• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lost Blue and Gold Macaw?

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
My boyfriend and I just saw a Blue and Gold Macaw fly by. I checked our local lost bird sites and saw nothing. We are in Jurupa Valley, CA. The bird was heading Southwest on Highway 60. We saw it at the Pyrite exit. If anyone out there knows anything about the bird please let me know or the owner!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd suggest contacting Parrot Alert and posting the sighting - it is free and may help someone find their lost B&G.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Yikes...hope that baby gets home. It may also be someone free flying their macaw. A lot of people do that in Phoenix and their macaws fly all over the mountains and then come back...I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it scares the crap outta me, but people do it.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Yikes...hope that baby gets home. It may also be someone free flying their macaw. A lot of people do that in Phoenix and their macaws fly all over the mountains and then come back...I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it scares the crap outta me, but people do it.
Wow! I don't think I could ever do that! I would be worried sick until they got back...if they got back! Though I can understand the desire to let them fly freely as they were meant to.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
We have a lot of Feral Parrots here in Californi
How well I know... I lived in Pasadena for a short time and the grey and green parrot population is huge. So huge, and now inbred, that the people of Pasadena are trying to get them classified as a species...the Pasadena Parrot.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I live in Sylmar, and we have flocks of Redheaded Amazons along the Angeles National Forest Foothills. Huge flock of them Lives at the Veterans' park .

Now if only a pair of Gang Gang Cockatoos would land in my back yard ...:waitsws2:

Here's a link

The California Parrot Project

Last edited:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Now if only a pair of Gang Gang Cockatoos would land in my back yard ...:waitsws2:
Thanks for the link! Very interesting! Never heard of a Gang Gang Cockatoo...thank goodness for the internet! In my day you had to get an encyclopedia and look things up! Sometimes you even had to go all the way to the library!:roflmao:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Not... the library! *gasp* :scared4:

;) jk I think most of us remember those days.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Thanks for the link! Very interesting! Never heard of a Gang Gang Cockatoo...thank goodness for the internet! In my day you had to get an encyclopedia and look things up! Sometimes you even had to go all the way to the library!:roflmao:
YAY! Somebody else who remembers encyclopedias and libraries (not to mention BOOKS)!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
@Alien J Unless I'm wrong your heritage is from the Netherlands and I'll tell you the story about when we moved into the house we are in (one story only). We have a t.v. in what were our sons' bedrooms and another in the family room. There was an argument initially about the front room of the house which has a fireplace and I flatly refused to have a t.v. in there since we have a nice radio/record player in the room. My sons both complained because "what would anyone do in there?". My answer was "read". "Oh mom, nobody reads anymore." Really? What do you do when you get messages on your cell phones? That's different.

As it so happens, the front room without a t.v. is now a place where hubby reads the newspaper (yes we do get a printed version of the news), listen to music (one of our radio stations has a "flashback" to a past year every Saturday morning) AND has now turned into the room the guys (sons, friends & hubby) play backgammon in. So much for the "what will we do in it". We also occasionally get a glimpse of the hummingbirds that come to the feeder in the front window. And watch the bunnies & baby bunnies, chipmunks, squirrels and birds that come to the bird feeder and water.

And I am also an "alien" technically - I was born in Brazil.

P.S. WE DO NOT HAVE A T.V. IN OUR BEDROOM.:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Last edited:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Unless I'm wrong your heritage is from the Netherlands
That's wonderful!

Actually, Van Eyck is a married name (my late husband). My maiden name is Rush! I'm so many nationalities that I could never be prejudiced bcuz I would have to hate myself! Let's see, German, Czechoslovakian, English, French and Native American (Cherokee).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
That's wonderful!

Actually, Van Eyck is a married name (my late husband). My maiden name is Rush! I'm so many nationalities that I could never be prejudiced bcuz I would have to hate myself! Let's see, German, Czechoslovakian, English, French and Native American (Cherokee).
My (married) surname is Armenian and my maiden name was Shearburn White (sounds really high-and-mighty, doesn't it?). As for (known) heritage it's English, Scottish, Irish, German, U.S. (from a plantation, not confirmed) and French. Goodness knows what else I'd find if I had a DNA test done. I (and my brother RIP) were born in Brazil, Daddy was born in Argentina (1st generation) and Mum was born in Brazil (2nd generation). You and I, and many others here, are all part of the big world we live in. It is our own personal mixes that make us all special and important to this world we live in. :hug9:

Last edited: