• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing feathers?

paulinepar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
paulinepar
Hello,
Plz help any suggestions would be helpful

I am really trying to find out if my canary is just molting or is sick of some sort.
She is a female i am not sure on her age as she doesn't have a band on her leg. I know it's a female as the owner at the pet store mentioned to me. She had 4 babies last year and ever since then it seems like she has lost most of the feathers around her beak and bottom of the neck area. I am not sure what to do with her anymore. I have tried giving her medicine for scaly mites although she is a house bird. I only put her out when the weather is nice for about 1 hr and then she comes back in.

Recently i caught her rubbing her face against the cage bars. I am not sure if she is itchy or she has found a bad habit of rubbing her face against it. Anybody else's bird have this or do this? If so what might of caused this and how can i help her get her feathers back?

Her cage is always clean i give her a bath once a week. She gets fresh water daily. I give her fresh lettuce and a boiled egg once a week besides her seeds. Her droppings are normal. no diarrhea or discoloring.

Lastly, I have noticed her dropping a few big feathers. When is probably an indication of a molt, however, the feather loss by her beak and neck area has been missing since last year after having 4 chicks.

20170516_144327 (1).jpg 20170516_144327.jpg 20170516_144327.jpg 20170516_144327.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew