• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing faith in myself

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Diet is an issue as there is very little he will eat. I have weaned him off sunflower seeds and he will now eat some pellets but mostly he eats nuts (I am trying to reduce those) and he will eat egg, apple and peas (if hand fed). That is about it. Once on a while he may take a carrot. He has gained weight (from 400g to 410) so the vet wants him to excercise and cut down on nuts and is saying he still needs out of his cage 4 hours a day.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
#1 about your post on out of cage time - don't hesitate to take care of you during that. If he's being a stinker, he can stay in the cage. It's far better that he's in a cage with someone that loves him vs being rehomed with someone that may mistreat him during hormonal times.

In this house, chop rules. @aooratrix made an awesome one that they love.

You can also try cooked sweet potato. You can put it in small balls and roll in crushed nuts or pellets. Or.......sweet potato fries. Cut up into fries, put a little coconut oil in a bag and shake them, perhaps a little cinnamon (ceylon not the other kind) then bake them. You can enjoy with them.

My guys like red bell peppers too.

MCraig

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Megan
My amazon will eat Zupreem Nut Blend but won't touch the harrisons or Tops. What type are you trying to feed? I'm thinking the nut blend may be a good option for you??

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My amazon will eat Zupreem Nut Blend but won't touch the harrisons or Tops. What type are you trying to feed? I'm thinking the nut blend may be a good option for you??
Actually he has started eating that brand. I really think part of the problem was his beak. Since I got trimmed (second time) he eats pellets.

And right now he is trying to crack an almond shell! He has never done that. He has been working on it for 20 min! Again, i think his beak was causing a lot of problems. He is biting a lot more things now...it is just unfortunate that I am one of those things.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:gbh:

Oh Dear! I'm so sorry things have been tough. You've got to be careful w/ thinners & biting. I agree about caging. When my Dad passed last yr & we inherited Buddy, after we moved him here to my house... He was secluded the 1st few months. He was in the spare room alone except the hours where I'd visit. He'd only come out of his cage in the evening for a few minutes. We made some mistakes because we were unprepared. However w/ him we learned & now he has more people than cages. It didn't hurt him. Mommy's & Daddys need time outs too!

Later in the summer he got moved. Switching the cage to the living room helped calm him. Also, changing the inside of his cage helped.

Is there a way you could do that. Switch their cage positions.

I found this little write up & I thought it may help w/ a new idea for you. I came across this in my readings. Not sure if it's something that may work or even be affordable. Maybe instead of a playgym. Travel/sleep cages to go around.

Pamperedpeeps Aviary-Â Sleep Cages

:grouphug: Squishies to you & yours! A whole Great Big time out may do all of you well.;)

Rain & Buddy :mrha: