• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing the Trust of Your Caique

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Pretty much that. Just lots of little low impact bites.

Gracie_Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
I love both birds, but since you're a first time owner, unless you feel strongly about getting a caique, I'd suggest a GCC. I've owned green cheek conures, and compared to other birds, they're quiet. Also, they're easier to handle than caiques, just because in most cases they're not as energetic. That's not to say that they're not a big commitment. Any bird you get will require lots of time and love. From what I understand, caiques are very rewarding birds to have as well, but require a bit more experience. Which ever bird you choose, I hope you have a good life journey together!

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
How Loud?. Buy an airhorn. O
My lovely husband bought a pair of sun conures, BEAUTIFUL things. OMG. SCREAMED. So loud. We have macaws. They are quiet. They will sometimes call, but not often, and they can be loud if they want to, but they usually use a subdued house voice. The sun conures... LOUD PIERCING SCREAMS ALL THE TIME. I thought about leaving my husband the the conures and just moving to anywhere, maybe North Korea. After about 6 months my husband sold them to a friend of ours who does not mind loud, had sun conures in the past, and was delighted to have some again. Saved a marriage, or maybe my husband's life. So do find out about the particular bird you are wanting to buy/adopt/foster before you bring it home. Maybe some are not as loud as what we had. I prefer the quietness of our two macaws, though it appears we need to rehome them due to my illness. Somethings just don't go as planned.

I am sure you will find the right fit and will have a wonderful time! Good luck and welcome to AA
sherri

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
After about 6 months my husband sold them to a friend of ours who does not mind loud, had sun conures in the past, and was delighted to have some again. Saved a marriage, or maybe my husband's life.
:rofl: