• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lorikeet feeding

evie

Moving in
hiya again all,

Just looking for abit of advice about feeding, not sure if I'm giving her too much. She's 12 weeks old, giving her a wet mix each morning and each evening. Also providing some fruit/veg each morning and each evening. She's eating it all, but seems like a lot of food. She screams for it in the mornings. I've not been giving her any dry Lori mix, should I be doing that.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Kimally

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kim
I am also the owner of a baby lorikeet. My scaly breasted is 11 weeks. I am also wanting good advice as she likes to sample my dinner and I'm not sure what she is allowed

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds pretty much the same as I feed my lorikeets. I don't give dry mix either. As far as what she can eat off your plate - any healthily cooked vegetables or fruit will be fine. My lorikeets will always want the food my plate, no matter if they have the exact same in a bowl of their own. In fact, the exact piece of food on my fork, headed to my mouth, must be theirs. It became too much of a pain to eat in front of them because of this, so I no longer do.

evie

Moving in
Mine seems to love spinach broccoli and carrot, she loves apples too, and mango, won't touch a banana tho. She always wants what I'm eating and tried stealing my cinnamon donut today, she got a sneaky taste in, and then I fretted rest of day whether she'd be ok lol. I know not to feed them advocado or chocolate and obviously alcohol too, but seems to me trial and error to find out her likes. I did try giving her the purée baby fruit food that's just 100% fruit but she likes to nibble the fruits I find. Obviously loves the bottlebrush I cut for her. She's very quiet tonight though as we moved her into her larger permanent cage, which is 5x the size of her temporary one, she's got all her toys and bits in there so giving her some space to settle back into it.