• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lorikeet laid egg

Pinion King

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dale
My just over 4 year old rainbow lorikeet decided to reveal that he is actually a she when I found an egg in the cage this morning. The egg was laying on the bottom of the cage and he, she, didn't seem to care. So I removed the egg. Only to find out later I wasn't supposed to.

Got home tonight and his, her, whole personality has changed. She's not making any noises, when I get home she normally goes nuts but all I got was a scared squawk and she bolted to the back of the cage. She did eventually come out to me. She sat on my shoulder all night just cleaning herself not interested in her toys, exploring or getting into and out of strange situations. She did have a brief bath when I put one near her.

I put her back in her cage when I was preparing to go to bed and instead of climbing up to her "house" (one of the triangle fluffy things) to sleep, she has gone into the darkest corner and is hiding there.

Do I need to worry about anything or is that normal? She gets her dry mix, has never cared for wet mix, and plenty of fruit and veg and is out of her cage and with me pretty much when ever I am home.

Thanks...Dale

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Both of my birds would lay eggs. I suggest putting a fake egg or a very large white marble your bird can't swallow in place of where the egg was.

My CAG generally didn't care much for her eggs, but would lay a new one if I took her first one away too soon. My Meyer's insisted on incubating her eggs. I let her sit on them in her food bowl for a while, and yes, she did get pissed when I removed them. She held it against me.

Sounds like your bird might lay another egg.

I'd also be more careful about cuddling the bird too much, which may stimulate it too much sexually.

Good luck.

Pinion King

Real Name
Dale
Thanks MnGuy,

So the phase will pass and my loud, pain in the #$$ Charlie will be back?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks MnGuy,

So the phase will pass and my loud, pain in the #$$ Charlie will be back?
Yeah, she should. But every bird is different. My Meyer's would go broody for a long time and get cage aggressive. She would be unhappy with me for a while when I removed her eggs (after first letting her sit on them for a good length of time), and refuse to come out for days.

My grey was the opposite; wasn't cage aggressive and would come out anytime.

Pinion King

Real Name
Dale
Well Charlie has returned to normal but with a couple of differences.

She is eating more and her faeces has changed.

It used to be the colourful explosion that Lorikeets are known for, now it is more water like and absolutely sticks! You can smell it on her when she is out of her cage and when I uncovered her cage this morning I almost threw up from the smell. Other than eating more her diet hasn't changed.

Not sure what is going on.