• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing faith in myself

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Glad to hear Coco is back to being "himself". I don't particularly like that phrase as this new persona he had on for those 10 weeks is also "himself".

I know that TD is just a cockatiel, a far smaller birdy (with a much smaller beak for biting), but since he turned a year old (on May 1st) and lost all his girlie yellow tail feathers, he has shown his multiple personalities. One of them I call Randyosaurus for obvious reasons. The other is that of Ambrose Burnside. Story soon on that side of his character. But, they are all TD.

Whether he's attacking me bcuz my hand has to come into his cage to change his papers on days we can't have fly time (our term for out of cage time...and he has never bitten me hard, though I can feel it coming), flirting with me, "doing" anything that he can stand behind, asking for tickles then immediately "attacking" my finger when I oblige, or whistling a made up song from pieces of Andy Griffith, Jingle Bells, Beethoven's 5th and Don't Worry, Be Happy" and giving kisses, or screaching incessantly.... I love him...no matter what. Just like you love Coco. Just like we all love all our birdies.

When you love someone, you want what's best for them. Because of this, I have often seriously considered rehoming TD. Living full time in an RV, especially with two dogs (one who barks at everything...day and night) means that TD often doesn't get a lot of the things people say he really needs. I doubt he has ever had 10-12 hours of undisturbed sleep in his life. I am a night owl and in an RV, you can't put him in his own room. He doesn't get to be out of the cage, just hanging out with me for hours...ever. We're lucky if he gets an hour or so out 3-4 x a week. A lot of that hour is spent cleaning his cage, rather than just spending time together. I wonder if he wouldn't have a better birdy life with someone in a more traditional style of living.

But I love him so much. I talk to him and interact with him ALL day long. He has not been out of my sight for more than a couple of hours almost his entire life. He is the happiest little creature I've ever known. I would be lost without him. The day I don't hear his little voice whistling Andy Griffith when he wakes up (which he has done every morning since he was just over two months old) will be one of the saddest days of my life.

All this notwithstanding, I am quite often sure that I am not that good of a parront. I fail miserably, so often, at so many things with him that I spend a lot of time crying about the things I mess up and the things I can't do for him. So, you're not alone in that emotional state.

Geez, looks like I wrote a chapter of a book here. Thanks for letting me vent! So glad you're doing better. Say Hi to your flock from TD and me!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
@Alien J

Thanks for being so honest and supportive. TD is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have him.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
human hunting season.....
:faint::hehe:

Foraging with MC is easy. I pout a stainless steel bowl in the bottom of his cage in the corner. I put a few foot toys in it. I also drop a senior nutriberry in it each morning. He has to go through foot toys to get to the nutriberry.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Sigh. All seemed calm and then another jump attack. Nailed me twice from across the room and vet clipped his wings. Bleeding won't stop. Darn blood thinners. One step forward and two steps back.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sigh. All seemed calm and then another jump attack. Nailed me twice from across the room and vet clipped his wings. Bleeding won't stop. Darn blood thinners. One step forward and two steps back.
Hang in there. It's always darkest before dawn.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was worried that your guard would relax after he got on you and he didn't bite the last time. It's been almost two years since I've had to deal with a raging Henry. I'll always be guarded and will never have complete trust again. How far can Coco fly? What exactly did the vet clip? I'm on the conservative side for my clipping on both of my zons ... which may not be conservative to others but I clip the first six flight feathers but only halfway. I hate doing it but it's the only safe way for me to give them their all day freedom out of their cages. One alternative I thought about for you would be to do something similar to what Saroj has done with the ceiling mounted curtain around BScoots cage. It could be a clear shower curtain as well. He would be able to have freedom, unable to fly to you and your smaller birds would be safe as well. Just an idea. Wishing you all the best dearie!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so so sorry.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
:bluhug:
Hang in there!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

