for him to drink/bathe in? It's well water.

17. My shower makes this horrid noise when the water comes on... It's like a really loud groaning from the pipes. Is this going to scare him terribly or will he get used to it?

18. I got him a foraging toy that he has to tip forward to get a treat out and I plan on hanging it in his cage. Should I put his pellets in this so he has to forage for them or should I just put them in his bowl? Or should I put a few nuts in this when I leave for class each day?

For people that don't know: He is an 8 year old Goffin's Cockatoo that is a rehome. I'm getting him on June 30th.

These are all just questions that are specific to my lifestyle or ones that I can't seem to find a direct answer to online or in books.

Thank you guys!!! :heart:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow! That's a lot of questions!:) I'll try my best as a 'too owner to answer them!:o:

1. Can a bird be around campfires/bonfires? Fireplaces?
- I wouldn't risk it but that's just me. Outside, if you can stay out of the smoke, it's probably ok for short periods of time.

- I am not a cook. Almost everything I give my guys is raw. Most fruit and veggies are better fed fresh anyway, but not all. You shouldn't have any problems with feeding warm food and hormonal behaviors. Many will tell you to even do a warm mash from a spoon the first few weeks he's with you to give him a feeling of comfort which isn't a bad idea.

- Like I mentioned above, I feed most of mine raw that get chopped by hand or in a food processor. Some are better nutritionallly if lightly steamed but I'm a bad one for telling you which ones. We do do frozen veggies on occasion and that can work well too.

4. How long can veggies last if I chop them up in bulk and freeze them?
- Good question. Since I have a large flock, I almost never have enough to freeze anyway and my guys seem to like it better if it's fresh. I would say a month or two in the freezer is probably fine.

5. Should pellets be in cage 24/7? If not, how much should I give, and how often?
- I always leave pellets available to all my guys 24/7, but I'm finding that I have a weight issue with one of my Amazons and I'm going to have to start regulating what she can and cannot eat and what's available when as well as getting her on some kind of a decent exercise schedule. All my other birds are good to go though.

6. What would you say is the best feeding schedule? (I was thinking breakfast of fresh veggies/fruits, lunch of a few nuts and pellets, and dinner a mash/birdie bread... This sound alright?)
- Offer what they aren't terribly fond of early in the day and give treats at night after they've eaten so they don't fill up on just the treats. Work veggies and other food that will spoil in whenever it's easiest for you to be home to change them, especially cooked foods. Raw foods can stay in the cage longer and I've never had an issue with leaving stuff like that all day but anything cooked that can spoil doesn't stay for more than an hour or two.

7a) What should I do if he bites? (I've heard everything from push back into them to pull away, grab their beak, and say 'No!' I've gotten so many mixed answers on this one.)
7b) Should I do the same thing if he lunges?
7c) Should I do the same thing if he just applies pressure, but doesn't actually bite?

You're best bet is to always try to avoid the bite if at all possible. Having said that, they do bite. I've heard that you can get them to release if you push into their beak but I've tried it and it doesn't work. I rarely get bit anymore because I've had my biters long enough to read their body language and back off when I know they're serious about chomping me but I still get bit and did get bit by one of my CAG's this weekend. He's like a vice grip and I literally had to pull him off my hand. Didn't pay attention to his body language and the bite was all my fault. Lunging can be part of that body language too...it will be something you will need to learn as you grow with your new bird. Some birds are really good at giving you a little, almost mini nip when they want you to stop doing something. My Timneh is good at this. I take it as a warning and thank my lucky stars. Once again, it's something that you're going to have to learn about your bird over time.

8. How do I establish a contact call without encouraging screaming?
- This is a good question that I'm not quite sure how to answer. We have two 'toos at home and one is a screamer and one isn't. Reggie D2 will scream for anything if he can't see me and I've never been able to break this habit of his. Our RB2, Kishka, will screech and carry on every now and then but he pretty much does it because he's happy and playing with toys. The two biggest differences between these birds is that Reggie was an older bird when he came to live with me and had already learned to scream for attention. Kishie was a baby when we got him and he had to share me with other birds, so he didn't get a ton of one on one time, so I think he wasn't completely fawned over the way Reggie was. It could just be personalities too, who knows.

9. What is the best flight suit/harness? Should I get an actual flight suit, or just harness, or both?
- I use the Aviator Harness and find them wonderful with the exception that some birds don't like you putting things over their heads. There is also the Feather Teather that works nicely if this is the case but I have to say, I like the Aviator Harness more and my D2 can get the Feather Teather off fairly easily as well which is a big drawback. We're still working with Kishka and the Aviator...it's a long process for some birds!:)

10. What are some good tricks to teach?
- I did the basics with my grey...turn around, wave, and shake. I tried to do the retrieve with him but he's horribly stubborn. I've found the easiest tricks to teach on command are the ones that involve a natural behavior that they are already doing partly, so all you have to do is treat for it and then shape it. The wave tends to be an easy one for many birds. I'd invest in the book Clicker Training For Birds if you're interested in learning more.

11. Can I use space heaters?
- I don't but others can probably give you information on which ones are safe.

12. Can I use fans?
- We use fans in some cases but not all. I worry a lot about the Littles (Linneolated Parakeets) that I just got where fans are concerned. We never use ceiling fans when the birds are out and about. That seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

13. How important are air purifiers?
- I don't currently use them but probably should. We just had our furnace serviced and needed a new filter and it was an eye opener to see what was in the filter although not as bad as I had originally expected it to be. With dusty birds, especially for those who aren't used to living with them, the amount of dust they produce can be alarming. You'll definitely find a lot more dust around a lot more often...it literally covers everything!

14. How long after branches are dead/on the ground are they useable for homemade perches?
- Once again, I'm no expert on these questions, I'm too much of a scaredy cat to try outdoor branches. If you live out in the country and know that there are no chemicals being used near you, it's probably something to go for. I don't think they have to be dead branches at all, you could even trim trees. It's all about making sure you clean them off well before giving them to the birds.

15. What temperature of water should I use when showering him?
- You're going to have to learn your bird here. I have a grey who loves, loves, loves ice cold water. My 'toos tend to like it a little warmer but all the birds do get showers outside in the summer with the hose, so that's fairly cold water.

16. How do I know if my water is safe for him to drink/bathe in? It's well water.
- You can have it tested. I've never lived where there was well water, so other than testing or feeding bottled water, I don't have many answers for you.

17. My shower makes this horrid noise when the water comes on... It's like a really loud groaning from the pipes. Is this going to scare him terribly or will he get used to it?
- I would just slowly introduce him to it. Maybe have him hang out on the door to the bathroom when you turn it on at first and see how he reacts to the noise. If it doesn't bother him, you can move him closer. If he gets a little nervous, you know you'll have to back it up a bit.

18. I got him a foraging toy that he has to tip forward to get a treat out and I plan on hanging it in his cage. Should I put his pellets in this so he has to forage for them or should I just put them in his bowl? Or should I put a few nuts in this when I leave for class each day?
- Foraging is great for them and you'll probably be investing in more and more different foraging toys as you get to know him. It's up to you as to what you decide to put into them. Some people feed completely from the foraging toys, others use them more for treats. It's going to depend on you and your bird.

Congratulations on the new Cockatoo. They are a handful but very rewarding!:)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow! I could not have answered better than Jen!!!! :dance4:Jen!

Just to add..... :D I could not live without air purifiers! I use a rabbit air. Outside branches, look in the DIY section and there is a list of safe and not safe wood. I don't use wood on the ground, I cut mine.

Other than that, ditto Jen!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow! I could not have answered better than Jen!!!! :dance4:Jen!

Just to add..... :D I could not live without air purifiers! I use a rabbit air. Outside branches, look in the DIY section and there is a list of safe and not safe wood. I don't use wood on the ground, I cut mine.

Other than that, ditto Jen!
Awww shucks...:rolleyes:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I only have one answer for you.....I worked for a fireplace manufacturer for 17 years...gas and propane fireplaces are ok..but wood is ABSOLUTELY NOT OK....pure poison.. space heaters are fine..just make sure that you read the manufacturer's booklet...absolutely NO TEFLON. fans are ok..but not directly blowing on the bird.....

ShreddedOakAviary

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christine
A few notes....

Branches from outside are great as long as they are not sprayed. Our 'toos2 lovr Apple and Willow. Again though, while green wood is prefered by parrots it does encourage nesting behavoir (so watch and use common sense)

As far as water... the biggest risks in well water are usually metal/mineral content (which you can have tested) and in most states wells are required to be tested. The othee risk is low levels og giardia (despite what avian vets often say they are wrong) giardia is quite common. I use well water here and our aviary does fine. We also treat the flock annually with Ronidazole or Metronidazole.

Freezing food actually removes some of its nutritional value (as well as cooking)

Leaving pellet in the cage is fine (if you notice hormonal behaviour during breeding season I would remove them at night.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
A few notes....

Branches from outside are great as long as they are not sprayed. Our 'toos2 lovr Apple and Willow. Again though, while green wood is prefered by parrots it does encourage nesting behavoir (so watch and use common sense)

As far as water... the biggest risks in well water are usually metal/mineral content (which you can have tested) and in most states wells are required to be tested. The othee risk is low levels og giardia (despite what avian vets often say they are wrong) giardia is quite common. I use well water here and our aviary does fine. We also treat the flock annually with Ronidazole or Metronidazole.

Freezing food actually removes some of its nutritional value (as well as cooking)

Leaving pellet in the cage is fine (if you notice hormonal behaviour during breeding season I would remove them at night.

Oh my! I noticed in your signature block that you raise MM2s and RB2s!:) Love the pinkies and would love to see pictures at your leisure!

By the way, welcome to the Avenue!:)

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Thank you SO much, everyone! You don't know how much I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy days to answer my questions! :hug8:

Jen - Thank you! :)

Anne - Oh. :( Well, you see, I live in my parents' guest house. They have a wood burning fireplace and my mom LOVES her fireplace. She uses it ALL winter long. Our guest house is pretty far from where her fireplace is located, will it be alright? And does that mean I can't take my bird over to her house when the fireplace is burning? :confused:

SOA - So nice to see you here! I know you from Parrot Forums :hug8: Thanks for the advice! I live out in the country, and my parents own a part of the forest, so they're not sprayed. :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Thank you SO much, everyone! You don't know how much I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy days to answer my questions! :hug8:

Jen - Thank you! :)

Anne - Oh. :( Well, you see, I live in my parents' guest house. They have a wood burning fireplace and my mom LOVES her fireplace. She uses it ALL winter long. Our guest house is pretty far from where her fireplace is located, will it be alright? And does that mean I can't take my bird over to her house when the fireplace is burning? :confused:

SOA - So nice to see you here! I know you from Parrot Forums :hug8: Thanks for the advice! I live out in the country, and my parents own a part of the forest, so they're not sprayed. :)
yes, the birds will be ok if the fireplace is far away...no, I would not bring your bird over there if she is using the fireplace..too risky...their lungs are a lot smaller than ours. however, it would be ok if they were in a different room, in the same house though...definitely not in the same room...be careful of woods you get too for branches....cherry is on the no no list...there are a couple of others that are ok. wer are also on well water..we get it tested every year...

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
1. Cana bird be around campfires/bonfires? Fireplaces?
!
Fireplaces should be okay so long as you have a barrier up so the bird can't fly in and you’re not using any sort of toxic wood or one of those artificial logs and its venting up the chimney good. I would not have one near an outdoor bonfire or campfire with the wind shifting, blowing smoke everywhere. It should live in a smoke free environment. Remember Murphy's Law,if it’s possible for the bird to get into the fire and kill itself, that is likely the very first place it will go if given a chance.

Unless you’re seeing hormonal behavior I wouldn't worry about it. In theory it could trigger hormonal behavior. In practice I haven't seen it.

However your bird will eat them. Some things my birds will only eat cooked. It’s really great to feed raw, but cooked and in the bird is better than raw and onthe floor. Things like carrots and sweet potatoes should be cooked anyway because it makes the beta carotene more available.

4. How long can veggies last if I chop them up in bulk and freeze them? I usedto do that periodically and I'd store things for a couple months unless it got freezer burn.

5. Should pellets be in cage 24/7? If not, how much should I give, and howoften? It depends on how well your bird is eating its veggies. If it refuses veggies because it has a bowl full of pellets, then I'd cut back on pellets until you see the bird eating veggies. Regardless, for the first couple weeks I'd let it have unlimited pellets if that is what it wants and offer the veggies even if it ends up on the floor. Nothing wrong with introducing new stuff right away, but don't force a drastic diet overhaul right away. Get a gram scale.That is not optional equipment if you’re going to be modifying diet. Make sure you have the gram scale there the very first day you get him. That way if the bird starts dropping weight if you have to ration pellets, you can compare to how much weight it lost from the stress of arrival, if it gained any of it back and therefor make a decision on how much you need to worry about a little weight loss. It must be a gram scale. Ounces aren't good enough.

6. What would you say is the best feeding schedule? (I was thinking breakfast offresh veggies/fruits, lunch of a few nuts and pellets, and dinner a mash/birdiebread... This sound alright?) Whatever works for your work schedule and gets the food into the birds. I give fresh veggies in the morning, some cooked inthe evening and right before bed I wash the dishes and give them just enough dry food to last them until morning. I try to ration it so they will be out of dry food by mid-morning so that even if they don't like their veggies, they get to sit and look at them all day while hungry. Generally that will make them eat what’s good for them without making them starving hungry all the time. Somebirds I don't have to ration their food because they will self-regulate.

7a) what should I do if he bites? (I've heard everything from push back intothem to pull away, grab their beak, and say 'No!' I've gotten so many mixedanswers on this one.)
Part of it depends on what appears to be the reason for the bite. Generally I just turn my back on the bird and walk away. If it’s an all-out attack, then I quietly put it back in the cage and ignore it for a few hours. If it’s biting because it wants to go back to the cage, then putting it back for biting just reinforces the behavior. In any case, it’s best to look at how long the bird was out before it started biting and next time put it back before it bites. Avoid the bite whenever possible.
7b) should I do the same thing if he lunges? If he lunges, I just talk to them for a few seconds so they know they didn't scare me away and then I walk away.
7c) should I do the same thing if he just applies pressure, but doesn'tactually bite? It’s up to you. Sometimes that can result in play. Most often I give them a warning and tell them to be gentle and try to distract with a toy.If they won't be distracted, then I leave for a few minutes. Depending on how persistent they are in getting into trouble and destroying property you might not need to cage the bird for a time out. When Ariel was a baby, she'd get nippy while sitting in the lounge chair with me. I'd just get up and walk into my bedroom and close the door for 10 minutes. It was an old chair and I didn't care if she destroyed it. Some of my other birds if I were to walk away, they'd be on the floor eating electrical cords and taking junks out of the wall. So you may or may not need to cage them for a time out.

8. How do I establish a contact call without encouraging screaming? Got me onthat one. I've had no luck with the contact call. I tried and tried and tried with my macaw. The best luck I've had is to just ignore screaming period.

9. What is the best flight suit/harness? Should I get an actual flight suit, orjust harness, or both?
Whatever fits your bird the best, is easiest to get on and off and most comfortable for the bird. If he's never had a flight suit on before, it might be a challenge.

10. What are some good tricks to teach? I do spin, shake hands/feet, wave,crest up, and bounce for cockatoos.

11. Can I use space heaters? Depends on what kind. Make sure it doesn't contain teflon or non-stick substances anywhere. Probably call the company and if they can't tell you, don't use it. Also turn it on high and let it go for several hours outside to burn off the worst of the coating.

12. Can I use fans? Yes so long as it isn't blowing on the bird.

13. How important are air purifiers? Depends on if you or the bird hasallergies. I didn't use one for many year and I didn't have a problem with justa single cockatoo in the house.

14. How long after branches are dead/on the ground are they useable for homemadeperches? I'd rather saw them off the tree and let them dry at home than pickthem up off the ground. Dead branches are likely to have all sorts of pests andif it’s been sitting on the ground, something has probably peed on it.

15. What temperature of water should I use when showering him? Lukewarm. Some of my birds prefer coldish within reason. None of mine like showers in the shower. I generally use a spray bottle set on fine mist.

16. How do I know if my water is safe for him to drink/bathe in? It's wellwater.
If its city water and you have good pipes, it’s probably okay. If well water,make sure it’s tested. If it’s an old house with metal pipes that rust, then I'd go with bottled water from a municipal source.

17. My shower makes this horrid noise when the water comes on... It's like areally loud groaning from the pipes. Is this going to scare him terribly orwill he get used to it? Depends on the bird. Maybe just get him used to hearing it from a distance. For that matter, your first several trips to the shower if he isn't experienced will probably be with him sitting on the curtain rod enjoying the mist rather than getting wet. Take the shower thing slow.

18. I got him a foraging toy that he has to tip forward to get a treat out andI plan on hanging it in his cage. Should I put his pellets in this so he has toforage for them or should I just put them in his bowl? Or should I put a fewnuts in this when I leave for class each day?
I would start out with everything in his bowl. My goffin's is a foraging fiend;however I had to teach her to be that way. She wouldn't forage for her previous owner and left to her own devices would sit and ignore a foraging toy for months no matter what it contained until I taught her how to use them. I'd put an assortment in there initially, but make sure his base diet is easily available.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I only have one answer for you.....I worked for a fireplace manufacturer for 17 years...gas and propane fireplaces are ok..but wood is ABSOLUTELY NOT OK....pure poison.. space heaters are fine..just make sure that you read the manufacturer's booklet...absolutely NO TEFLON. fans are ok..but not directly blowing on the bird.....
I would like to reinforce Anne's NO to fireplaces (gas/propane can burn incompletely endangering the bird) and absolutely no to anywhere near campfires. There is only one brand of space heater that I'm aware of that has no Teflon in any of their units and that is LASKO space heaters.

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Wow, I again want to thank everyone so much for replying! :hug8:

You guys are the greatest!

I will definitely take caution with the fireplace. I don't think I'll be bringing my bird to my mom's house anyway because she has 4 cats... :eek:

I think Ricco will stay at my house or outside :) (Harnessed of course, or in a cage)

Status
Not open for further replies.