Oh no! I didn't realize you are on blood thinners either... I've seen someone bleed from a minor injury while on them, and it's just plain scary. I'm so sorry!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Oh no! I didn't realize you are on blood thinners either... I've seen someone bleed from a minor injury while on them, and it's just plain scary. I'm so sorry!
Yeah. There has been a lot of blood. His wings are clipped - first six, but he can jump across the room. He actually jumps better than he ever flew. All was calm and I went to Cricket and Watson's cage to give them carrots between the bars and Coco launched onto my back again. I thought the distance would be too far, but no.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does he jump on you if you're facing him?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That is a big concern with you on blood thinners. My hubby is also on blood thinners so I completely sympathize. Maybe consider a couple more flight feathers as much as I hate to suggest it. Be cautious and never turn your back on him. You will get into a routine as will he. Bless your heart and your boo boos... hugs!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Does he jump on you if you're facing him?
He has. Slammed into my chest and bit the bridge of my nose and took a notch out of my ear.
Mostly it is my back though as I give him wide berth...not wide enough obviously

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
He has. Slammed into my chest and bit the bridge of my nose and took a notch out of my ear.
Mostly it is my back though as I give him wide berth...not wide enough obviously

I'm trying to think outside the box here... I'm wondering if there is something you could wear at the times you have to expose yourself to him? I'm thinking of one of those cape things they wear in the medical field to guard against x-rays or something? They are thick and possibly not easy to penetrate...?

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary

I'm trying to think outside the box here... I'm wondering if there is something you could wear at the times you have to expose yourself to him? I'm thinking of one of those cape things they wear in the medical field to guard against x-rays or something? They are thick and possibly not easy to penetrate...?
You could get one of those rib cage guards that horse back riders wear. It would protect your entire torso.

Then again, maybe a space suit - helmet and everything - would be the better way to go at this point. :hehe:

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hang in there... your fids are so lucky to have you! Having an Zon in the house is testament to that fact! Remember the good and try to forget the bad! Wish we could all lend a helping hand! :sadhug2:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I still think your best shot is either cage him for the next 4-6 weeks or work out a different place in the house (bird proof a room) that you don't HAVE to be in for an hour a day and put him in there during that time with the door closed.
Hormones don't just instantly settle. They come and go and trend downward as you move toward fall and winter. But, any given day can be more or less hormonal than others. I can handle my pet male nape right now so long as a female amazon isn't present. I still have to watch it and I don't trust him, but he's good hanging out in my bedroom for a little while each day. I can even go in there and interact with him relatively peacefully. Once I bring him back to the living room, all bets are off and his absolutely not allowed on top of his cage.
Just an aside, I don't think clipping more will help. My previous experience is that when it comes to aggressive jumping attacks and flight due to fear, clipping more won't help. There is a certain distance they can get with just a jump and flap wildly that unless you go to the extreme of even clipping secondaries, a few more feathers will not make a difference.
I was surprised when I saw his photo a few days ago in a different post. I didn't know he was a red lored. That's a little unusual for one of them to be so aggressive. Just goes to show, an amazon is an amazon regardless of species.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another thing you might try is a small diet. I think I remember you saying he was a bit fat, and his picture in the Amazon Roll call thread makes him look a little that way. Fat birds have more persistent hormone problems in my experience. I wouldn't normally suggest someone put their bird on a diet just because of hormones. But, if he's a little fat already and needs to loose some weight anyway, a minor calorie deficit might help get his head screwed on straight again. That is, with your vet's consent.
Actually I was just reading a bit on cortisol levels and body score in kestrels where kestrel fledglings with the highest(fatest) body score had more elevated cortisol levels after handling than birds with a lower body score. I know there was a couple other articles somewhere I was going to read about a similar concept. You might try handling this with diet. Possibly post in the Healthy Highway (?) section to see if there are any nutrition geeks on here that can make some suggestions on using diet to reduce hormones. Off the top of my head, since he's an amazon I'd make sure not to reduce protein content but up the low calorie veggies like greens, zucchini and red peppers for vitamin A and reduce seed. I'm totally not a nutrition person. Someone else can probably talk about it in a more sophisticated manner.

Last edited: